How frugal are you in ER?

Knitting is not a bad pastime. However, there's the risk of carpal tunnel syndrome.

Nice sweaters ! I love cashmere . If I lived in a cooler climate I would have tons of cashmere sweaters .

My plan is to be frugal enough to never have to consider entering the w*rk world again. After 2 years it is going pretty well and I still have the TSP and a Roth IRA to tap someday when I want to give myself a raise or get to the magic age of mandatory withdrawals from the TSP.

Yeah, I'm more frugal in retirement. I switched from Titleist Pro V1 golf balls to X-out Pro V-1 balls. Big difference in price, but none in performance. ;)

Of all the things I can think of that one might want to spend money on, Starbucks is right near the bottom. Blech. Each to his/her own, I suppose. To me, there is a lot better coffee available out there and Starbucks is so overpriced.
Skip Starbucks and buy a McDonald's "senior coffee" a few times and you will have paid for it from the savings.
Just shows that we all have different tastes. DW would not taste any difference between McDonalds's and Starbucks coffee. I love the Sbucks brew and the few times I tried McD's it was very thin (to me). I buy Sbucks beans (French Roast for "bold" taste) and it's pretty low priced that way for a cup at home, plus I get a free coffee when buying the beans.

BTW, I made enough on Starbucks stock in past years (do not own it now) to pay for all that $1.50 coffee. :cool:

I buy Sbucks beans (French Roast for "bold" taste) and it's pretty low priced that way for a cup at home, plus I get a free coffee when buying the beans.

I'll have to try the French Roast. I bought their House Blend beans and thought they were good, but liked Dunkin Donuts coffee better even though it was pre-ground. I bought the DD coffee at the same time, to do a "taste test". My version of Pepsi vs Coke... :D

There are three things I don't like about Starbucks coffee bought and consumed in the store. First, the price. Second, their coffee tastes kind of burnt and insipid to me. Third, their price again! For some reason, I don't mind buying more expensive coffee for home consumption only. Can't explain that one, except that when I figure it out per cup it is less at home than at Starbucks.

Last edited:
Hi W2R, my main kick at Starbucks is just the coffeehouse culture. It's a cheap thrill. People run off to Europe to find cafes to sit in. Here you can do it for a more modest outlay. Nice way to watch people and interactions. Same goes for Peet's coffeehouses and independents too.

So when you're in a US coffeehouse, think Paris cafe on the cheap:
2j5b9eu.jpg

P.S. You can find McDonalds on the Champs Elysee too.

Hi W2R, my main kick at Starbucks is just the coffeehouse culture. It's a cheap thrill. People run off to Europe to find cafes to sit in. Here you can do it for a more modest outlay. Nice way to watch people and interactions. Same goes for Peet's coffeehouses and independents too.

So when you're in a US coffeehouse, think Paris cafe on the cheap:

P.S. You can find McDonalds on the Champs Elysee too.
You reminded me of being in Paris and thinking that it was exactly the way I had imagined it - all the little cafes on sidestreets with tables and chairs outside and French men with their moustaches drinking coffee and smoking their own "rollies". Then I walked into the Starbucks, and it felt as if I was back in the US. For a minute or two I almost wondered why I'd bothered spending money on the airfare!

The most frugal thing that we do is cut our dryer sheets in half. Not kidding -- DW has been doing it for at least 25 years!

. He admits he enjoys playing the game of being frugal just to see if he can do it. He's so pleased with being retired that he finds he doesn't need much "stuff" anymore.

It is a game sometimes, we find now that we always ask for a discount no matter where we are. If we get an additional discount we "win". Our favorite words at a yard sale besides "Free" are "What will you give me for it?"

I don't subscribe to magazines or newspaper, I only have one car and one house (oh poor me! :LOL: ) and unlike some here I don't have a boat, RV, plane, or travel much. This was all true before ER as well. As always, I turn lights out when I leave a room, and don't stand in front of the refrigerator with the door open. I don't waste food. These and other lifetime habits will always be a part of who I am.

Now that I am retired, I am spending slightly more than I did before ER. There really isn't any need to spend more, but due to some good fortune I am better off now. When I couldn't afford much, there were so many things I dreamed of. But I have been surprised at how little I really want now that I can afford more.

I am much the same.
Dropped CATV in Nov '10.
Hate shopping.

Less frugal. We planned for a lot of travel in ER and have done just that. We could have retired earlier by constraining our life style but work wasn't bad and we wanted to enjoy ourselves.

+1

I'm doing a good job at being less frugal. As a reference point, Lena and I are currently sitting in Starbucks. But we brought our own chocolates, and I have a paper cup from our stash in the trunk, so we split one coffee.

:LOL: Al, you sure know how to treat a gal well. Please tell me the chocolates weren't bought cheap because they were out of date.

You reminded me of being in Paris and thinking that it was exactly the way I had imagined it - all the little cafes on sidestreets with tables and chairs outside and French men with their moustaches drinking coffee and smoking their own "rollies". Then I walked into the Starbucks, and it felt as if I was back in the US. For a minute or two I almost wondered why I'd bothered spending money on the airfare!
I was in a Starbucks in Paris too, and a McDonald's. It's true they are not exactly the full Paris cafe experience. Just making a point that you get a little of the cafe (coffeehouse) romance with your coffee, tea, or Frappuccino.

I have cut expenses to the point where I have $1000 months. There's enough left over for crap occurring ($2000 for my stupid teeth).
I have found great enjoyment in giving away money (and stuff).

"Money's like manure: it's no good unless you spread it around and help things grow." --Hello Dolly (among other places)

W2R said:
I'll have to try the French Roast. I bought their House Blend beans and thought they were good, but liked Dunkin Donuts coffee better even though it was pre-ground. I bought the DD coffee at the same time, to do a "taste test". My version of Pepsi vs Coke... :D

There are three things I don't like about Starbucks coffee bought and consumed in the store. First, the price. Second, their coffee tastes kind of burnt and insipid to me. Third, their price again! For some reason, I don't mind buying more expensive coffee for home consumption only. Can't explain that one, except that when I figure it out per cup it is less at home than at Starbucks.

+1...Dunkin Donuts coffee, $8 a little bag, but worth every penny! My favorite coffee by far.

+1...Dunkin Donuts coffee, $8 a little bag, but worth every penny! My favorite coffee by far.

We love Trader Joe's Dark Roast. $4.99 for 13 oz. We don't buy anything else anymore. We just grind in the store. Two canisters last us all month making 32+ oz each day. Great value and tasty.

We have become more frugal I suppose. We bring in less money and we spend less money. I don't think we're a good example. I have high school kids and a big ass house with a mortgage to match and my wife still works part time from home. We are looking forward to the day, two or three years from now, when we can sell this boat anchor and downsize. Were already getting rid of a lot payments, though we didn't have that many anyway. Eventually, we want to full time RV and simplify. Less stuff, less spending, less anxiety and hassle. Plus we can live on less for a while and see the country.

I continue to cut expenses, however, I am not at the point where I want to be yet. I have not reached the point that I am considering downsizing my home yet. It is paid off and I still see it as a investment.

I do try to eat home more often as I have more time to cook and I am not tired at the end of the day from w**k.

I am cutting the little expenses that add up.

Dumped all subscriptions!
Cell phone (went to pay as you go), Phone (went to Vonage), newspapers ($50 a mo).

Cut some insurance ($aved $2000 a year), dumped my tax man (went to TT, saved $800), Shop at Costco (save about $1000 a year),

DIY saves about $6000 a yr.

A lot of "$30 a month" things add up. "Stickin' it to the Man!"

... Eventually, we want to full time RV and simplify. Less stuff, less spending, less anxiety and hassle. Plus we can live on less for a while and see the country.

I mentioned the movie Lost in America earlier in this thread. It has been a while since I saw it, long before I knew what RV'ing was all about. Here's the trailer for that movie for people who have not seen it. Of course it was ridiculous for the things that happened to the couple in the movie, but what a nightmare, funny as it was.

Lost In America (1985) Trailer - YouTube

Last edited:
At the end of 2007 the ER = 0.47% for our portfolio (stock/bonds only).

Now ER = 0.18%, basically through indexed ETF's.

Depending on the size of the portfolio, that 0.3% can be a nice savings each year. On a $1M portfolio one would save $3000 per year. Or maybe think ... free vacation.

We used to buy the good stuff for $11-15/lb or more, but we've settled on this for at home everyday use. 2 pound bag dark roast whole beans $14, less when on sale. We brew pretty strong anyway. And we still go to local coffee shops once or twice a week to treat ourselves to a cup of the good stuff. YMMV

Attachments

• HillsBag_DarkRoast.jpg
    HillsBag_DarkRoast.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 230
Back
Top Bottom