'Honeymoon' Phase of Early Retirement

When somebody tells me they don't want to retire because they are afraid they will be bored, I just scratch my head.

I feel sorry for people who have such an empty life that they can't envision ever not w*rking due to boredom.

It's only been 11 months, but I think I am in the orientation phase now. Kind of trying to figure out what to do next. My days are currently filled with playing my favorite sports, cooking favorite foods, spending more time with/enjoying my hubby, and a lot of investment learning/shuffling money around (I moved from US to Canada) - more time-consuming than I thought because I tend to diddle around. Has anybody noticed that you don't get as much accomplished now compared to when you were w*rking?? Maybe it's just me, but the day flies by - My goal is to get at least one thing accomplished that I set out to do that day.

How come every article in the media always stresses how bad retirement is and that everyone needs to work until they drop?

The folks that generally write/research the drivel are not LBYM. Read one last week that said no one's happy that retired, BS!

During my honeymoon phase of ER, I started missing some appointments (Dr, dental) only to realize, that even in ER, I still need some sort of calendar. Now, I do use a calender to keep myself honest. Other than that, still putzing around carefree :D.

The problem with the chart is that it assumes that you haven't prepared for life beyond w*rk, thus the sobering transition between 3 and 4 when reality sets in.

This is why the mantra is to "retire TO something, not FROM something".

Before retirement, it was hard to visualize what retirement would really be like. I had seldom even had any vacations much less extended time off. So, having read that truism, as we all have, I was kind of concerned that I did not plan to "retire TO something".

For me, that turned out to be complete and utter rubbish. I have had a great retirement and have no difficulty structuring my time without having something I am required to do (either by somebody else, or by me). If I was offered a billion dollars to come up with something I retired TO, I honestly couldn't tell you what that would be. And yet, my retirement has been wonderful. (Or maybe that's the reason why my retirement has been wonderful?)

But YMMV!! We are all individuals. My point is just that this truism does NOT hold for every retiree, not at all. I'm not even certain that it holds for many or most retirees.
My goal is to get at least one thing accomplished that I set out to do that day.
Not me, unless you include getting that first cup of coffee as something that I set out to do that day. Gotta have my coffee. :D

Last edited:
I'm still in the honeymoon phase.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I'm stuck on 3. Occasionally I skip over 4 to #5, but then, I quickly recognize my mistake and get back to #3.

Lay out a schedule for how you will spend your day (#5). Seriously!!!?!

I'm stuck on 3. Occasionally I skip over 4 to #5, but then, I quickly recognize my mistake and get back to #3.

Lay out a schedule for how you will spend your day (#5). Seriously!!!?!
:LOL: :ROFLMAO:

I agree! I love the spontaneity that is not possible while working, but that IS possible in retirement.

I can't imagine how being told what to do and when to do it could be better than choosing what to do when you want to do it (or not do it!).

Best line ever, ERD50!!! I think that says it all.

I have a Dr's appointment this afternoon and find myself grumbling that I actually have to be somewhere at a specific time. What an inconvenience!
You will probably be on time, yet still have to sit and wait, and be just as irritated as when you worked and no free time at all to waste. :)

Not sure what phase but I did pick up a part time job a few weeks ago.

Sent from my XT1575 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

+1

I have a Dr's appointment this afternoon and find myself grumbling that I actually have to be somewhere at a specific time. What an inconvenience!
That is so true for me too, especially if the appointment in early in the day (like at 10AM!) which means I have to be up by like 8AM!! Totally cramps my style. (I am a night owl...)

Not me, unless you include getting that first cup of coffee as something that I set out to do that day. Gotta have my coffee. :D
LOL, that is as worthy a goal as any :LOL:

This is why the mantra is to "retire TO something, not FROM something".
I definitely retired FROM my old j*b - I thought it would kill me or at least shorten my life if I stayed there much longer. I guess I didn't really retire TO anything except to getting some deserved R&R (I am still getting over the work trauma...) and spending more time with my DH (which was difficult to do due to us living far apart due to my job/his job). I was actually thinking of going back to some kind of w*rk after the move (I thought I'd be bored), but the more time I spend being free, the harder it gets to even imagine having to follow some strict hours/rules and answering to people...

I'm meeting a former co-w*rker at Costco today who will be on their lunch break, therefore, I am required to be there at a certain time. I also feel slightly inconvenienced...

Another thing I noticed about that chart is the couple of references to your professional networks. When I retired, (and about a year prior) I did the exact opposite. I have zero need for professional relationships (of my former career). However, don't make the assumption that I severed personal relationships from my career. I will gladly have a beer with most folks I worked with, but they best not talk about anything work related!

Sent via mobile device. Please excuse any grammatical errors.

Thank You

This is just a public THANK YOU to both for these personal observations.

I will be RE'ing more FROM something than TO something (other than more free time). Seeing these very real success stories is helpful for me and likely others in similar situations after reading all the literature saying this is not the path to a successful retirement, not to mention ER.

I definitely retired FROM my old j*b - I thought it would kill me or at least shorten my life if I stayed there much longer. I guess I didn't really retire TO anything except to getting some deserved R&R (I am still getting over the work trauma...) and spending more time with my DH (which was difficult to do due to us living far apart due to my job/his job). I was actually thinking of going back to some kind of w*rk after the move (I thought I'd be bored), but the more time I spend being free, the harder it gets to even imagine having to follow some strict hours/rules and answering to people...

Before retirement, it was hard to visualize what retirement would really be like. I had seldom even had any vacations much less extended time off. So, having read that truism, as we all have, I was kind of concerned that I did not plan to "retire TO something".

For me, that turned out to be complete and utter rubbish. I have had a great retirement and have no difficulty structuring my time without having something I am required to do (either by somebody else, or by me). If I was offered a billion dollars to come up with something I retired TO, I honestly couldn't tell you what that would be. And yet, my retirement has been wonderful. (Or maybe that's the reason why my retirement has been wonderful?)

But YMMV!! We are all individuals. My point is just that this truism does NOT hold for every retiree, not at all. I'm not even certain that it holds for many or most retirees.

Another one here.I would call the Forbes list ridiculous -- obviously not created by someone who has been there

Been there. Honeymoon lasted about 2 weeks. Can't say I experienced boredom and depression - more like panic when the stock market took a dip. That was 6 months ago. It was not a completely bad thing as it caused me to reassess my investments and get a second opinion from a one-time free Vanguard Advisor consultation. I changed a few things around to be more tax efficient but even if I had left everything the way it was, it would not have been disastrous.

Financial crisis (in my head) averted I still had to adjust to the new life. The most surprising thing about it is that I'm not doing the things I thought I'd be doing. For instance, I thought I was going to be spending most of my time programming personal projects. Instead I got involved with a church and took on a very part-time job tutoring. I am challenged by my new activities and growing as a result. I'd put myself solidly in Stage 5 now. I never would have imagined this life 6 months ago, but it has not been all happy happy joy joy for me.

This is just a public THANK YOU to both for these personal observations.

I will be RE'ing more FROM something than TO something (other than more free time). Seeing these very real success stories is helpful for me and likely others in similar situations after reading all the literature saying this is not the path to a successful retirement, not to mention ER.

Great.
I made the mistake of listening to my DF about having to retire to something. For some that's the right way, but not for everyone. I find much of the experience individual, as we all had different pressure(s) while at the j*b. Frankly I ran away from my last position, like others I was becoming physically ill from the nonsense.

This typical Forbes fluff piece annoyed me so much yesterday I couldn't even comment on it. Phases? What phases:confused: I didn't have any d*mn phases. Euphoric?? No. I've just been quite pleased to reflect on the fact that a year ago I was having the life sucked out of me, and that's all gone.

What all this has been is one big unfolding adventure, I suppose. Perhaps that's because I've been kept quite busy with long delayed projects. But now that those have all been completed, I'm about to embark on a new adventure of mentoring youth ages 18-24 (I'm scared and enthused at the same time). I might also add that I am still lightly calendaring my days to do at least one productive thing per day (however small) but this is in keeping with my own personality. YMMV.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom