Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-18-2012, 07:32 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
You reminded me of being in Paris and thinking that it was exactly the way I had imagined it - all the little cafes on sidestreets with tables and chairs outside and French men with their moustaches drinking coffee and smoking their own "rollies". Then I walked into the Starbucks, and it felt as if I was back in the US. For a minute or two I almost wondered why I'd bothered spending money on the airfare!
I was in a Starbucks in Paris too, and a McDonald's. It's true they are not exactly the full Paris cafe experience. Just making a point that you get a little of the cafe (coffeehouse) romance with your coffee, tea, or Frappuccino.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2012, 07:32 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I have cut expenses to the point where I have $1000 months. There's enough left over for crap occurring ($2000 for my stupid teeth).
I have found great enjoyment in giving away money (and stuff).

"Money's like manure: it's no good unless you spread it around and help things grow." --Hello Dolly (among other places)

Old 03-18-2012, 08:02 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R

I'll have to try the French Roast. I bought their House Blend beans and thought they were good, but liked Dunkin Donuts coffee better even though it was pre-ground. I bought the DD coffee at the same time, to do a "taste test". My version of Pepsi vs Coke...

There are three things I don't like about Starbucks coffee bought and consumed in the store. First, the price. Second, their coffee tastes kind of burnt and insipid to me. Third, their price again! For some reason, I don't mind buying more expensive coffee for home consumption only. Can't explain that one, except that when I figure it out per cup it is less at home than at Starbucks.
+1...Dunkin Donuts coffee, $8 a little bag, but worth every penny! My favorite coffee by far.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:41 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
You have a dryer?

Yeah, but it's taking up a lot of space on the front porch right now, so I may have to get rid of it to make room for another hound dog.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:21 PM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
+1...Dunkin Donuts coffee, $8 a little bag, but worth every penny! My favorite coffee by far.
We love Trader Joe's Dark Roast. $4.99 for 13 oz. We don't buy anything else anymore. We just grind in the store. Two canisters last us all month making 32+ oz each day. Great value and tasty.

We have become more frugal I suppose. We bring in less money and we spend less money. I don't think we're a good example. I have high school kids and a big ass house with a mortgage to match and my wife still works part time from home. We are looking forward to the day, two or three years from now, when we can sell this boat anchor and downsize. Were already getting rid of a lot payments, though we didn't have that many anyway. Eventually, we want to full time RV and simplify. Less stuff, less spending, less anxiety and hassle. Plus we can live on less for a while and see the country.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:10 AM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

I continue to cut expenses, however, I am not at the point where I want to be yet. I have not reached the point that I am considering downsizing my home yet. It is paid off and I still see it as a investment.

I do try to eat home more often as I have more time to cook and I am not tired at the end of the day from w**k.

I am cutting the little expenses that add up.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:10 AM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Dumped all subscriptions!
Cell phone (went to pay as you go), Phone (went to Vonage), newspapers ($50 a mo).

Cut some insurance ($aved $2000 a year), dumped my tax man (went to TT, saved $800), Shop at Costco (save about $1000 a year),

DIY saves about $6000 a yr.

A lot of "$30 a month" things add up. "Stickin' it to the Man!"
Old 03-19-2012, 12:12 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishnevada View Post
... Eventually, we want to full time RV and simplify. Less stuff, less spending, less anxiety and hassle. Plus we can live on less for a while and see the country.
I mentioned the movie Lost in America earlier in this thread. It has been a while since I saw it, long before I knew what RV'ing was all about. Here's the trailer for that movie for people who have not seen it. Of course it was ridiculous for the things that happened to the couple in the movie, but what a nightmare, funny as it was.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:01 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

At the end of 2007 the ER = 0.47% for our portfolio (stock/bonds only).

Now ER = 0.18%, basically through indexed ETF's.

Depending on the size of the portfolio, that 0.3% can be a nice savings each year. On a $1M portfolio one would save $3000 per year. Or maybe think ... free vacation.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:27 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
We used to buy the good stuff for $11-15/lb or more, but we've settled on this for at home everyday use. 2 pound bag dark roast whole beans $14, less when on sale. We brew pretty strong anyway. And we still go to local coffee shops once or twice a week to treat ourselves to a cup of the good stuff. YMMV
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HillsBag_DarkRoast.jpg (31.4 KB, 229 views)

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:30 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I don't subscribe to magazines or newspaper, I only have one car and one house (oh poor me! ) and unlike some here I don't have a boat, RV, plane, or travel much. This was all true before ER as well. As always, I turn lights out when I leave a room, and don't stand in front of the refrigerator with the door open. I don't waste food. These and other lifetime habits will always be a part of who I am.

Now that I am retired, I am spending slightly more than I did before ER. There really isn't any need to spend more, but due to some good fortune I am better off now. When I couldn't afford much, there were so many things I dreamed of. But I have been surprised at how little I really want now that I can afford more.

Ok, I'm gonna be somewhat frugal, but.....I GOTTA have a boat!!!

I love to fish, and if I can't do that, I might as well keep working!

Our traveling will be road trips within the U.S. Maybe a cruise or two, but not frequently. We're mostly stay-at-home types, traveling to visit family mostly.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:31 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
We used to buy the good stuff for $11-15/lb or more, but we've settled on this for at home everyday use. 2 pound bag dark roast whole beans $14, less when on sale. We brew pretty strong anyway. And we still go to local coffee shops once or twice a week to treat ourselves to a cup of the good stuff. YMMV
I've never been much of a "coffee connoisseur" so I never really got into paying way up for the quality stuff that a dedicated gourmet coffee person could appreciate.

Beer, on other hand -- quality over quantity, all the way...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:39 AM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29
I've never been much of a "coffee connoisseur" so I never really got into paying way up for the quality stuff that a dedicated gourmet coffee person could appreciate.
We get 3 pound bags of "San Francisco Coffee Company" (of Lincoln, CA!) Dark French roast, grind it ourselves, and brew in a little espresso machine (Saeco Aroma), or with the little one cup filter cones. Even modest quality beans produce excellent results with the espresso machine. The up front cost doesn't look frugal, but after a year, the per cup cost looks really good compared to a coffee house. That the coffee tastes better, and I can have it in my own home is a nice bonus.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:36 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

This talk of coffee reminded me to mention that I use one of those metal cone (gold?) filters so no need to use paper filters. Starbucks seems to have a separate grind setting for this type.

One bag of ground beans seems to keep fresh if I just store the bagged grinds in a sealed storage container and transfer to a smaller glass container for a few days worth of use. Habits of a morning coffee addict.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:40 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Speaking of coffee (not that I'm not the connoisseur in the house) I've found that if I leave the grounds in the drip coffee maker, I can make a second cup that isn't terribly weak. So there's a lot of wasted coffee flavor in there. I see how few new grounds I can add without Lena noticing that it's weak.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:44 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
This talk of coffee reminded me to mention that I use one of those metal cone (gold?) filters so no need to use paper filters. Starbucks seems to have a separate grind setting for this type.
We have one of those gold permanent filters. They work great as long as you don't forget to tightly clench your teeth for the last swallow on each cup... Really! Small price to pay, consider it more healthy fiber...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:44 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
Al, you sure know how to treat a gal well. Please tell me the chocolates weren't bought cheap because they were out of date.
What? Buy chocolates at a store?

All are home-made, but actually not for economy but to eliminate sugar.

My current favorite:

Anna Chocolates

.5 cup Cream
4 tbs Butter
10 oz Baker's unsweetened chocolate
1 cup almond butter (with no sugar!)
1/4 cup roasted, chopped almonds or pecans
1/8 tsp KCl
15 drops Splenda
.5 cup erythritol

Melt it all together in the microwave, 1 minute at a time. Pour it into an 8x8 glass, and put it in the fridge.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:58 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Too much frugality may have rubbed off on DD. She had a fender bender and had to have a section or two of the exterior replaced. She got the parts at a junk yard and is having a body shop do the work, but she is considering doing the painting herself.

I said "$500 isn't much to have the painting done."

And she said "Maybe not to you!"

Note that she makes big bucks.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:27 PM   #59

Al,

Those homemade chocolates sound really nice.

I confess that I do the same things with the coffee by adding coffee grounds on top to make a second pot. At work that is what we used to do with one of the reactors - top it up with catalyst until the conversion rate fell off.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:52 PM   #60

I was never frugal. We put money away on a schedule and pretty much spent the rest of the paychecks. When the son went to college we thought it might be tough, but even after spending $2000+ a month for his expenses, we did fine. No new cars,though.

We shoud do fine in ER with no drop in lifestyle, though I'll probably still a mortgage for ten years after retirement ( should have paid that off early, but hadn't planned on ER). If we have to cut down, we shall. If I have to work as a Walmart greeter, I will. Lol

I'd like to spend more time in the camper than at home -
DW won't let me sell the house
We shall see.