I got My Retirement Clock!

flyfishnevada

Full time employment: Posting here.
I got my retirement clock from my employer today. Kind of odd since I don't retire until July. It's kind of cool. Its like a little wooden book. You open the cover and on one side is a plaque thanking me for 25 years of service. The other side has a little clock. I here the assistant director will "present" it to me and another to a guy that retires in June for a photo op. He's a good guy. Someone said the Governor was going to do it and we both refused. Its feeling kind of real suddenly. I am going to turn in my application on Monday. Kind of surreal.:D

How cool!! Congratulations. :)

I have to admit that for a second, I thought the title of your thread was "I got my retirement check!"

I was going to post something like, "Gee, that was sure fast!" or "Great feeling to have it in the bank, isn't it!" :LOL:

Oh - I thought you meant a clock like this:

_bd_zw5wb2k___kgrhqih-cqerhemv3wwbk4ortgj6w___35.jpg

I got my Dad one like this many years ago for Xmas, and he crowed about it for weeks! And had to show everybody!

Audrey

P.S. Like W2R I first read "I got My Retirement Check" and thought - where was mine? Then I realized - well, I did walk away with a boatload of company stock, so I can't complain! :D

Interestingly my "Emeritus" gift was not a clock but a chair. In academia being a professor with a "chair" is an honor, but you are only the "holder" of the chair. In our shop when they make you Emeritus, they give you a Chair for your very own.

If there is a better job in the world than a full Professor, it is Professor Emeritus. All the fun with none of the headaches. Research and teaching with no administration and no forms to full out.

I wonder if retirement clocks and golden watches aren't just some kind of practical joke. Maybe it's just ignorance on the part of the employer, like they think you will miss the clock on the wall. Just a strange gift to give someone that will soon not give darn about what time it is. However, I do appreciate the sentiment.

I'm sure the company's sentiments are appreciated, but the timekeeping gift that's really needed for ER is this one:

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/the-perfect-fire-gift-25738.html

Yes, this is a real product...

I think that clock is too complicated. Now that I can set my DVR to record shows, why would I care what day of the week it is.:cool:

Back
Top Bottom