Hi. I am... RETIRED

doneat54

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Day Zero. Came in today to turn in my badge and laptop.... and realized on the ride in that I left my badge at home :facepalm: (no worries, my wife works here and can bring it in tomorrow). Actually been using vacation days since 12/23, tomorrow it will be "real". Writing my "good bye" e-mail, just wandering around the cubicle farm chatting, had lunch with my "lunch crew" and took a walk outside on an unusually warm January day in New England.

Part of me still can't believe I made it. But a bigger part of me can. I started telling myself in my 20s I wanted to retire at 55 and I almost made it. I turn 55 in 22 days ;). LBYM hard for 30+ years and 14 months ago, megacorp informed me that my whole job/group was going to be dissolved, and offered me a 3/4yr salary severance, retention bonus and I get my full pension. It could not have worked out any better for me. Truly owe so much to plain old luck. My DW will work for 3-4 more years (if she can stand it!).

So I guess I "qualify" for this forum now. Thanks to all for all the great discussion, perspective and encouragement!!!

A HUGE congratulations, especially on the timing of the severance package!

Sleep in tomorrow. ;-)

Congrats.

Six months after a retiring several people I knew who had not seen me for six or eight months commented on how much better I looked. It took me six months to wind down and another six months to really get used to it.

Wonderful! You must be so excited! So very happy for you!

Congratulations! And thank you for providing a great example of luck being preparation meeting opportunity with the severance package!

Good for you, you made out great!

I got a $200 gift certificate at Bass Pro Shops.

You know instead of a pension, severance and a bonus. But I also got a free lunch - :)

Congrats! Now go out there and enjoy the rest of your life!

Congratulations! :dance: :dance:

Are you going to change your user name? :D

well done, and congratulations! It'll be a new world out there for you!

Congrats!! I'm right behind you!! I hope retirement is everything you want it to be and then some!!

Good for you, you made out great!

I got a $200 gift certificate at Bass Pro Shops.

You know instead of a pension, severance and a bonus. But I also got a free lunch - :)

I got the same, only it was a Cabelas gift card:LOL:. But it did feel good to leave on my own terms.

HOWEVER, to OP, congrats on getting the brass ring:dance:. As said above, you need to be prepared for the opportunity, or its not lucky, just a pink slip with some time to find another j#b.

Congratulations!

I've learned so much here. I'm sure you will too.

Thanks for all the kind words. I checked and do not see a way in the User Control Panel to change my user name to "doneat54".....! Tells you something about my confidence way back when I joined to the forums, huh?

As for "what will I do now?". People who know me well never ask me that question. I am a project person. I have 3 antique cars and started a web hobby business back in '03 (zarwerks.com). I travel, hike and generally amuse myself VERY well.

I can truly say that I have never hated my job, but I can also say that with a few exceptions/moments, I was never passionate about it either. I worked with great people, traveled the world and worked with products that made great differences in Healthcare. But that engagement has ended. Time to move on.

There are no more Sunday nights....

Good for you! Good luck and have fun.

Congrats to you! What great timing on the severance! I was hoping I might be given an early out option this year due to budget cuts but it's looking like I'll have to work the last four months in order to earn my pension. I'll join you soon, but for now please live it up for both of us okay?

Congratulations on your retirement. I retired September 2014 at 56 and haven't looked back after the 4 month adjustment period. Stay busy and healthy.

Back
Top Bottom