How do you order your steak?

• VERY RARE (a good veterinarian could save it)

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • RARE

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • MEDIUM RARE

Votes: 57 41.9%
  • MEDIUM

Votes: 31 22.8%
  • MEDIUM WELL

Votes: 17 12.5%
  • WELL

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • VERY WELL (possibly still on fire)

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • DON'T EAT STEAK/DON'T EAT OUT/DON'T KNOW

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • OTHER (for those who need this choice)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Warmed to body temperature so I can pretend it's fresh kill.

With my voice. Pantomime does not work well in this situation.

For safety's sake, I order it well-done. Otherwise, I'd order it moo-rare. Am I overly concerned?

For safety's sake, I order it well-done. Otherwise, I'd order it moo-rare. Am I overly concerned?
Yes..if you are ordering a full cut of beef.

If it's ground, I'd want it cooked at least medium well.

...The higher grades at higher restaurants are going to whack you at least $20-$25+ for a new york strip or whatever. Then I think one becomes more particular.
This is going to sound strange coming from a NYer, but the NY strip is the least favorite cut of mine. I find it to be too dense with little marbling and sometimes a little tough compared to a nice ribeye or T-bone or sirloin...now we're talking about tender cuts! :clap:

I can't remember the last steak I ordered in a restaurant. The last time I ate a steak...as in slab of meat on a plate...was at a friend's barbecue last month. I crave red meat every once in awhile and will pick up a small steak and broil it in my stove grill pan with a meat press on top. I eat it in a sandwich with lettuce, tomato and onion. Or, I might slice it thin and stir fry it with lots of vegetables and a side of steamed brown and wild rice. I get several servings with this method.

I am not sure I understand the issue. Safe from the problem of what to do if the steak is not cooked right, i.e., one can duck these issues with well done steak orders? Or safety issues? I don't think I am aware of any safety issues with steak except mad cow disease.

Of course it is not just how well it is cooked but also the grade of beef. The lower grades at cheaper restaurants I don't think it matter how you cook it. The higher grades at higher restaurants are going to whack you at least $20-$25+ for a new york strip or whatever. Then I think one becomes more particular.

USDA Prime in the quality steaks-strip, porterhouse, rib costs $24/# and up in a supermarket or butcher shop which sells it. I don't think you can touch this kind of steak in a restaurant unless you pay twice what you suggest.

Ha

I rarely order steak in a restaurant. It's soooooo easy to grill steaks, so I do my own. I only order steak in a restaurant if the restaurant is known to do steaks right - really right. I absolutely loath a charred/black-marked outside of the steak no matter what color the meat is inside - horrible bitter taste. Too many restaurants do just that!

At home I probably eat closer to rare than medium rare - take off grill at 135 degrees internal temp.

Favorite cut - probably rib-eye. I'll buy "natural beef" or grass-fed when I find it, otherwise buy rarely. Occasionally I find a bison rib-eye, those are pretty awesome.

Audrey

P.S. It's ground beef you have to sorry about - medium on a burger is (I think) good enough to kill e-coli. (OK someone above suggested medium-well) For steaks, the outside of the meat is exposed to enough heat that external bacteria are killed, so the internal temperature can be much lower and still be safe.

No heat is high enough to kill mad cow disease thingies (prions?). Cows in the US are now slaughtered at 2 years max age which appears to protect our meat supply. That's the best I know at present.

I guess they also called it a Salisbury steak and it was usually at the bottom of the menu, but always delicious if you weren't too much of a high brow to order it.

Google Image Result for http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_UMasXZAkbgg/SdWHP6NibvI/AAAAAAAABYw/WcPYf1n6ayk/s400/Salisbury+Steak+April+2nd,,+2009+4.jpg

I used to love these kinds of good, filling food back in the day. Liver and onions, fried chicken livers, chicken fried steak, baked chiclen with white gravy, Salisbury steak. Here's one from the history books, and also a regional specialty-"city chicken". Anyone recall that one? It was my favotite lunch in high school.

Ha

I chose medium rare on the poll, but in a quality steakhouse I choose rare. Just like I do with tuna in a decent seafood restaurant.

Leonidas list appears to be pretty accurate. However, when I was in Cattlemen's in Ft Worth (7-8 years ago), they had a sign with the same list, except under Well Done it said Burnt, Dry, and Tasteless. :ROFLMAO:

I believe that city chicken is actually pork. I see it on occasion in the grocery stores here in western PA. It is sold in small chunks with small wooden skewers included.

I must be an exception as I never cook steak at home as I believe if you go to a good restaurant they do it much better than I ever could. That said we probably only eat steak once or twice a year and when we do it is at a better quality restaurant.

BTW am wondering if many on this board prefer their steak rare because they are too frugal to pay for the gas to cook it for a few minutes longer?

I like mine medium. Last time I was in France in March, I ordered a medium, got a blue rare...

R

Yes. I traveled/worked in France for a few years and have been there many times with my DW.

While I enjoy my steak "bloody" and the French Medium suit me, the problem I had with "steak frite" (steak & fries) was the quality of the meat, not the way it was prepared. While the better cuts - tenderloin (filet de boeuf), rib steaks (entrecôtes) and sirloin (faux filet) were OK, some of these were a bit strange, since they do not "age" their meat as we do (in most better steak houses) in the U.S.

Actually (don't read further, if you have a weak stomach :angel: ), my favorite is steak tartare (yes, raw), and I have enjoyed this in other Euro countries other than France....

Even though it may be considered "raw meat", I've never had any with blood. Maybe the "raw dish" was over prepared :rolleyes: ? ...

Actually (don't read further, if you have a weak stomach :angel: ), my favorite is steak tartare (yes, raw), and I have enjoyed this in other Euro countries other than France....

Even though it may be considered "raw meat", I've never had any with blood. Maybe the "raw dish" was over prepared :rolleyes: ? ...

Have to agree with you on the steak tartare, I love the stuff, used to eat it regularly when we lived in Europe. What is weird I hate a steak done rare, but I love the tartare.

BTW am wondering if many on this board prefer their steak rare because they are too frugal to pay for the gas to cook it for a few minutes longer?
I prefer no steak at all because mom was so frugal she bought cheap tough cuts. Thank god for the dog under the table.:hide:

When I want a beef-fix, I order a burger, medium or tomato beef chow mein, very tender. SO orders a variety of beef dishes at Asian restaurants where I sample some of them, always tender.

When I want a beef-fix, I order a burger...

I thought I was the only weirdo... I actually prefer burger to steak as well. And not just for money-saving reasons. Best is covered in a slice of cheese or three, pickle, lettuce, tomato, sauteed onions and mushrooms, bacon, mustard, slaw and chili. Served with a bib and a big plate of fries. Mmmmm...

USDA Prime in the quality steaks-strip, porterhouse, rib costs $24/# and up in a supermarket or butcher shop which sells it. I don't think you can touch this kind of steak in a restaurant unless you pay twice what you suggest.

Ha

HaHa, where I live you can get those for $12-$13 lb. at the butcher shop and even high brow grass fed beef tenderloin for $20 lb. Upscale rest. USDA prime steak is $25-$27. I live in a somewhat rural area.

HaHa, where I live you can get those for $12-$13 lb. at the butcher shop and even high brow grass fed beef tenderloin for $20 lb. Upscale rest. USDA prime steak is $25-$27. I live in a somewhat rural area.
Thanks Cash-Flo. Just goes to show how important geography is. Here, regular run of the mill USDA Choice at Safeway or the Kroger affiliate is often the price you mention of $12-$13/#. Sirloin is less, tenderloin more. Even micro-geography matters. Ten mies into the suburbs it might cost a dollar or two less, but with gas overall I would lose.

Around here, best supermarket deal hands down is pork tenderloins. at ~$4.99. Love to slice them 3/8" or so and sauté with mushrooms, onions and garlic and maybe green or sweet red peppers. :)

Ha

Back
Top Bottom