Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-19-2016, 10:57 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Not sure what phase but I did pick up a part time job a few weeks ago.

Sent from my XT1575 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2016, 11:06 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
+1

I have a Dr's appointment this afternoon and find myself grumbling that I actually have to be somewhere at a specific time. What an inconvenience!
That is so true for me too, especially if the appointment in early in the day (like at 10AM!) which means I have to be up by like 8AM!! Totally cramps my style. (I am a night owl...)

Old 04-19-2016, 11:08 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

Not me, unless you include getting that first cup of coffee as something that I set out to do that day. Gotta have my coffee.
LOL, that is as worthy a goal as any
Old 04-19-2016, 11:14 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Birds1Stone View Post
This is why the mantra is to "retire TO something, not FROM something".
I definitely retired FROM my old j*b - I thought it would kill me or at least shorten my life if I stayed there much longer. I guess I didn't really retire TO anything except to getting some deserved R&R (I am still getting over the work trauma...) and spending more time with my DH (which was difficult to do due to us living far apart due to my job/his job). I was actually thinking of going back to some kind of w*rk after the move (I thought I'd be bored), but the more time I spend being free, the harder it gets to even imagine having to follow some strict hours/rules and answering to people...
Old 04-19-2016, 11:44 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I have a Dr's appointment this afternoon and find myself grumbling that I actually have to be somewhere at a specific time. What an inconvenience!
I'm meeting a former co-w*rker at Costco today who will be on their lunch break, therefore, I am required to be there at a certain time. I also feel slightly inconvenienced...
Old 04-19-2016, 12:31 PM   #46

Another thing I noticed about that chart is the couple of references to your professional networks. When I retired, (and about a year prior) I did the exact opposite. I have zero need for professional relationships (of my former career). However, don't make the assumption that I severed personal relationships from my career. I will gladly have a beer with most folks I worked with, but they best not talk about anything work related!

Sent via mobile device. Please excuse any grammatical errors.
Thank You
Old 04-19-2016, 12:38 PM   #47

Thank You

This is just a public THANK YOU to both for these personal observations.

I will be RE'ing more FROM something than TO something (other than more free time). Seeing these very real success stories is helpful for me and likely others in similar situations after reading all the literature saying this is not the path to a successful retirement, not to mention ER.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
I definitely retired FROM my old j*b - I thought it would kill me or at least shorten my life if I stayed there much longer. I guess I didn't really retire TO anything except to getting some deserved R&R (I am still getting over the work trauma...) and spending more time with my DH (which was difficult to do due to us living far apart due to my job/his job). I was actually thinking of going back to some kind of w*rk after the move (I thought I'd be bored), but the more time I spend being free, the harder it gets to even imagine having to follow some strict hours/rules and answering to people...
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Before retirement, it was hard to visualize what retirement would really be like. I had seldom even had any vacations much less extended time off. So, having read that truism, as we all have, I was kind of concerned that I did not plan to "retire TO something".

For me, that turned out to be complete and utter rubbish. I have had a great retirement and have no difficulty structuring my time without having something I am required to do (either by somebody else, or by me). If I was offered a billion dollars to come up with something I retired TO, I honestly couldn't tell you what that would be. And yet, my retirement has been wonderful. (Or maybe that's the reason why my retirement has been wonderful?)

But YMMV!! We are all individuals. My point is just that this truism does NOT hold for every retiree, not at all. I'm not even certain that it holds for many or most retirees.

Not me, unless you include getting that first cup of coffee as something that I set out to do that day. Gotta have my coffee.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 01:31 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Another one here.I would call the Forbes list ridiculous -- obviously not created by someone who has been there
Been there. Honeymoon lasted about 2 weeks. Can't say I experienced boredom and depression - more like panic when the stock market took a dip. That was 6 months ago. It was not a completely bad thing as it caused me to reassess my investments and get a second opinion from a one-time free Vanguard Advisor consultation. I changed a few things around to be more tax efficient but even if I had left everything the way it was, it would not have been disastrous.

Financial crisis (in my head) averted I still had to adjust to the new life. The most surprising thing about it is that I'm not doing the things I thought I'd be doing. For instance, I thought I was going to be spending most of my time programming personal projects. Instead I got involved with a church and took on a very part-time job tutoring. I am challenged by my new activities and growing as a result. I'd put myself solidly in Stage 5 now. I never would have imagined this life 6 months ago, but it has not been all happy happy joy joy for me.
Old 04-19-2016, 01:39 PM   #49
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolChange View Post
This is just a public THANK YOU to both for these personal observations.

I will be RE'ing more FROM something than TO something (other than more free time). Seeing these very real success stories is helpful for me and likely others in similar situations after reading all the literature saying this is not the path to a successful retirement, not to mention ER.
Great.
I made the mistake of listening to my DF about having to retire to something. For some that's the right way, but not for everyone. I find much of the experience individual, as we all had different pressure(s) while at the j*b. Frankly I ran away from my last position, like others I was becoming physically ill from the nonsense.
Old 04-19-2016, 02:37 PM   #50

This typical Forbes fluff piece annoyed me so much yesterday I couldn't even comment on it. Phases? What phases I didn't have any d*mn phases. Euphoric?? No. I've just been quite pleased to reflect on the fact that a year ago I was having the life sucked out of me, and that's all gone.

What all this has been is one big unfolding adventure, I suppose. Perhaps that's because I've been kept quite busy with long delayed projects. But now that those have all been completed, I'm about to embark on a new adventure of mentoring youth ages 18-24 (I'm scared and enthused at the same time). I might also add that I am still lightly calendaring my days to do at least one productive thing per day (however small) but this is in keeping with my own personality. YMMV.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:01 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

5 yrs retired this August. Never been bored. If all is fine financially (mine is), then it comes down to your mental condition. About 1 1/2 yrs into retirement, at the peak of my honeymoon of never ending adventures, I developed severe muscle tension in my left hip/back. Long story through the medical system, nothing found, but "something" in me was protesting. Still working on it. Not bored, just anxious.

99% of the things happening in my life are good, but I don't seem to be able to offset the 1% bothering me. Yes, I'm a perfectionist........

Just wanted to post a little "contrast" that may be missing in this forum, as that is what makes the good times good. Your ingrained beliefs learned from when you were born are everything, even in retirement.

Beliefs > Perceptions > Thoughts > Emotions > Feelings > Creating > Your Reality

Pretty new age for retiree, eh?
Old 04-22-2016, 11:23 PM   #52

Retired almost 10 years (@48), still in honeymoon phase.
Old 04-24-2016, 06:52 PM   #53

Retired almost 10 years, but @59.

Definitely not "euphoric". People close to me faced real tragedies. I've tried to help where I could. All that planned travel didn't happen. It's hard to say life is wonderful, given the circumstances.

But, I have done some fun things that I couldn't have imagined when I was a boy (climbed a Mayan pyramid last year).

I think the point for the OP is that even though things didn't work out as well as planned, I've never regretted retiring when I did. No job meant that I could always say, "no problem, I can help you out with that", that's been a real blessing.

Lot's of days I've got nothing scheduled, and I like that. It seems I never have trouble filling up the day with enjoyable or useful stuff. But, no deadlines.

Sometimes I think of the S & G lyrics
Got no deeds to do,
No promises to keep,
I'm dappled and drowsy and ready to sleep,
Feelin' groovy
Old 04-27-2016, 02:56 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

I guess news places have to write something .

I guess that's one possible set of phases for one set of people.

When I read that I can actually taste vomit in my mouth . I read it like this
-since 5 you've been told what to do and broken of self direction
-you were able to resist enough to save money to eventually go back to freedom
-after many years you get closer and start dreaming
-you pull the cord and then briefly have a rush of air
-you realize you've been institutionalized so much that you can't take the freedom
-rather than adjusting to it, you create am artificial institutional existence to go back to your drone like comfortable zone

I respect that each person has their own preferences and life choices and so people may vary in their experiences... but that's how I emotionally reacted to that list. I'm not fully ER'ed but I'm fairly sure it won't look like that at all.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 04-27-2016, 03:12 PM   #55

Dunno about the stages bit. From day one of ER (13 years ago) I subscribed to the time tested Italian approach of the dolce far niente and it works beautifully for me.
Old 04-27-2016, 04:16 PM   #56

Tomorrow marks 27 years and 4 months since I was engaged in 'gainful employment'...can't say I've missed it.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 04:29 PM   #57

I am a little over 2 years into a poorly planned retirement but still don't want to take a job. I saved plenty of money but coasting through my days and months not doing much of anything. My boyfriend got his own house so I got there a week at a time but get bored and come home. I like not having to keep a schedule took 2-3 naps a day sometimes then up all night. Today I started to mow the lawn but the mower acted up so it is resting, I can mow more later or tomorrow or hire someone, I still like freedom. I asked my boyfriend if he ever feels like going back to work and he doesn't either, he tends chickens morning and night, helps his cat watch tv, no desire to go to work. His house has the best steel head and salmon river in front of it so he can fish or watch boats on the river.
Old 04-27-2016, 04:52 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by old woman View Post
helps his cat watch tv,
How could anyone possibly claim that a retirement is being misspent if the person in question is helping their cat watch TV? In my opinion, this activity alone justifies all that saving and investing
Old 04-27-2016, 04:52 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
Stage 4, reality: As stage 3. You are not only unemployed now, but also unemployable. Every day you thank your past self for sacrificing so much energy to get where you are today.
+1

Yep, pretty much covers it.

About 2 yrs ago, amid w*rk Hell, I discovered that DW and I were FI, or at least close. DW was skeptical and wanted me to do 2-3 years more time. When we FIRE'd last year, DW was a bit disoriented career-wise. I too struggled just a bit with some guilt and an irrational urge to "do something!".

Well, we've been FIRE'd 14 months now and realize this is the most wonderful and precious time in our lives. I'm finally leaving the crap from w*rk far behind me, and the w*rkmares are gradually subsiding in frequency and intensity. I'm becoming a more peaceful and decent person. Life is great!

Still, voluntary unemployability is not for everyone. So I'm glad most folks still want to w*rk instead of putting their money (savings) to w*rk. There are plenty of j*bs to do and SS and Medicare to support...

FB
Class of 2015
Old 04-27-2016, 04:55 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by old woman View Post
I am a little over 2 years into a poorly planned retirement but still don't want to take a job. I saved plenty of money but coasting through my days and months not doing much of anything. My boyfriend got his own house so I got there a week at a time but get bored and come home. I like not having to keep a schedule took 2-3 naps a day sometimes then up all night. Today I started to mow the lawn but the mower acted up so it is resting, I can mow more later or tomorrow or hire someone, I still like freedom. I asked my boyfriend if he ever feels like going back to work and he doesn't either, he tends chickens morning and night, helps his cat watch tv, no desire to go to work. His house has the best steel head and salmon river in front of it so he can fish or watch boats on the river.
Cool! Somebody's got to do it. Cat won't pet itself you know...