How do pets figure in your retirement planning?

Our last dog passed away almost 3 years ago. At the time, I wasn't sure we would have anymore dogs in the future, however, I have really missed having a dog. We are now getting a lab puppy in a few weeks which I am very excited about. I am fairly certain this will be the last time in our lives when we would get a puppy.

Full retirement is still about 10-12 years away, when DD goes to college. I am thinking our new pup will live until around that time too. After that, I don't think we will be getting any pets because we plan to do a good bit of traveling.

I really like labs or lab/shepard mixes, probably my favorite.
I grew up with lots of different pets , but now we don't have any, and its a conscious decision as it frees us up to travel freely.
Our outside pets just have to revert to nature for a few weeks when we disappear.
It seems to work out fine.

4. How do you deal with living pets in your estate plan?

One of our 4 dogs is pretty even tempered and well behaved. I think we'll leave our entire estate to her, and just count on her to take care of her pack members. The others would blow the money on Pupperoni and squeaky toys.

One of our 4 dogs is pretty even tempered and well behaved. I think we'll leave our entire estate to her, and just count on her to take care of her pack members. The others would blow the money on Pupperoni and squeaky toys.

Our Springer would blow it all on Beggin Strips. It all goes to the GSD.

When I lived in a city, I & pug happily participated in Pug Rescue events. We met other pug owners and would care for friends' pugs during travel.

I took my pug to work every day. Almost everyone adored her and several file clerks were happy to take care of her while staying at my place. It gave them a change to live alone for a bit instead of with roommates. Plus my complex had a jacuzzi and pool.

Now I'm in a rural area. It's hard to find dog sitters. Locals charge $20 - $35 per night, even if they just add my dog to their collection at their house. (My first thought when hearing the quote: "$35/day - do they teach the dog to do dishes?") And there's one kennel charging $30 a day.

So if you're in a populated area, look for a rescue group for your breed.

I'm retiring and moving abroad this summer. My current pug is my juvenile delinquent foster child. Not a nice dog but she would have been put down had I not taken her in. (She was abused before being turned into pug rescue. Messed her up.) She is old and will die within a year. So I will turn her over to Pug Rescue before I leave. All is arranged and foster mums are available. I will donate $40K at that time. Plus they get $$ from my will.

Pugs are great dogs for condos. Very quiet. They shed, so not good for ppl with allergies. But fun little monkeys. I could not live without one.

I plan to join the pug rescue group in my new city. There I will meet owners and breeders, form friends, and find a good kennel. I'll wait until I've settled in. Perhaps I'll foster a few rescues for a few months until I'm ready to get a puppy.

Someone asked about the cost of owning a dog. Men are a LOT more expensive to keep around, in case that person was trying to point out that living with an affectionate dog was an expensive luxury.

NOT ! ! !

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom