I am unofficially RETIRED!!

flyfishnevada

Full time employment: Posting here.
I left w*rk for the last time yesterday. I am not officially retired until the 4th, but I don't have to go back. I had to take an unpaid furlough for July and determined that I didn't want to work in July so I took another day off to finish the week.

It feels great, though slightly surreal. I know in a few days the dreads will return, but I think it will feel good to banish them by remembering I don't have to go to w*rk. I also have an irrational feeling that someone is going to call and inform me it's all a big mistake. I triple checked my service credit, so that won't happen. A little bit of a too good to be true feeling.

I am taking 6 months to just relax, go fishing, golfing, rebuild my Jeep, practice my guitar, write a book (start anyway), do some home improvement and figure out exactly what I want to do. Since my kids are in school for 6 more years, doing some part-time w*rk to make a few bucks for projects and travel is probably in the cards. I can pay my bills with some left over, but making a little more doing something I enjoy doesn't sound so bad. It's not like DW and I can jaunt off to Europe for 6 weeks or go full-timing in an RV until the kids are out of the house.

Anyway, thanks for everyone's support and advice over the last few months. I look forward to speaking from experience on the subject of ER from now on.:cool:

Congrats! Congrats! Enjoy! :ROFLMAO:

Congratulations! :clap: :dance:

Don't forget to re-learn the fine skill of afternoon napping. :D

flyfishnevada, congratulations! Wonderful news!

Watch out, trout :)

Coach

Last edited:
Congratulations. I was going to work part time, too, but 3+ years later, I still haven't gotten around to it. :whistle:

I also have an irrational feeling that someone is going to call and inform me it's all a big mistake. I triple checked my service credit, so that won't happen. A little bit of a too good to be true feeling.
I so had that feeling!

For several years I also had the the occasional nightmare that my retirement had been a dream and I was still somehow obligated to work.

Congratulations! What a great reason to celebrate July 4th Independence Day! And now that will always be your anniversary.

Audrey

Congratulations and welcome to the club! :cool:
Now all you have to do is ENJOY.

I am taking 6 months to just relax, go fishing, golfing, rebuild my Jeep, practice my guitar, write a book (start anyway), do some home improvement and figure out exactly what I want to do.
Whew...all that makes me tired....

hmmm, ok...here I go...1...2...3....
smiley-happy093.gif
.....just for you.

Congratulations. :)

I am taking 6 months to just relax, go fishing, golfing, rebuild my Jeep, practice my guitar, write a book (start anyway), do some home improvement

Whoa man, save something for the rest of your life. You don't want to do it all in 1/2 a year!:cool:

Congrats, and Welcome to the loafers club~It has nothing to do with shoes.

Congratulations!

Sometimes a thought crosses my mind: I'm not FI and I shouldn't have ER'd. When this happens, I check my SS, pension, and investment $$ again and take a nap. The anxiety departs. I'm having less concerns as time goes on.

Things will work out nicely for you--even if (or especially if) you never get around to taking that parttime job.

So happy for you! BTW, naps are great but to me the best thing is waking up naturally and not to an alarm clock at 4 am. That's was my work life wake up time to beat the awful DC area traffic.

Eat, drink, love and catch some fish!

BTW, this has become my traditional "congrats" vid. Captures the feeling of freedom so well.

YouTube - I'm Free x Rolling Stones

I am sooo jealous! Big congrats on getting FIRE'd. :)

Would you believe today here in Seatle is opening day for the Fishing Season? Coincidence? I think not! :D

Congrats FlyFish!

Looks like you've got a great list of things to start ER - its a good sign that you put home improvement last on the list

It feels great, though slightly surreal. I know in a few days the dreads will return, but I think it will feel good to banish them by remembering I don't have to go to w*rk. I also have an irrational feeling that someone is going to call and inform me it's all a big mistake. I triple checked my service credit, so that won't happen. A little bit of a too good to be true feeling.

I had that happen too, I can't say how many times I went over the numbers thinking "can this really be true?" We checked with several retirees and a financial planner to make sure there were no unpleasant surprises coming. As time goes on you'll realize that no one is going to call you back.

As it turned out I did stumble into another job, but I definitely have my KMA hat intact, and I don't have to set an alarm clock. The fact that it's optional makes a world of difference.

Super congrats, just 4 days in! I am having the same experiences you are having (I am just 34 days into mine).

We are nearly dopplegangers at this juncture:

"relax, go garage saling [-]fishing[/-], gardening [-]golfing[/-], rebuild my chicken coop [-]Jeep[/-], practice my knitting [-]guitar[/-], write a blog [-]book[/-] (start anyway), do some home cleaning [-]improvement[/-] and figure out exactly what I want to do."

The "surprise" blessing thus far for me has been a supreme agility to go with the flow, adapt on the fly. because I have all-the-time-in-the-world!

The "surprise" curse is that I think about the money part way too often. I'm gonna have to meditate on that behavior, and learn to trust my plan. :nonono:

Back
Top Bottom