Join Early Retirement Today

Here we go! Class of 2017 checking in!
Old 01-12-2017, 11:30 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Here we go! Class of 2017 checking in!

So tomorrow morning I do my exit interview and say good bye to a 30 plus year career in Aerospace. It's been a great ride and I am stoked about my future. I have literally been thinking about tomorrow for decades. I knew in my early twenties I was going to call it quits early. I wanted to retire at 55 but I missed it by one year. At 56 my DW and I still have plenty of energy to enjoy the next few years doing fun stuff. My plans for this year are a couple of cruises, a road trip to Key West, an Alaskan fishing trip with my buds and spending some quality time up at my cabin! I have enjoyed some free wise advice on this forum through the years and for that I am grateful!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2017, 11:35 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations. Savor the day!

Old 01-12-2017, 11:48 PM   #3
Dryer sheet aficionado

Congrats!! Love your attitude and hope you have a blast!
Old 01-13-2017, 05:20 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Fantastic! I'm joining you in 11 weeks.
Old 01-13-2017, 05:49 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations and have fun!
Old 01-13-2017, 10:32 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Four more work days for me. I'm out January 20. I am giddy with anticipation. I just scheduled a visit from the cable company for the 25th between 10:30-12:30. Before this would have been a real headache. Now it's no problem...it's not like I have to sneak away from work.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:56 PM   #7
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMAN View Post
So tomorrow morning I do my exit interview and say good bye to a 30 plus year career in Aerospace. It's been a great ride and I am stoked about my future. I have literally been thinking about tomorrow for decades. I knew in my early twenties I was going to call it quits early. I wanted to retire at 55 but I missed it by one year. At 56 my DW and I still have plenty of energy to enjoy the next few years doing fun stuff. My plans for this year are a couple of cruises, a road trip to Key West, an Alaskan fishing trip with my buds and spending some quality time up at my cabin! I have enjoyed some free wise advice on this forum through the years and for that I am grateful!
How did it go?? Congratulations!!
Old 01-14-2017, 07:43 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Retirement Day

It went great yesterday. Very surreal and giddy at the same time. My buddies took me to Top Golf for lunch then we went on to a seafood place to eat. We are going to celebrate next week since my DW is under the weather.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tork View Post
How did it go?? Congratulations!!
Old 01-14-2017, 09:37 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Good luck in the future.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:21 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sent an email to the boss today making it official my last day is 3/3. I told him verbally last week, but realized both he and I needed it in writing.

Old 01-19-2017, 06:45 PM   #11
Dryer sheet aficionado

I gave my notice today. Talked to my boss and his boss. They were both happy for me and a little sad. 25 years with my company next month. Last day on schedule for February 10. Yee-HAW.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:39 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
Sent an email to the boss today making it official my last day is 3/3. I told him verbally last week, but realized both he and I needed it in writing.

Did you include this meme in your email?
Old 01-26-2017, 08:35 AM   #13
Confused about dryer sheets

Last day

Last day February 28.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:19 AM   #14
Dryer sheet aficionado

July 07, 2017 will be my final day. I am a bit late to the party as I will be 64 and 1/12 years old at that point. Still not sure what retirement will mean for me. I will give myself at least 6 months to decompress, visit my granddaughters (who live in another state) and focus on fitness.

After that I will look for volunteer opportunities or some kind of fun part time work in a field outside my profession.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:16 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Be mindful of the road trip to Key West. Consider breaking it up and plan for a day. You will likely get behind RV's (and others) that will never exceed 30 MPH). Instead of tolerating that, plan a few (or more) veer off points along the way. Maybe a brunch stop, a swing through (or an overnight at) Key Largo, a "we're almost there" margarita (but only one) an hour or so out. Have fun - be patient!
That's the plan!
Old 01-31-2017, 07:57 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

That's the plan!

Good advice Red Badger. We are planning to stay in Key Largo, and maybe Marathon for a some fishing trips. Maybe do some diving as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
Be mindful of the road trip to Key West. Consider breaking it up and plan for a day. You will likely get behind RV's (and others) that will never exceed 30 MPH). Instead of tolerating that, plan a few (or more) veer off points along the way. Maybe a brunch stop, a swing through (or an overnight at) Key Largo, a "we're almost there" margarita (but only one) an hour or so out. Have fun - be patient!