How Far North?

boont

Recycles dryer sheets
I'm wondering how far north in Florida one has to go before a town can be found where one could live year round. I'm thinking of the weather.

I've only been to Florida once but it seemed, much like Las Vegas, that you wouldn't want to be strolling around Miami in August.

Orlando? Disney must have wanted a year round location.

b.

I'm wondering how far north in Florida one has to go before a town can be found where one could live year round. I'm thinking of the weather.
As hundreds of thousands of "halfbacks" can attest, the answer is...

North Carolina.

Can't say I fully understand your question, but here in Tampa we have year-round decent weather. Almost never gets over low 90s even summers due to the Gulf. Hot and humid, for sure, but livable. Hot humid weather lasts a long time down here but most of the 16 million folks or so who live here seem to like it just fine.

Heading north within the state say to Tallhassee gets you cooler winters. The summers are equally hot and long.

Residents down here drift to the uncrowded beaches during the summer, where you bring your own shade, enjoy the breezes, and take a dip now and then to cool down. You also adapt physically and psychologically to the heat after a couple of months. But if you hate hot and humid, don't head to the Gulf Coast in the summer.

The other 8 months of the year, it is the most agreeable climate I have ever lived in, including Tucson. Longer we're here, the more we like it.

Last I looked Miami is populated year round. After all, people live in India, and they live in the Congo. Next to these places Miami must seem like Duluth.

I've stayed with no AC at sea level on the equator. It's warm, but like Doc says you get used to it.

Ha

I've only been to Florida once but it seemed, much like Las Vegas, that you wouldn't want to be strolling around Miami in August.

b.
Try Jacksonville Florida. If you go just a tad south and west of the actual city you should be fine, Insurance and Hurricane wise. I lived there for 19 years and we enjoyed it. Actually, have pine trees there and not too many of those palms. It can get hot in the June to August time-frame and it does get humid. Smaller and newer home, well insulated, will give you reasonable year round comfort. The Tampa Bay area on the other coast is also nice (my Father lived there for years before passing). IMO I would not go very far south of the line for Tampa to Jacksonville as it can get congested and the evacuation drills when the hurricanes do come can be stupid.

One can live year round in south Florida. Millions of people do exactly that. I think the weather in Miami is lovely and certainly is not one of the factors that are keeping me from moving to Florida.

Perhaps a better way to phrase your question would be,

I'm wondering how far north in Florida I have to go before a town can be found where I want to live year round. I'm thinking of the weather.

That makes the answer very simple: Depends on what you happen to want as far as weather is concerned!

Anywhere between Tallahassee and Pensacola would be my destination but not too close to the water as insurance rates can be high.

Anywhere between Tallahassee and Pensacola would be my destination but not too close to the water as insurance rates can be high.

If I was planning to move to Florida (which I'm not), and if I had infinite money (which I don't), I'd live in the Keys. Of course, I haven't seen them since 1975, but in 1975 the Keys were so laid back, serene, and beautiful. It's probably a good thing that I haven't been there in 33 years, now that I think of it, so that those great memories remain untouched.

If the Panhandle is under consideration, why not live in Alabama? Taxes in Alabama are so retiree-friendly, and it's only a hop, skip, and a jump from the water and culturally quite similar to the Panhandle (a.k.a. "Lower Alabama").

b.

I would plan a nice long vacation in the mountains up north during July and August. Doesn't answer your question but it is one solution to the heat problem.

Works for me. Well, except for the May, June, September and October heat problem...

Well those 2 months are the worst for me. Everyone's internal thermostat is different.

I can't slip off for very long periods of time right now as I have my mother and aunt to look after, but down the road I can see myself spending a couple of months in Colorado, Montana, or even up the the PNW. Who knows, might even do what you did and buy an RV. BTW, are you enjoying yours?

Sorry for slipping off topic. :-[

Works for me. Well, except for the May, June, September and October heat problem...

June - September for sure. May and October are warm and nice with comfortable evenings and mornings, seems to me, with a few exceptions. But that's near the Gulf.

Of course, watching the fireworks on July 4 with a ski jacket and gloves wasn't much fun years ago either.

Rich, when I said "works for me", I was referring to TX, not the balmy spring and fall seasons you folks residing over there in paradise experience. ;)

Rich, when I said "works for me", I was referring to TX, not the balmy spring and fall seasons you folks residing over there in paradise experience. ;)

OK.

The most uncomfortable heat and humidity I have ever experienced was during a late May conference in downtown Houston. I think the concrete just acted like a heat sink and kept on blasting out hot air well after sundown. That was rough.

The most uncomfortable heat and humidity I have ever experienced was during a late May conference in downtown Houston. I think the concrete just acted like a heat sink and kept on blasting out hot air well after sundown. That was rough.

Sounds like a TV commercial to me: "Texas - one out of one doctors don't recommend it!" :D

i lived in gainesville for a few years and even though farther north than fort lauderdale, summers weren't any cooler. if i remember right the days were often hazy, rather than the mostly clear blue skies we enjoy down here. also the humidity mid-state can get to you. staying along the coasts will get you at least a seabreeze most of the time (though you need to be within a few miles of the ocean or gulf).

when we lived even closer to the equator, on st. croix, usvi, summer didn't seem as brutal there as florida, possibly because of being deeper into the trade winds. tough for me to judge because i was so much younger when the heat didn't effect me as much. in any case, the further north in florida, the less the effect of the trades and of course inland, no seabreeze either so the air & humidity stagnate, especially in summer.

south florida summers aren't so bad as long as you go from your airconditioned house to the a/c'd car to the a/c'd gym or, yikes, mall, and then into the pool. i find the ocean water near shore too warm to enjoy in the middle of summer but the swim hall of fame "air conditions" their pool by spraying the water into the air at night.

we even have less extreme hot days than some of the country in summer and we are equipped to handle the heat. sure would be nice though if summer nights brought a little relief. nothing worse than going out at 9 pm only to break a sweat.

where ever you decide, bring lots of t-shirts.

I live in Canada year round. You could move this far North

Ne Fl

I moved to NE FL (almost to Ga) from South FL....only about 3 days to freezing last year and about the same this yr. Orlando south is PRIMO weather. Ft Laud south is semi tropical.
Good luck, you will like FL.
Chris

b.
Rich loves it in Tampa, like about a million others. I lived in Lakeland for 3 years and there isn't enough money in the world to make me move back there for the weather alone. Winters were fabulous (although Christmas just doesn't feel right), but summers were unbearable. It gets tiresome to be so hot 24/7 for months on end. It wasn't much fun to take the dogs out at 10PM and sweat standing in my yard without exerting myself. And if there's anything to global warming, there may be an exodus from the Sunshine State.

We're both right, so how can someone advise you?

Florida?Hope you like your heat with humidity,most of my family lives just north of Tampa and if i go visit between April to November its basically go from the air conditioned house to the air conditioned car to the air conditioned destination.
Best idea for Fla. is to get a house trailer in a secure community and just live in it from Nov to April then return north to your cottage in cooler climes

I'm personally not a big Florida fan but I lived in Pensacola for a couple of years. Hot, humid summers (I hate hot and humid!) but a nice break from that weather late fall through early spring. I could see spending part of the cooler part of the year there and then coming back to the Green Mountain State for summer through very late fall.

Back
Top Bottom