Hudson Valley - comments?

SunnyOne

Recycles dryer sheets
I've been living in a HCOL major east coast city for many years during my working career. Planning to retire in a couple of months and then spend a couple of months traveling. That takes me to the late spring time and a desire to find a place to live, at least initially while I figure out what I want to do with the rest of my life.

Single, no pets...love urban/cultural as much as back roads/peaceful.

For various reasons, I am targeting the first couple of years spent in the Hudson Valley area of NY state, preferably, west of the river.

Would appreciate any suggestions for towns to focus in on - proximity to public transport to NYC is a plus (train or bus) - as well towns where musicians tend to congregate.

I am aware of the downsides- cost, rust belt relics, etc.

Thanks!

It’s been a couple decades since I lived there. But back then the commuter train to the city was on the east bank of the Hudson. We’d take a cab over bear mountain bridge and grab the train at Garrison. Bus routes took one to NYC via the Palisades.

I only have vague memories of Highland Falls, Newburgh, Goshen, and Poughkeepsie. If I had to pick any of those places, I’d pick Goshen as I recall enjoying the partly nice/partly seedy downtown. But I don’t think it’s immediately on the river.

My room overlooked the river for 3 semesters. Great view in the summer and spring, fantastic in autumn.

Sorry, I’m afraid I’m not too much help.

You don't say how far up the valley you're interested in living, but Albany would probably be a good choice IMO.

I am willing to consider anywhere from Rockland and Westchester Counties all the way to Albany, preference for the west side of the river, but willing to consider the east side.

Do you have a reason for mentioning Albany?

Thank you.

I've stopped in the area many times over the years and just noticed that it seemed to be a good place to live. Plenty to do, entertainment, dining, outdoor activity, etc.

I also like Saratoga Springs, but that's a bit further up the valley.

Spend some time there. I find I can get a pretty good feeling for any town within a few days.

DW and I live in Bergen County NJ and often go "upstate" for day trips. I could see why OP wants to live there. As others wrote, the train to NYC is on the eastern side of the Hudson. One can always drive across from the western side and park in the station's lot. There are also lots of nice small towns on the eastern side.

I would spend 2 weeks driving north on the east side and south on the west side.
Stay in cities/towns you might be interested in based upon research.
Do a lot of walking.

It is beautiful country and some parts are very affordable thanks to depopulation.
Some cities/towns are cute and trendy. Others are complete sh-tholes.

Yes, I'll be retired at that point, so I will have lots of time to explore locations. I think the east side of the river is great and has advantages. My reason for the west side is that I can more easily ski the Catskills and drive to see family in Binghamton NY.

It's been a few years since that was part of my work territory, but I remember Saugerties, Kingston, and parts of Nyack being livable.

Westchester county is one of the most expensive counties to live in the USA. Rockland can be less expensive (depending on the part). It really depends on your budget, needs and minimum standard of living.

Living within 90 minutes of NYC can be pricey. I live on the Rockland/Bergen border and know Rockland (and upstate NY) pretty well. Nyack has a lot of restaurants and a few that have music. It's also about 45 minutes from midtown NYC (Not during rush hour) There aren't any real artist/musician areas.

Any other specific questions?

Come to Connecticut, specifically the New Haven area. Easy to get to NYC on the train, easy access to an airport. Plenty of musicians. Not that much farther to Binghamton. And you can ski in Vermont or NH (there are spots to ski in CT, but they're admittedly not too great)

Beacon is a very nice small town and there’s a train line stop for easy access to NYC . The DIA beacon art museum is there which is fantastic. It’s a refurbished ( nabisco ? ) box factory. And there’s a local music venue there called the town crier I think which has great acts booked there all the time. The small downtown area is nice also .

I currently live in the Hudson Valley.

Beacon has undergone a lot of transformation over the last few years and has a very nice Main Street area. It has an active arts scene. It is on the east side of the river with trains that go right into NYC. I also like Cold Spring which is the town south of Beacon.

Warwick, NY is a nice area but I am not sure about the train situation from there. The Woodstock, NY area is very artsy as well, but a bit more touristy and further from NYC. I also like the Hyde Park area that has the Culinary Institute of America, FDR Library, Vanderbilt Mansion, etc.

The trains that go into Grand Central are on the east side of the river. You can catch a train to the NYC area from the west side of the river, but it goes through New Jersey and requires transfers.

Last edited:
I lived in Rockland County, South Nyack, Orangetown, Piermont etc. for 20 or so years. Also about a year near outside of Monroe. One of the best moves in my life was to get out of NY state. That was well ver 40 years ago.

I lived in Rockland County, South Nyack, Orangetown, Piermont etc. for 20 or so years. Also about a year near outside of Monroe. One of the best moves in my life was to get out of NY state. That was well ver 40 years ago.

As another former New Yorker, I'm with you. But there is some spectacularly beautiful country there, and if the OP wants to give it a try I think he may enjoy it. Many people do.

Another former resident here of both lower Hudson Valley and Connecticut. It’s a beautiful region with lots of history, culture and natural beauty. It is a HCOL region. I’d say two critical factors are how close OP wants to be to NYC, and if he wants to get there by car or train.

I'm on the east side of the Hudson, just waiting for the wife to retire so we can leave this godforsaken state.

When I was young and living in Brooklyn, I spent uncounted weekends at The Gunks, one of the best rock climbing places in the world.

The Shawangunk mountains, near New Paltz, NY, have these beautiful vertical rock faces that are like a magnet for anyone who likes to climb. That's where I learned ropework, rappeling, and teamwork. Alas, back in those unenlightened days we still drove pitons into the rock face and often left them there.

gunks.jpg

The Hudson Valley has so many hidden gems like this. Today I'm long past rock climbing ability, but I was back there (in the Catskills) last year for some fantastic trout fishing.

As another former New Yorker, I'm with you. But there is some spectacularly beautiful country there, and if the OP wants to give it a try I think he may enjoy it. Many people do.
Agree. I like the Adirondacs, Blue mountain lake area. Used to install earthquake sensors and service them in the reagion, and telemeter the real time data to Middlebury College in Vermont, from there via phone lines to Palisades NY... Usually did the work after the black fly season, say October on. Summers I was in Alaska.

One late november day I was mistaken for a mountain hermit, while in one of the local diners. Couple of guy asked me when I came out of the forest. I recall at hunting season start, state police would pre locate embulances and rescue helicopters, and bet on the number drunk hunters shooting each other on opening day.:LOL: Yep, them were tha days!!!

I recall at hunting season start, state police would pre locate embulances and rescue helicopters, and bet on the number drunk hunters shooting each other on opening day.:LOL: Yep, them were tha days!!!

I used to have a friend with a small farm in the Catskills. He had a very realistic statue of a buck in his front yard, and every Autumn he went out and touched up the paint on it to make it as lifelike as possible.

On opening day, the local sheriff (or sometimes state troopers) would park behind his barn and just wait.

Sometime after dawn, the first of the "Sears, Roebuck hunters" would drive up from the city and see the deer (statue), just standing there. They would grab their rifle, open the passenger side window, and blast away. The cops would roll out from behind the barn and write some tickets. It was a big money maker for law enforcement, so they always turned a blind eye when my friend harvested deer throughout the year. Since he used them to feed his family, nobody ever minded.

I used to have a friend with a small farm in the Catskills. He had a very realistic statue of a buck in his front yard, and every Autumn he went out and touched up the paint on it to make it as lifelike as possible.

On opening day, the local sheriff (or sometimes state troopers) would park behind his barn and just wait.

Sometime after dawn, the first of the "Sears, Roebuck hunters" would drive up from the city and see the deer (statue), just standing there. They would grab their rifle, open the passenger side window, and blast away. The cops would roll out from behind the barn and write some tickets. It was a big money maker for law enforcement, so they always turned a blind eye when my friend harvested deer throughout the year. Since he used them to feed his family, nobody ever minded.
Now that’s when I call community outreach and public - private partnership.

Yes, and I still remember fondly the links of summer sausage hanging on clotheslines throughout his basement. Some of the best I've ever had!

Back
Top Bottom