Join Early Retirement Today
Old 05-31-2008, 02:00 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by rs0460a View Post
Before May 1, 2007 I did something else. Unfortunately, I don't remember anything prior to that date...

- Ron
I can relate to that....'cept for me it was April 4, 2007! I remember the times up until Kindergarten, then things gets pretty fuzzy from then until that wonderful day in April '07! Up until the 'big people' sent me away to K-garten, I experienced about 5 magnificent years of "Endless Days of Play"........Now, for soon to be 14 months, I've reconnected with, and have been relishing in, those re-discovered "Endless Days of Play"!!!

Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2008, 10:12 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets
It's been 4 months and 30 days. Every day, I feel like it's the first day of summer vacation. There's this feeling of endless possibility stretching ahead--I can't believe I finally made it! Life is great!

rocketdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 10:22 PM   #63
Tomorrow will be 2 years for me. I am loving it. I don't know if I would have taken the early retirement offer if I had not been reading here. Thanks to everybody here for all the great information!
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 10:23 PM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.
It will be two years June 18th. DW and I just returned from a six week cross-country RV trip last week. Next Saturday we fly to Hawaii for a two week vacation. Life is good!
Retire Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 07:35 AM   #65
Cut my work week back to 25 hours about 2.5 years ago. Last month I cut back even further to 15 hours. Working only 4 mornings a week is great. Not sure when I will pull the plug all the way. I can work from home and still have full benefits so I stay on. My DW passed away about 5 years ago, still have a son in high school. Older daughter just finished law school.
It gives me something to do, pay is ok, hours are flexible and Insurance is fully paid for. At 55 this seems right for me. I have worked most of my life and don't have many hobbies or friends that are retired. I am trying to change that now that I have more free time.
FreeAtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 04:02 PM   #66
Moderator Emeritus
Let's see, it's 12:01 PM HST 1 June, so that would make it-- five years, 364 days, 12 hours, and one minute. Maybe I'll wake up at 2359 to celebrate the ticker rolling over... but probably not!

The book written on, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:59 AM   #67
From a career job, been away since Feb 3, 2000 at age 50
From any job related to the profession my degree is in, sometime in Feb 2001. Did consulting work for a year but finally decided to quit that.
Since then, work Jan-April doing tax returns. Keeps reminding me what other parent's lives are really like.

RE2Boys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 08:24 PM   #68
Dryer sheet aficionado
6 years and 11 months. Everytime I think I want to find a paying interferes with my workout schedule, or nap time, or my kid's games/practices.... and then I get to thinking about the commute and that clinches it!!
kevin92610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Playing Hooky
Old 06-09-2008, 06:23 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets
Playing Hooky

I actually did time the market and retire. I sold out in December of 1999 because I knew I was going to retire and not be adding anything more to my account.

I sold with the S&P at 1330 or there abouts. Today the S&P is 1361 so I would have gained nothing by staying in compared to the money market interest I made. My work mates were not so lucky. They were all "buy and hold" guys, even my doctor, and the other guys at my boat harbor.

I retired in 2002 with a buy-out, a pension, health care, money market returns, and real estate income. Still keep an office for my own projects and do an occasional job if it looks like fun.

Spending a lot more time at the ranch, I'm there now. It's great not having to go back Sunday night if I don't feel like it. I remember driving to work in the early morning and thinking, "I wish I could just keep driving and play hooky."

Now I do.
boont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:23 PM   #70
I FIREd almost 14 months ago. I have spent about 8 months of that time traveling around the world. About half of the rest of the time was spent moving and doing necessary FIRE stuff like getting health insurance, getting ready for my trips, etc.

I return to the USA in just over a week and I will be relaxing more for awhile instead of traveling around from country to country. I plan to live in Thailand in the Fall, but it will be more living and less traveling.

My spending has been a bit less than I anticipated.

kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 08:22 AM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets
Retired 53 weeks ago. Best period of my life.
Jake46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:25 PM   #72
It will be 1 year at the end of this month. Traveled around Asia, visited family around the country, trying to get house (30+ years of accumulation) in order, 3 months just hanging out and playing poker in Sin City. The budget is about right (but that's more LBYM habits than good planning).
Life is GREAT!
megacorp-firee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 05:45 PM   #73
It's been 8 yrs and 3 months since I was tied to the 'plow'. That means I retired March 1st 2000 . So far I survived the blow intact .
“I guess I should warn you, if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” Alan Greenspan
Bikerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 01:58 PM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets
it's been 11 months and one week for me

been 5 months for my wife

I've almost perfected the art of having fun all day long without accomplishing anything. just one big goof-off. After 34 years straight at Megacorp, I deserve it.
using an 8.5% withdrawal rate until SS kicks in
albundyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 09:51 AM   #75
11 months, 3 weeks.

built a woodshed, skied all winter, have taken several trips, started playing piano again....

life is good!!! How did I ever find time to go to the office?
I have an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one.
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 07:30 PM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets
July 1 marks 2 years for me. First 3 months were especially sweet while I burned accumulated leave. Not only was it cool to get paid every Friday without going to work, but I learned a higher-up was quite tweaked with me that I had accumulated so much vacation/personal time and with HR for granting my time-off requests. I Don't know why, I played by their rules. I suspect it had much to do with my declining to accept a new work assignment and instead submitting my resignation letter which ended with "Oh, by the way, I'll be taking the next 3 months off and I won't be coming back." I know one isn't supposed to burn bridges, but it was extremely satisfying nonetheless! The (or his agent, FIRE) made me do it!

Yipee-Ki-O is offline   Reply With Quote