Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-20-2017, 03:36 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I knew I wanted an early exist within the first 5 years of my tech career. I greatly enjoyed the technical w*rk, but didn't care for the political BS which grew with every passing year as the industry offshored.

When DW and I hit our target number, I joined her in retirement. I gave a short notice, and used the time to clean out my desk and say long, in person goodbyes to my w*rk friends. During the last week, I visited over a dozen people at their desks or over lunch. It was my best week ever at w*rk! Folks told me I had a huge grin on my face

I'm only in occasional contact with a few people after 3 years of FIRE. This is fine with me. We've all moved on.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2017, 05:54 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

After 35 years of building a company, we were acquired; as part of the senior team I was not included in the transition.

I wrote a general note to our 5,000 employees:
"As many of you know, I will be not joining you at [New Company]. [Old Company] and I started our careers together and grew up together and so now, it's only appropriate that we should retire together etc etc "

I did not get a retirement party per se as we were living in Europe at the time, away from HQ. DW threw a small get together for our closest friends in Cannes however, which was quite nice. (and the new company didn't know it but they paid for it!!)

Old 11-20-2017, 06:18 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwp2017 View Post
Go say private goodbyes and shake hands if you can in your last few weeks. Those mean the most.
Great points. I went to lunch many days with soon-to-be former co-workers over the last few months. I also gathered email addresses and contact information that I may have trouble getting after I left.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 06:28 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Not injured. I gave 3 months notice and burned up 2 months of vacation before the official retirement date. I told my boss I was retiring in person so the resignation email was 1 sentence. On the last day I sent a bulk email to colleagues and said goodby. I enjoyed my career there but it was a good time for me to leave. Everyone was happy for me. I got a retirement luncheon about a week before I left. Since then I've met my old work colleagues for lunch and kept in touch through Facebook.

One bit of advice. If you don't like the job you are leaving then don't send out a nasty farewell letter/email. I've seen a few of those and it's just wrong. Let it go and just leave quietly.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:50 PM   #25
Dryer sheet aficionado

Many thanks. Gotta just do it.

Thanks all. I know what I have to do now. It just pretty much means send out an email broad notice of retirement and let it go.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:29 PM   #26

I did like my work, just liked not working better! I gave many verbal comments about going to retire for several months before I set the final date. On my beginning of the year performance goal setting, I put my goal in writing "retire sometime by mid-year". My mgr knew I was serious and I gave plenty of notice for working on replacement. Being typical megacorp they did essentially nothing and I left without any replacement. With 30 workdays to go, I started a countdown clock on my office door. Everyone knew when my last day was going to be. No big parties, just a nice lunch with group co-workers. Then walked out the last day with a big smile on my face.

I have to be honest that I do not miss work at all. Sometimes think about co-workers and have talked to a couple since leaving. Since I moved 1500 miles away soon as I left work, no chance to go back.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:33 PM   #27

I worked at Megacorp for 36 years, and cannot remember anyone retiring. Mega overreacted to the economic downturn of 2008 and laid off their youngest employees and retired anyone 55 years or older--of which I was part of. No gold watch, no dinner, no thank you phone calls from management.

They called as I was driving 300 miles from home, and said tomorrow will be my last day. I stopped the project I was working on, and turned for home.I

When it was all said and done, unemployment for 50 weeks, 5 more weeks vacation, 4 years pay supplement (to age 62), one year severance pay and health insurance to age 65 was worth a whole lot more than a gold watch.

It was the best thing to happen to a bunch of people ready for ER. And it was nothing personal--a straight business decision whicn I can accept. After going to the house at age 58, I really didn't have time to work anyway.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:50 PM   #28
Administrator

I plan to have a big cook-out at my house shortly before my final day.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:35 PM   #29
Dryer sheet aficionado

Out of respect to the president of the company, who hired me 22 years ago and who was my boss for 20 of those years, I wanted to leave on good terms. He was a wonderful boss and I would probably still be working there if he was still actively involved in running the company. Unfortunately, when he took a less active role in the company, the work environment became not very enjoyable for me. I had been up-front about my desire to retire early, however, the original plan was to work a couple of more years. So management was surprised and a little panicked.

I gave 2 1/2 months notice, during which time I trained my replacement as well as I could. I offered to come back and consult if needed (although I really didn't want to). Ideally, I wanted a clean break. On my last day, they threw me a retirement party (low key at my request) and gave me a nice parting check.

On my last day, I did send out a brief email to all employees (about 75 people) thanking them for a wonderful 22 years, but letting them know that it was time for me to spend more time with my retired DH and other aging family members.

I am still in touch with a few co-workers. One is my gym buddy, so we see each other 3 times a week. She keeps me informed about the company drama, which only reinforces the fact that I made the right decision. Oh, and I haven't had to consult yet.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:56 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Sorry, can't help, but wish you the best.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:53 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyp View Post
One bit of advice. If you don't like the job you are leaving then don't send out a nasty farewell letter/email. I've seen a few of those and it's just wrong. Let it go and just leave quietly.
Wise advice. I didn't send out a general email announcement, although did forward my home contact info to several folks.

I left over 3 years ago, but the memory of w*rk is still somewhat painful. The vast majority of folks were great, but a few made it living hell, especially the last few years. Some were in very high places and impossible for me to avoid forever as a mere tech peon.

Sometimes I think I stayed at that gig too long. Perhaps I should have taken a similar j*b at another firm. On the other hand, maybe I intuitively sensed that FIRE was near, something I had been striving towards for decades. I the end, enduring the pain and BS long enough was a very time-efficient way to FIRE.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:19 PM   #32
Dryer sheet aficionado

Well I worked out my best way.

Thanks everyone. I took your experiences and through them came up with my best way. I visited with those who I had worked the most closely with. Had a chance to remember the good and bad. Told my ex-plant manager, who is now at corporate, what a great experience it was to work with him. I expressed my gratitude to my present plant manager for his year long support during my recovery attempt and spoke highly of our HR team for their role as my support group. I got a peace about it all and walked away.
I guess everyone is different about the way they handle this change of life. This seemed to work for me, I worked for a great company we shared a lot of common experiences in my 20+ years there.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:32 PM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

Based on my position as an owner I will tell the other owner about a year before my planned end so we can make arrangements. Maybe 6 months to go I'll tell co-workers. Few more years to go.