Here's what I'd really like to do with my stash..

Tailgate

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
At Dallas Boat Show today... list price was over 2m, show sale price 1.684m. 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, washer and dryer... huge and beautifully made, everything 1st class (copy of the Robb Report magazine on nightstand. 3 big screen tv's... makes my pontoon boat look like a bathtub toy. One pic is my DW standing on the deck.

Attachments

• IMG_1125 2.jpg
    IMG_1125 2.jpg
    617.9 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_1127.jpg
    IMG_1127.jpg
    627.9 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_1131.jpg
    IMG_1131.jpg
    673.5 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_1130.jpg
    IMG_1130.jpg
    620.4 KB · Views: 105
I could almost buy this with what you'd save. Go for it!

3jml7020.jpg

131016J122E_3JML7982.jpg

1JML2895.jpg

Last edited:
I'd get a leopard cat for 1/3 the cash.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

What is that and how big (looks like maybe 60')? I don't have a clue as to boat prices, but thought that price tag was higher than I would have expected.

What is that and how big (looks like maybe 60')? I don't have a clue as to boat prices, but thought that price tag was higher than I would have expected.

here's a pic of the sticker... I don't know how big it was length wise, but it was huge

Attachments

• IMG_1129.jpg
    IMG_1129.jpg
    602.5 KB · Views: 69
I say go for it!
And now that you've been given permission, please let us know the schedule for the ER.org invitational shakedown cruise.

here's a pic of the sticker... I don't know how big it was length wise, but it was huge
If you look closely at the pics you can see it's an Azimut 54, so a 54-footer. Azimut is a luxury Italian brand, a cut above a SeaRay for example (apologies to any SR owners here, still a good yacht, better value?).

And it's not a boat, (there's no actual rule but) anything over 40 feet qualifies as a 'yacht' - ahem, tsk-tsk, yada-yada. :cool:

Azimut 54 | Azimut Yachts official | Luxury yacht sales

Last edited:
thanks... I probably couldn't afford the deposit :LOL:

I wonder how much commission a salesperson would make on these...probably would only sell a few a year...

Or filling it with 618 gal of fuel...

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum

I'm more the airplane type so I'd like one of these, also for just under $2 mil.

Attachments

• P-51.jpg
    P-51.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 40
A guy down the lake from us has a 127' Christensen mega yacht, and it's a 350 ton hull. It takes a licensed boat captain and 2 other guys to run it. With 12 cylinder diesels, its range is 4500 miles which means he can make the Mediterranean with it. As far as I can tell, such a boat is around $25 million.

The boat comes up from Ft. Lauderdale from time to time. I would assume he's not running Florida licenses, as our state has no ad valorem taxes on boats.

Last edited:
Or filling it with 618 gal of fuel...

Not a boating enthusiast, but I suspect a mere 600-gallon tank of diesel will only get you out for a weekend cruise and back. I read a blog by a couple who moved from a big custom motorhome with a 300-gal fuel tank to a recreational trawler with 10X the fuel capacity. Here's their description of the boat:

The boat is a one-off custom build, a steel hull and aluminum superstructure, completed in 2003. She's 52' long, 15' wide, and displaces (weighs) 85,000-100,000 pounds, with a tonnage of 66 Gross, 52 Net Registered Tons. She's propelled by a single 300 horsepower diesel driving a conventional propeller and shaft ahead of a skeg-hung rudder. A bow thruster allows for easy maneuvering of the single-screw boat at the dock, and hydraulic active-fin stabilizers minimize rolling at sea. With 47.5 feet to the waterline and a full-displacement hull, she has an absolute top speed of 10 knots (11.5 mph), and a cruise speed of 8 knots. With 3,300 gallons of diesel fuel, her range at 7 knots is better than 6,000 nautical miles, more than enough to cross the Atlantic or Pacific oceans.

They did not disclose the purchase price, but I have seen trawlers of the same size but newer going for less than $500K. What impressed me most when reading the above blog was the amount of work he put into it next to fix things up. Some were pretty major, such as emptying and repairing the cavernous fuel tanks.

I think I'd rather go back to work. It would be less stress and physical labor, and they even pay me for it. How 'bout that?

Last edited:
A guy down the lake from us has a 127' Christensen mega yacht, and it's a 350 ton hull. It takes a licensed boat captain and 2 other guys to run it. With 12 cylinder diesels, its range is 4500 miles which means he can make the Mediterranean with it. As far as I can tell, such a boat is around $25 million.

The boat comes up from Ft. Lauderdale from time to time. I would assume he's not running Florida licenses, as our state has no ad valorem taxes on boats.
This one? Yours for under $4MM. Displacement is 193 tons.

1992 Christensen Tri-Deck Motoryacht Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Last edited:
$4M for a boat that the owner claimed to have recently put in more than $2M to update? Good grief! A true money pit.

In 2011, she had a complete exterior paint job at Rolly Marine, new teak decks, and Navy blue window line. In 2009/10 she underwent an extensive $2M complete mechanical refit...​

I've been sailing since I was 12 and have learned a few things about boats along the way.

You sail a sailboat and you drive a stinkpot (sailor's name for motor vessels).

A yacht, is any privately owned boat, size is irrelevant. You do however come across as being pretty pretentious when you call your 12 foot sailing dinghy your yacht and go around wearing a captain's hat. Actually, anyone who goes around referring to their boat as a yacht or wearing a captain's hat comes across as pretentious unless they are a Greek skippering a fishing boat. But you still have to look the part.

This: http://companymanvintage.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/hat.jpg
Not this: http://www.greatergoodsonline.com/shop/images/PKAegeanprofile.JPG

One definition of a boat is a 'hull in the water, you throw money into.'

Those pretty young things in bikinis you see lounging on the deck are called, 'deck bunnies'. Nuff said.

To qualify as a potential DW of a sailor, requires being a Cordon Blue cook who can do wonders with a can of Spam; able to stand a watch single-handed in lumpy seas; capable of rounding up to the wind and coasting the boat to within a boat hook's length of a mooring buoy with ease. Anything less than that may qualify as a first mate depending on other qualities.

Stinkpot drivers are people who cannot learn to sail. Don't buy one even if it is a steal at only 1.6Mil. It will ruin your street cred.

Again there is no actual rule, but 40 feet has long been a widely held threshold between a boat and a yacht.

But the better definition is probably "If you can't afford it, then it's a yacht. Otherwise, it's a boat."

Or 'If you do the work on it yourself it's a boat, if you hire someone to do all the work it's a yacht.'

Other well worn old pearls:

• A boat is a hole in the water you through money into.
  • Owning a boat is like standing in a cold shower tearing up $100 bills.
  • The two best days in a boat owners life, the day he/she buys the boat, and the day he/she sells the boat.
  • Better than owning a boat, is having a friend who owns a boat.
  • BOAT is actually an acronym for 'Break Out Another Thousand.'

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom