I Quit my Job today

Congratulations!

I used to hate the alarm clock that got me out of bed at 6:00 am to go to work. Now, most days I'm up and rarin' to go at 05:00. Every few months there will be a day that I feel like sleeping in to 8 or 9. It's nice to have no pressure. really, really nice!

Gawd, I have never done so little work in a day like I did today. Motivation is zero, care factor even less. All I care about is me, me and me and getting ready to get this process over with. I hope they find a replacement and I can drive off into the sunset and live happily ever after. I started to make a list of the books I want to read and can't wait to start playing tennis again to lose some of the weight that badly needs to be shifted.

Hmmm, weight might need to be shifted--and that will come later, but it sounds like your mind is already making the move to being retired! Hang in there, you're almost there!

I'm on a one month count down. Many people already know I am out of here. It really is getting boring watching everyone slave away....

My story is a little different from the others. I was very happy in the teaching profession. I actually enjoyed my job.

As I came closer to the age of 55, I realized that life is not forever. We need to be thankful for each day, as our life can come to an end in a heartbeat.

I asked myself the following question, "If you only had a year to live, would you spend it teaching." The answer was a definitive no. The next question is, "So then why am I working?"

Working made no sense. My wife and I were financially independent, so why why not spend each day doing something we enjoy more?

We both turned in our notice in the Spring of 2006 and have enjoyed our stress free lives ever since. As much as I loved teaching, traveling is much more enjoyable.

I now look forward to weekdays, when kids are in school and everybody is at work and the roads are less crowded. We can now choose the ideal time when we want to go somewhere and not be overwhelmed with crowds. When we see drivers rushing to get to work on time, we feel sorry for them.

Some may ask, "Well don't you get bored?" My standard rebuttal is, "I don't know when I ever had time for work before."

I can still vividly an incident that took place as we drove down Cape Cod in the afternoon a year ago this month. We stopped for a sandwich at a deli and decided to make a picnic out of our lunch and eat in a park. While we were enjoying our lunch, a school bus stopped and dropped off some noisy children. As they got off the bus, I was thankful that I was now able to spend my time traveling instead of being confined to a classroom. This incident has always served to validate my decision for early retirement.

I wish you many years of freedom, contentment and happiness, DangerMouse!

Back
Top Bottom