Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-18-2012, 11:50 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Retired but not ER (only earlier than I expected to). I set up a plan for annual expenses and came within $2k of it last year. The only thing I do more now is eat out and buy books on Kindle. Since my partner and I own quite a few dogs and cats I can't travel as much as I did before meeting her.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2012, 11:51 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm doing a good job at being less frugal. As a reference point, Lena and I are currently sitting in Starbucks. But we brought our own chocolates, and I have a paper cup from our stash in the trunk, so we split one coffee.

We went to a rummage sale this morning, and I found a space heater to replace ours that broke. I didn't get it because it was $15! But I'm sitting here thinking maybe I'll splurge and go back and get it.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:32 PM   #23
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I'm doing a good job at being less frugal. As a reference point, Lena and I are currently sitting in Starbucks. But we brought our own chocolates, and I have a paper cup from our stash in the trunk, so we split one coffee.
Of all the things I can think of that one might want to spend money on, Starbucks is right near the bottom. Blech. Each to his/her own, I suppose. To me, there is a lot better coffee available out there and Starbucks is so overpriced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
We went to a rummage sale this morning, and I found a space heater to replace ours that broke. I didn't get it because it was $15! But I'm sitting here thinking maybe I'll splurge and go back and get it.
Now there's the T-Al we all remember! Al, go ahead and get the space heater, if it hasn't sold yet. It might keep you from catching cold and that is worth $15. Skip Starbucks and buy a McDonald's "senior coffee" a few times and you will have paid for it from the savings.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:56 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We raised the family on one income and I was the "home economist" so I was always frugal. It's just my nature. DH likes to be oblivious to money. When his job started to look insecure (2008) I showed him how retirement was one of the options and he started listening to my money discussions. He was very agreeable to adjusting his spending habits if it made retirement a viable option.

He's been retired almost 2 years and he'll do just about anything to stay retired. He admits he enjoys playing the game of being frugal just to see if he can do it. He's so pleased with being retired that he finds he doesn't need much "stuff" anymore.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:03 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

No, I didn't get the "overpriced" space heater. We have one that will tide us over until I can find a good replacement.

Here's something frugal that Lena does that you will enjoy: She buys cashmere sweaters at garage sales, then unravels them, dyes the yarn, and knits something new. She does it partly for the fun of it, but partly because she gets to knit with cashmere for free. Here's an example:

Before (this sweater cost $1):

During (the yarn would have cost about $80):

After:

Old 03-18-2012, 01:46 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Knitting is not a bad pastime. However, there's the risk of carpal tunnel syndrome.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:53 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Nice sweaters ! I love cashmere . If I lived in a cooler climate I would have tons of cashmere sweaters .
Old 03-18-2012, 02:28 PM   #28

My plan is to be frugal enough to never have to consider entering the w*rk world again. After 2 years it is going pretty well and I still have the TSP and a Roth IRA to tap someday when I want to give myself a raise or get to the magic age of mandatory withdrawals from the TSP.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:11 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, I'm more frugal in retirement. I switched from Titleist Pro V1 golf balls to X-out Pro V-1 balls. Big difference in price, but none in performance.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:14 PM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Big difference in price, but none in performance.
I would have bet anything you were going to say you switched to Keystone Light....

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 04:18 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I would have bet anything you were going to say you switched to Keystone Light....
I do have some standards.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:52 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Of all the things I can think of that one might want to spend money on, Starbucks is right near the bottom. Blech. Each to his/her own, I suppose. To me, there is a lot better coffee available out there and Starbucks is so overpriced.
Skip Starbucks and buy a McDonald's "senior coffee" a few times and you will have paid for it from the savings.
Just shows that we all have different tastes. DW would not taste any difference between McDonalds's and Starbucks coffee. I love the Sbucks brew and the few times I tried McD's it was very thin (to me). I buy Sbucks beans (French Roast for "bold" taste) and it's pretty low priced that way for a cup at home, plus I get a free coffee when buying the beans.

BTW, I made enough on Starbucks stock in past years (do not own it now) to pay for all that $1.50 coffee.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:01 PM   #33
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I buy Sbucks beans (French Roast for "bold" taste) and it's pretty low priced that way for a cup at home, plus I get a free coffee when buying the beans.
I'll have to try the French Roast. I bought their House Blend beans and thought they were good, but liked Dunkin Donuts coffee better even though it was pre-ground. I bought the DD coffee at the same time, to do a "taste test". My version of Pepsi vs Coke...

There are three things I don't like about Starbucks coffee bought and consumed in the store. First, the price. Second, their coffee tastes kind of burnt and insipid to me. Third, their price again! For some reason, I don't mind buying more expensive coffee for home consumption only. Can't explain that one, except that when I figure it out per cup it is less at home than at Starbucks.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:23 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Hi W2R, my main kick at Starbucks is just the coffeehouse culture. It's a cheap thrill. People run off to Europe to find cafes to sit in. Here you can do it for a more modest outlay. Nice way to watch people and interactions. Same goes for Peet's coffeehouses and independents too.

So when you're in a US coffeehouse, think Paris cafe on the cheap:

P.S. You can find McDonalds on the Champs Elysee too.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:21 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Hi W2R, my main kick at Starbucks is just the coffeehouse culture. It's a cheap thrill. People run off to Europe to find cafes to sit in. Here you can do it for a more modest outlay. Nice way to watch people and interactions. Same goes for Peet's coffeehouses and independents too.

So when you're in a US coffeehouse, think Paris cafe on the cheap:

P.S. You can find McDonalds on the Champs Elysee too.
You reminded me of being in Paris and thinking that it was exactly the way I had imagined it - all the little cafes on sidestreets with tables and chairs outside and French men with their moustaches drinking coffee and smoking their own "rollies". Then I walked into the Starbucks, and it felt as if I was back in the US. For a minute or two I almost wondered why I'd bothered spending money on the airfare!
Old 03-18-2012, 06:37 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

The most frugal thing that we do is cut our dryer sheets in half. Not kidding -- DW has been doing it for at least 25 years!
Old 03-18-2012, 07:09 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
. He admits he enjoys playing the game of being frugal just to see if he can do it. He's so pleased with being retired that he finds he doesn't need much "stuff" anymore.
It is a game sometimes, we find now that we always ask for a discount no matter where we are. If we get an additional discount we "win". Our favorite words at a yard sale besides "Free" are "What will you give me for it?"
Old 03-18-2012, 07:22 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I don't subscribe to magazines or newspaper, I only have one car and one house (oh poor me! ) and unlike some here I don't have a boat, RV, plane, or travel much. This was all true before ER as well. As always, I turn lights out when I leave a room, and don't stand in front of the refrigerator with the door open. I don't waste food. These and other lifetime habits will always be a part of who I am.

Now that I am retired, I am spending slightly more than I did before ER. There really isn't any need to spend more, but due to some good fortune I am better off now. When I couldn't afford much, there were so many things I dreamed of. But I have been surprised at how little I really want now that I can afford more.
I am much the same.
Dropped CATV in Nov '10.
Hate shopping.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:22 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Less frugal. We planned for a lot of travel in ER and have done just that. We could have retired earlier by constraining our life style but work wasn't bad and we wanted to enjoy ourselves.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Al, you sure know how to treat a gal well. Please tell me the chocolates weren't bought cheap because they were out of date.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:27 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by teekaymn View Post
The most frugal thing that we do is cut our dryer sheets in half. Not kidding -- DW has been doing it for at least 25 years!
You have a dryer?