Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What is the ideal house/apt square footage for a single woman in her 60's?
250-750 square feet 16 13.56%
750-1250 square feet 61 51.69%
1250-1750 square feet 33 27.97%
1750-2250 square feet 6 5.08%
2250-2750 square feet 0 0%
2750-3250 square feet 1 0.85%
>3250 square feet: Go for the McMansion!!! 1 0.85%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Idea house/apt for singles?
Old 10-04-2007, 08:51 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Idea house/apt for singles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Ah, that is the life! I lived on a large trimaran (with someone) for a while when I was 19, back in the 1960's. It was wonderful, for several reasons! But these days, it is such a pain getting a live-in slip. Besides, I am just not as suited to that life any more and I am headed to Missouri.
Is your heart set on Missouri?

Would you consider moving to the GREAT STATE of TEXAS? If yes, Lubbock and Corpus Christi are nice.

The cost of living in Lubbock is not bad and the price of homes are going down.

As for the ideal SF for a single person I guess that would depend on what you would like and how much you have (things, furniture, etc..., etc..)

Texas can always use a few more GOOD people and if you decide to come down I am sure you would be welcomed.

GOD BLESS

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2007, 09:10 AM   #42
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post
Is your heart set on Missouri?

Would you consider moving to the GREAT STATE of TEXAS? If yes, Lubbock and Corpus Christi are nice.

The cost of living in Lubbock is not bad and the price of homes are going down.

As for the ideal SF for a single person I guess that would depend on what you would like and how much you have (things, furniture, etc..., etc..)

Texas can always use a few more GOOD people and if you decide to come down I am sure you would be welcomed.

GOD BLESS
Well thank you for such a wonderful compliment!! I lived in College Station from 1984 to 1996, and really liked Texas and the down to earth, practical attitude that Texans often seem to have. Although Texas doesn't have an income tax (which is nice), I still remember the property taxes there which were sky high. I also remember the scorching, withering heat without a drop of rain to cool things off in the summer. But still, I haven't completely ruled out Texas. My dear friend Frank, who will be retiring to the same place as me, isn't too crazy about the real estate tax situation there but maybe he will "see the light".

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:27 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Peace and quiet? I dunno. I lived in an apartment before I bought my house, and it was a reasonable place to live. Some of the aspects I didn't like about it were the parking situation, listening to my neighbors boots stomping across the floor over my head, and knowing people were all around me, whether I heard them or not. All of these were more related to the fact that it was an apartment, than due to the size, though.
Well apartment living is not for everyone.I grew up and lived most of my life in a condo, so it is the kind of things I am totally used to. Plus the condos I lived in were all made of reinforced concrete with good sound-proof insulation so noisy neighboors were never a problem.

Quote:
If I buy a small house, I am going to have some remodeling in my future (ugh). I haven't seen many houses in Middle America with the amenities I want like granite countertops, French doors, crown molding, and a huuuuuge tiled shower, on a third of an acre with no homeowners' association, that were in the 750-1250 square foot range
My dream is to eventually exchange my current house for a smaller condo loaded with luxury features. I don't care about spending a lot of money for ever more space, what I want is top notch construction quality, architectural details, marble counter tops and custom cabinets in the kitchen and bathroom, bathroom tiled floor to ceiling with high quality porcelain sink and tube, high quality fixtures, etc.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:33 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sooo - you print out this thread/get your yellow highlighter/underline the stuff you want in your house/take it to an architect/tell him it's for SW Missouri or Texas - and you have your ideal house.

Now finding the low property tax ex-cow pasture/perfect subdivision to put it in - that may be another thread - perhaps with a few Texas jokes.

How come I never hear Missouri jokes - cause there are none! Dorothy/Toto/OZ/Kansas but poor Missouri gets no respect!

heh heh heh
Old 10-04-2007, 10:35 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If I buy a small house, I am going to have some remodeling in my future (ugh). I haven't seen many houses in Middle America with the amenities I want like granite countertops, French doors, crown molding, and a huuuuuge tiled shower, on a third of an acre with no homeowners' association, that were in the 750-1250 square foot range.
My shower is one of the things I really love about my house. I put in a walk-in shower, a lot like this: Professional Builders - Shower Systems Walk In.

The only difference is that I put a shower head on the wall that becomes curved, so we had to put in a row of tiles to house the plumbing. The back walls have the same tile and I think it looks even nicer than this one. The light from the glass blocks makes it seem roomier, and it's really nice not dealing with a door or stepping over the side of a tub.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:42 AM   #46
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Sooo - you print out this thread/get your yellow highlighter/underline the stuff you want in your house/take it to an architect/tell him it's for SW Missouri or Texas - and you have your ideal house.

Now finding the low property tax ex-cow pasture/perfect subdivision to put it in - that may be another thread - perhaps with a few Texas jokes.

How come I never hear Missouri jokes - cause there are none! Dorothy/Toto/OZ/Kansas but poor Missouri gets no respect!

heh heh heh
I just might do that. Builders are going to be needing some work after this housing bust, after all. Having a house built could take a couple of years, but I would (probably?) end up with a house that I like. Well, I know they would probably say 1 year, but whatever they say I would mentally double or triple the time.

Don't know about the Missouri jokes. Maybe they have them in Kansas?

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 10-04-2007, 10:47 AM   #47
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
My shower is one of the things I really love about my house. I put in a walk-in shower, a lot like this: Professional Builders - Shower Systems Walk In.

The only difference is that I put a shower head on the wall that becomes curved, so we had to put in a row of tiles to house the plumbing. The back walls have the same tile and I think it looks even nicer than this one. The light from the glass blocks makes it seem roomier, and it's really nice not dealing with a door or stepping over the side of a tub.
I love the glass blocks on your shower, and not dealing with a door! These were already part of my "fantasy shower" concept, and the size of your shower is just right too. One thing that I really love in a shower is the feel of small tiles under my feet instead of just a flat surface. My fantasy shower would have those, too, as well as a small, sturdy tile bench across one end for sitting to scrub my feet, or for when I get old.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 10-04-2007, 10:49 AM   #48
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
My dream is to eventually exchange my current house for a smaller condo loaded with luxury features. I don't care about spending a lot of money for ever more space, what I want is top notch construction quality, architectural details, marble counter tops and custom cabinets in the kitchen and bathroom, bathroom tiled floor to ceiling with high quality porcelain sink and tube, high quality fixtures, etc.
Ah!! Now you (like me) are someone who can appreciate a little luxury in life.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 10-04-2007, 05:21 PM   #49
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Ah, that is the life! I lived on a large trimaran (with someone) for a while when I was 19, back in the 1960's. It was wonderful, for several reasons! But these days, it is such a pain getting a live-in slip. Besides, I am just not as suited to that life any more and I am headed to Missouri.
you had fun in the 60s, didn't you? hey, you could always put a houseboat on the big muddy.

just came back from taking a peek at a cheoy lee motorsailer, similar to one pictured. $200k and she'll take you around the world a few times. very tempting. if i had a partner my house would be up for sale and i'd be shopping for life jackets today. as a single guy it's gonna take more thought.

hard to judge the square footage. my first guess might be right or maybe just under 400 sf. two little heads with showers. three staterooms. two without full headroom over the bunks but the master is of decent size and not at all claustrophobic. enough windows in the pilothouse that natural light flows down into the galley/main salon. plenty of storage under decks and in bulkheads. even a washer/dryer unit hidden in solid teak cabinetry.

living small is a good exercise in efficiency. first thing i'd want to do in the galley would be install a deeper sink but investigating under the sink shows that a deeper sink would cut off a bunch of valuable storage space running back to the hull. so there's a lot of compromise but the payoffs can be enormous.

even if i don't do a boat soon i'd like to be in something smaller. i think i could be very happy vagabonding in studio apartments. for me, that's 5 extra rooms i won't have to clean.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 06:04 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by twaddle View Post
Where do you keep the drum set?
At a friends house close by- we play there. I can't practice as much as I want to, but I couldn't in my apt anyway becasue of noise. I do practice on conga and doumbek (the North African belly dance drum)

Ha
Old 10-04-2007, 07:07 PM   #51

I bought a 3300 sq ft three story home when I was in my late 30's and single. That was about 1992. I'm a "space queen" and just love the place. When I got married five years ago DH and I decided to downsize. We got hit with sticker shock when we went looking for smaller places and could not get our heads around paying more for less square footage so have decided to keep this barn and remodel. Sure, we do not use all of it but the mortgage payment is low as are the property taxes and believe it or not it is really not all that expensive to maintain.

Heating it in the winter is a pain but we are working on up grading the insulation and that is keeping cost within reason.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:21 PM   #52
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattusbabe View Post
I bought a 3300 sq ft three story home when I was in my late 30's and single. That was about 1992. I'm a "space queen" and just love the place. When I got married five years ago DH and I decided to downsize. We got hit with sticker shock when we went looking for smaller places and could not get our heads around paying more for less square footage so have decided to keep this barn and remodel. Sure, we do not use all of it but the mortgage payment is low as are the property taxes and believe it or not it is really not all that expensive to maintain.

Heating it in the winter is a pain but we are working on up grading the insulation and that is keeping cost within reason.
Interesting that it's not that expensive to maintain! Depending on how far north you are, I can imagine that heating it could be difficult so I hope the insulation will help. Thanks for the input.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 10-04-2007, 10:41 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

There are ways to cope with a bigger house in winter. Use space heaters to heat the room you are in. An electric mattress pad (or blanket) keeps you cozy at night even with the heat turned way down. Luckily the cold really doesn't bother me much but I have to remember to be kind to guests that visit and remember to turn up the heat!
Old 10-05-2007, 12:15 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Use space heaters to heat the room you are in. An electric mattress pad (or blanket) keeps you cozy at night even with the heat turned way down.
If you do this, do you sometimes experience mold problems? I did this when I lived out in the country for several years. In addition to being really uncomfortable, I got some mold on the windows and even on the walls.

Ha
Old 10-05-2007, 07:17 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
If you do this, do you sometimes experience mold problems? I did this when I lived out in the country for several years. In addition to being really uncomfortable, I got some mold on the windows and even on the walls.

Ha
I haven't seen a problem with mold except a little bit in the basement.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:16 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
At a friends house close by- we play there. I can't practice as much as I want to, but I couldn't in my apt anyway becasue of noise. I do practice on conga and doumbek (the North African belly dance drum)

Ha
Ha,

Have you tried any of the midi drum kits?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 12:28 PM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Ha
I think it depends on the part of the country you live in. You live in mold country. Here the air is so dry in the winter there is no way mold is going to form. We used to use a heated mattress pad to heat up the bed before getting into it at night. Pure luxury!

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 01:19 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No entertaining at all, no out of town guests. No hobby rooms right now since I have no time for hobbies, but might want more space for something once I am ER'd. :confused: I may want a room for a home gym, which I don't have now.

Right now I have a 1558 square foot house and actually I don't use two of the rooms much at all. However, I'm at work all the time. Maybe I would need more space once I am retired. (?) I would be home a whole lot more.

I have been looking at houses online, from 900 to 3500 square feet. I can't imagine what I'd do with the latter.
We have 600' single bedroom apartments - were i you i'd be thinking the sweet spot would be in the 1000' range to give you a bit of extra room - even that will seem like quite a downsize going from 1558'.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:35 PM   #59

My plan is to have a home built I design in the country on acrege. I don't think I will have a lawn at all just forest land or meadowland all natural. I was looking at 42 acres that is fenced and cross fenced that would be nice for horse or steers or growing hay. They could eat the extra grass if I got several steers so I would just need to give them water. Steers make good neighbors, not to noisy. If they were too much trouble I could remove the fences and have the local elk herd eat the grass.
As for a house I don't need huge I had 1140 before and only got that big because resale value seemed better on a three bedroom, two bath. I didn't even have furniture for two rooms. This house is a little bigger but there are two of us now and one bedroom is a den one a guest room.
I like 3 bedrooms and 2 baths even for one person so if you remodel a bath you still can use the other or if one is broken.
When I build I will design the kitchen sink wall to share the back of both bathrooms and the the washing machine and hot water tank so I get quick hot water and only have short pipes to protect from freezing. I like a cozy little den for my desk and watching TV, no TV in the living room. I want the kitchen, living, dining and guest room and second bath where company can go and my room and den and bath as private space with a door to shut. I love the big shower that you can go in with a wheel chair. I want my home totally handicapped accessible in case I ever need that.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:40 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
you had fun in the 60s, didn't you? hey, you could always put a houseboat on the big muddy.

just came back from taking a peek at a cheoy lee motorsailer, similar to one pictured. $200k and she'll take you around the world a few times. very tempting. if i had a partner my house would be up for sale and i'd be shopping for life jackets today. as a single guy it's gonna take more thought.

hard to judge the square footage. my first guess might be right or maybe just under 400 sf. two little heads with showers. three staterooms. two without full headroom over the bunks but the master is of decent size and not at all claustrophobic. enough windows in the pilothouse that natural light flows down into the galley/main salon. plenty of storage under decks and in bulkheads. even a washer/dryer unit hidden in solid teak cabinetry.

living small is a good exercise in efficiency. first thing i'd want to do in the galley would be install a deeper sink but investigating under the sink shows that a deeper sink would cut off a bunch of valuable storage space running back to the hull. so there's a lot of compromise but the payoffs can be enormous.

even if i don't do a boat soon i'd like to be in something smaller. i think i could be very happy vagabonding in studio apartments. for me, that's 5 extra rooms i won't have to clean.
How about a houseboat (pictured in Salmon Arm, BC)?