How did you guys say Goodbye?

I did like my work, just liked not working better! I gave many verbal comments about going to retire for several months before I set the final date. On my beginning of the year performance goal setting, I put my goal in writing "retire sometime by mid-year". My mgr knew I was serious and I gave plenty of notice for working on replacement. Being typical megacorp they did essentially nothing and I left without any replacement. With 30 workdays to go, I started a countdown clock on my office door. Everyone knew when my last day was going to be. No big parties, just a nice lunch with group co-workers. Then walked out the last day with a big smile on my face.

I have to be honest that I do not miss work at all. Sometimes think about co-workers and have talked to a couple since leaving. Since I moved 1500 miles away soon as I left work, no chance to go back.

Last edited:
I worked at Megacorp for 36 years, and cannot remember anyone retiring. Mega overreacted to the economic downturn of 2008 and laid off their youngest employees and retired anyone 55 years or older--of which I was part of. No gold watch, no dinner, no thank you phone calls from management.

They called as I was driving 300 miles from home, and said tomorrow will be my last day. I stopped the project I was working on, and turned for home.I

When it was all said and done, unemployment for 50 weeks, 5 more weeks vacation, 4 years pay supplement (to age 62), one year severance pay and health insurance to age 65 was worth a whole lot more than a gold watch.

It was the best thing to happen to a bunch of people ready for ER. And it was nothing personal--a straight business decision whicn I can accept. After going to the house at age 58, I really didn't have time to work anyway.

I plan to have a big cook-out at my house shortly before my final day.

Out of respect to the president of the company, who hired me 22 years ago and who was my boss for 20 of those years, I wanted to leave on good terms. He was a wonderful boss and I would probably still be working there if he was still actively involved in running the company. Unfortunately, when he took a less active role in the company, the work environment became not very enjoyable for me. I had been up-front about my desire to retire early, however, the original plan was to work a couple of more years. So management was surprised and a little panicked.

I gave 2 1/2 months notice, during which time I trained my replacement as well as I could. I offered to come back and consult if needed (although I really didn't want to). Ideally, I wanted a clean break. On my last day, they threw me a retirement party (low key at my request) and gave me a nice parting check. :)

On my last day, I did send out a brief email to all employees (about 75 people) thanking them for a wonderful 22 years, but letting them know that it was time for me to spend more time with my retired DH and other aging family members.

I am still in touch with a few co-workers. One is my gym buddy, so we see each other 3 times a week. She keeps me informed about the company drama, which only reinforces the fact that I made the right decision. Oh, and I haven't had to consult yet.:D

One bit of advice. If you don't like the job you are leaving then don't send out a nasty farewell letter/email. I've seen a few of those and it's just wrong. Let it go and just leave quietly.

Wise advice. I didn't send out a general email announcement, although did forward my home contact info to several folks.

I left over 3 years ago, but the memory of w*rk is still somewhat painful. The vast majority of folks were great, but a few made it living hell, especially the last few years. Some were in very high places and impossible for me to avoid forever as a mere tech peon.

Sometimes I think I stayed at that gig too long. Perhaps I should have taken a similar j*b at another firm. On the other hand, maybe I intuitively sensed that FIRE was near, something I had been striving towards for decades. I the end, enduring the pain and BS long enough was a very time-efficient way to FIRE.

Well I worked out my best way.

Thanks everyone. I took your experiences and through them came up with my best way. I visited with those who I had worked the most closely with. Had a chance to remember the good and bad. Told my ex-plant manager, who is now at corporate, what a great experience it was to work with him. I expressed my gratitude to my present plant manager for his year long support during my recovery attempt and spoke highly of our HR team for their role as my support group. I got a peace about it all and walked away.
I guess everyone is different about the way they handle this change of life. This seemed to work for me, I worked for a great company we shared a lot of common experiences in my 20+ years there.

Based on my position as an owner I will tell the other owner about a year before my planned end so we can make arrangements. Maybe 6 months to go I'll tell co-workers. Few more years to go.

Back
Top Bottom