How to take a 30 day vacation from mud season

lem1955

Recycles dryer sheets
First year FIRE - we want to take a 30 day vacation away from mud season in Vermont. Destination must be mud free but doesn't have to be warm. How can we get away for 30 days and spend no more than $5,000? Looking for suggestions that do not entail sleeping on the ground!

Have you used vacation rentals by owner? VRBO - The Most Popular Vacation Rental Site in the US

Here is a search for 1 Apr - 30 Apr for Charleston, SC.

Charleston Area Vacation Rentals sleeping 2-plus From VRBO

A number of properties under $150 per day with others cheaper. I imagine that if you searched locations not along coast you might even find cheaper accommodations.

My preference for April would be Colorado, Texas, AZ, or NM. All reasonable weather with plenty of activities; just longer drive than staying on east coast.

Marc

When is mud season? March/April?

That's low season in southern Europe. You could rent an apartment for not much money! For example, bungalow - Ciudad Quesada - VRBO this one is 300 euros a month and has a 5-star rating from previous guests. Now this is 15 min by car from the ocean which is probably why it's so very cheap. Temperatures would be warmer than Vermont but not beach weather.

We are doing our first extended travel session this fall/winter for a month in Key West. We were able to find a decent place on VRBO for ~$5k from Mid Nov to Mid December. Most places ranged from 3k-10k for the month.

First year FIRE - we want to take a 30 day vacation away from mud season in Vermont. Destination must be mud free but doesn't have to be warm. How can we get away for 30 days and spend no more than $5,000? Looking for suggestions that do not entail sleeping on the ground!

Come to Minnesota. There will not be any mud until at least mid-May... And the ice should be off the lakes by then (no guarantees).

When is mud season and what activities are you interested in? Do you want to drive or fly? Your question is pretty general.

Let me know what month you want to go and your personal interests. I can easily point you in the right direction.

We flew into Las Vegas in February nonstop on Southwest Airlines. Then went non-stop to Honolulu on Allegiant Air. And back to San Francisco on Hawaiian Airlines. Then home on Southwest Airlines. Weather was great all the way, and all of our friends and relatives were freezing their tails off. And it was nowhere close to being a $5K trip.

In many U.S. mountain locations, late March to late May is very rainy. Local citizens simply leave and to their other home locations.

Let me know what month you want to go and your personal interests. I can easily point you in the right direction.

We flew into Las Vegas in February nonstop on Southwest Airlines. Then went non-stop to Honolulu on Allegiant Air. And back to San Francisco on Hawaiian Airlines. Then home on Southwest Airlines. Weather was great all the way, and all of our friends and relatives were freezing their tails off. And it was nowhere close to being a $5K trip.

In many U.S. mountain locations, late March to late May is very rainy. Local citizens simply leave and to their other home locations.
Bamaman,

You could have mentioned your neck of the woods for March-April.

My upcoming vacation would fit and would be epic! For 2, fly to Johannesburg, $1800, rent a car $500, drive to Kruger national park, $70 rondavels per night $2100. Trip of a lifetime!

Gee, I'm glad I made my question so general, because you all have some great "out-of-my-box" answers. Mud Season in VT is March-April. We have two large dogs we will be taking with us so this one will be a driving trip. We are thinking of vrbo in Asheville, NC and Emerald Isle, NC about 10 -12 days in each place. I've found some pet friendly places in each. Maybe next year South Africa or Europe!

I can sympathize! My sis lives in Burlington and they come down to Charleston for a week in February every year to escape the mud!
Asheville is pretty, and the beach in NC is nice, too. You'll have a nice drive if you choose either of those.

Back
Top Bottom