'Honeymoon' Phase of Early Retirement

5 yrs retired this August. Never been bored. If all is fine financially (mine is), then it comes down to your mental condition. About 1 1/2 yrs into retirement, at the peak of my honeymoon of never ending adventures, I developed severe muscle tension in my left hip/back. Long story through the medical system, nothing found, but "something" in me was protesting. Still working on it. Not bored, just anxious.

99% of the things happening in my life are good, but I don't seem to be able to offset the 1% bothering me. Yes, I'm a perfectionist........

Just wanted to post a little "contrast" that may be missing in this forum, as that is what makes the good times good. Your ingrained beliefs learned from when you were born are everything, even in retirement.

Beliefs > Perceptions > Thoughts > Emotions > Feelings > Creating > Your Reality

Pretty new age for retiree, eh?

Retired almost 10 years, but @59.

Definitely not "euphoric". People close to me faced real tragedies. I've tried to help where I could. All that planned travel didn't happen. It's hard to say life is wonderful, given the circumstances.

But, I have done some fun things that I couldn't have imagined when I was a boy (climbed a Mayan pyramid last year).

I think the point for the OP is that even though things didn't work out as well as planned, I've never regretted retiring when I did. No job meant that I could always say, "no problem, I can help you out with that", that's been a real blessing.

Lot's of days I've got nothing scheduled, and I like that. It seems I never have trouble filling up the day with enjoyable or useful stuff. But, no deadlines.

Sometimes I think of the S & G lyrics
Got no deeds to do,
No promises to keep,
I'm dappled and drowsy and ready to sleep,
Feelin' groovy

I guess news places have to write something :).

I guess that's one possible set of phases for one set of people.

When I read that I can actually taste vomit in my mouth :). I read it like this
-since 5 you've been told what to do and broken of self direction
-you were able to resist enough to save money to eventually go back to freedom
-after many years you get closer and start dreaming
-you pull the cord and then briefly have a rush of air
-you realize you've been institutionalized so much that you can't take the freedom
-rather than adjusting to it, you create am artificial institutional existence to go back to your drone like comfortable zone

I respect that each person has their own preferences and life choices and so people may vary in their experiences... but that's how I emotionally reacted to that list. I'm not fully ER'ed but I'm fairly sure it won't look like that at all.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Dunno about the stages bit. From day one of ER (13 years ago) I subscribed to the time tested Italian approach of the dolce far niente and it works beautifully for me.

Tomorrow marks 27 years and 4 months since I was engaged in 'gainful employment'...can't say I've missed it.

I am a little over 2 years into a poorly planned retirement but still don't want to take a job. I saved plenty of money but coasting through my days and months not doing much of anything. My boyfriend got his own house so I got there a week at a time but get bored and come home. I like not having to keep a schedule took 2-3 naps a day sometimes then up all night. Today I started to mow the lawn but the mower acted up so it is resting, I can mow more later or tomorrow or hire someone, I still like freedom. I asked my boyfriend if he ever feels like going back to work and he doesn't either, he tends chickens morning and night, helps his cat watch tv, no desire to go to work. His house has the best steel head and salmon river in front of it so he can fish or watch boats on the river.

helps his cat watch tv,

How could anyone possibly claim that a retirement is being misspent if the person in question is helping their cat watch TV? In my opinion, this activity alone justifies all that saving and investing :LOL:

Stage 4, reality: As stage 3. You are not only unemployed now, but also unemployable. Every day you thank your past self for sacrificing so much energy to get where you are today.

+1

Yep, pretty much covers it.

About 2 yrs ago, amid w*rk Hell, I discovered that DW and I were FI, or at least close. DW was skeptical and wanted me to do 2-3 years more time. When we FIRE'd last year, DW was a bit disoriented career-wise. I too struggled just a bit with some guilt and an irrational urge to "do something!".

Well, we've been FIRE'd 14 months now and realize this is the most wonderful and precious time in our lives. I'm finally leaving the crap from w*rk far behind me, and the w*rkmares are gradually subsiding in frequency and intensity. I'm becoming a more peaceful and decent person. Life is great! :dance:

Still, voluntary unemployability is not for everyone. So I'm glad most folks still want to w*rk instead of putting their money (savings) to w*rk. There are plenty of j*bs to do and SS and Medicare to support...

FB
Class of 2015

I am a little over 2 years into a poorly planned retirement but still don't want to take a job. I saved plenty of money but coasting through my days and months not doing much of anything. My boyfriend got his own house so I got there a week at a time but get bored and come home. I like not having to keep a schedule took 2-3 naps a day sometimes then up all night. Today I started to mow the lawn but the mower acted up so it is resting, I can mow more later or tomorrow or hire someone, I still like freedom. I asked my boyfriend if he ever feels like going back to work and he doesn't either, he tends chickens morning and night, helps his cat watch tv, no desire to go to work. His house has the best steel head and salmon river in front of it so he can fish or watch boats on the river.

Cool! Somebody's got to do it. Cat won't pet itself you know... :D

Back
Top Bottom