how long did it take you to adjust/get into a nonwork routine?

What follows is a free-form set of mini-projects that are thought of during the process of doing something else. By the end of the evening I have done 75 things that weren't anywhere near the top of my to-do list (or even on it in some instances) and I'm looking at ceiling fan sitting in the back of the truck wondering, "where did that come from?" Other days are much more focused and I get things done without feeling rushed, but happy with the results.
Eh, I get the same thing at w*rk, except it's, 'I have an exception interrupting the emergency that has co-opted my top priority, but an item has come up for a person that I owe a favor to, and there is something else I can help out on that I judge to be a good use of my time, meanwhile...

et cetera, ad nauseum.

At least you're doing your own projects! :)

The age-old question "why are we here?"...

I get up from the sofa, walk into the bedroom to get something, stand around for a minute, then ask "why am I here?".

The answer will come to me once I have reseated myself on the sofa...

Bill Cosby says...the answer is always in your butt...as soon as you sit on it, you figure out what you were going to do.

I'm six months into retirement and have to say that I'm still getting used to things. For me there was a little "honeymoon" period for a couple of months of pure bliss. Perhaps a bit of a carryover from 30 years of conditioning, but I'm finding more desire to have some goal oriented projects beyond kicking around the house and leisurely travel. I honestly think it's important to have a routine for excercise and keep a list of projects to be working on beyond the grocery list and gardening type things. A whole lot better than work any way you look at it.

t's funny others have mentioned it....my nightmares are getting less too.

At first it was like being on vacation. I retired July 1, 2002 and by the end of August we had moved from a highly congested area north of Washington, DC where we had to plan our daily lives around traffic. So we were in a new area, buying some furniture and stuff for the new house, and basically just decompressed for a couple of years from an environment where staying alive is rule one. Enjoying the novelty of having the ex-employer continue to send me money and all I have to do for it is keep breathing.

Then it started to sink in - what to do next. Or, why do I have to do anything? Or, should I be doing anything? What do I want to do? Never had that much freedom from responsibility before and felt kind of lost with it, this is someone who started working at 13 mowing lawns. Helped a friend build an airplane, got a small boat & outboard to go fishing, today we bought a couple of lightly used bicycles for some day trip touring. As an experiment, I was a car salesman for a month, that was an unusual experience - it was the first time I've ever been fired from a job, but I was laughing as I left the parking lot. So I learned something - I have many talents but sales is not one of them.

So I went and got a job that hasn't started yet, but it has the option of working either full time or part time so there is that flexibility built into it. So, I guess I'm just kind of drifting along and seeing what comes up next. A 180 turnaround for someone who's always had a definite goal in mind. So I guess you could say it took me five years to adjust.

I'm looking at boat kits and thinking of building a wooden boat. I like carpentry but never had time to develop a talent for it and some of them are works of art. So I'll start with a rowboat or kayak and see where that interest goes.

I'll be out of work 6wks due to surgery before going into my ER. So my daily life will be totally different during this time anyways. I'll look forward to the days when I can really say Im in ER.

How long did it take you to adjust/get into a nonwork routine?

About 2 hours! Never looked back, and never any regrets, and never any problem finding anything to do besides going back to that j*b.

You'll know you're fully acclimated to retirement when your DW begins to accept you as "being around", rather than "being under foot" :D

I don't think I've ever really gotten into a FIRE routine. Everyday is a new day, with infinite possibilities. If anything the routine is that I don't have one, don't "have" to have one, and don't really want to ever heave one, i.e. "you can't make me". For a short time after I had been FIRE'd for a few months I was offered/negotiated a PT deal back at the old plant, I'd work a maximum of One Day Per Week, and I'd recommend what I should do with that time (mostly R&D). I enjoyed that for a few months then found even that minimal W**K experience tiresome and interfering with my freedom to not have a routine. Even after 6 days off (if you allow me) I still felt like I was being forced to return to getting up early (before 11am is my average) and be someplace not of my own choosing. I realize this makes no sense, as I was the one who did the choosing in the first place. Anyway, I'm glad to be back to pure freedom, even as the list of things that need doing doesn't get shorter very quickly at all. It's still a choice...

Oh to answer the true question. I'm still getting used to the idea 2 years later.

.....Everyday is a new day, with infinite possibilities. If anything the routine is that I don't have one, don't "have" to have one, and don't really want to ever heave one, i.e. "you can't make me".

Same with me. I let everyday "just happen"....and then I "go with the flow"!

This morning I saw an old friend buying 2 flower plants out at the farm store. We yakked for a few minutes, and then as we started to leave, he said "I have to hurry and get home and get these 2 plants in the ground!" I asked him why the big hurry. He said because he only plants 2 plants a day, and then goofs off the rest of the day! He ER'd last October....and has adapted well!

Same with me. I let everyday "just happen"....and then I "go with the flow"!

This morning I saw an old friend buying 2 flower plants out at the farm store. We yakked for a few minutes, and then as we started to leave, he said "I have to hurry and get home and get these 2 plants in the ground!" I asked him why the big hurry. He said because he only plants 2 plants a day, and then goofs off the rest of the day! He ER'd last October....and has adapted well!
That's a wonderful story!! Thanks. Maybe my life will be like that in ER. I hope so. ;)

Like your plan for savings have a plan for your time!

I planned to spend time with the kids each morning, then go to the YMCA and do an areobics class, maybe some coupon shopping on the way home, go to the library. Then work on a project in the afternoon until kids came home from school. I did get addicted to "Mad Money" @ 5pm every day. Which was purley for entertainment - the recent market crashes cured me of that. I also had some rules, like, no TV until 5pm. Tale a long walk after dinner each night with the dog. Etc..

You get the idea.

Cheers ;)

Had some trepidation but that vanished in about a day. I've been retired for 13 years and seldom think about the 35 years I spent with the same employer. While I like what I was doing for the most part, it was time to go. I now keep busy with volunteering and enjoying life to the fullest one day at a time.

"Don't cry becase it's over, smile because it happened."

Tell me about it! :2funny: Not really, I know. I have 555 days to go and it is really, really hard to keep up my enthusiasm!

477 for me. Although I still put out 100%, I don't get as upset about the small stuff as I would have ten years ago. Also, thankfully, not everyone in the organization is near ER as I am, otherwise everyone would have that "devil may care" attitude.

I'll be out of work 6wks due to surgery before going into my ER. So my daily life will be totally different during this time anyways. I'll look forward to the days when I can really say Im in ER.

How long did it take you to adjust/get into a nonwork routine?

I retired 3 years ago - it actually took me about 2 years before it sank in that I was retired.

Though even now - I sometimes lay my head down on the pillow at night, and then smile when I realize I don't have to get up and go to work in the morning.

Rick

Back
Top Bottom