ideas for safe, friendly,younger retmnt communities

seeking sunshine

Confused about dryer sheets
Hi,
I'm new to the forum; so glad I found this site. I'm planning to spend a few months in the sun this winter. My husband is not ready (psychologically) to semi-retire so I'm going alone, rather than nagging him to death. Therefore, I'm starting my research now for safe communities where I can find instant, friendly,active younger retirees.

I'm very friendly and have traveled alone alot for work but an instant community with golf, cycling, pool or some kind of water access is what I'm looking for. I think I will stick to the USA for my first solo trip but I'm also open to Mexico, Panama, Costa Rica & Thailand.

Although I love seniors and the wisdom they have do offer, I am looking for communities that have a high percentage of younger retirees ie) 50's vs 70's & 80's.
Your experiences, recommendations & suggestions for specific communities, condo complexes, rv communities will be much appreciated. I will be renting for now.
Seeking sunshine.

You're doing the right thing...
Spend the time to get advice, and keep an open mind.
While doing the upfront work can help, there is nothing like "being there", so it may be better to take some time (after you do your homework) to "go"... and not make an upfront commitment.
I can only speak from my own experiences in Florida and the Tip of Texas, but believe that what you read, or the advice you get... can't replace the fact of being there... talking with the residents, and seeing for yourself.
I'm biased towards my own Florida community, for friendliness and activity, but if Florida has any interest at all, I might suggest going to "The Villages" website, and requesting information. No pressure, and an option to rent a motel within the community at a reasonable price. Only obligation is a tour of the vast Villages Complex, which will not be boring. 30+ golf courses etc... You can then take your own time to go to and investigate the preliminary choices your homework found.
Best of luck...

I might be wrong but I think you'll have trouble finding any community in the US that has a high percentage of retirees in their 50's. Although there may seem to be a lot of 'young' retirees in their 50's on this board in the general population it's very low. At the golf course I'm a member of I only know of one other member (besides myself) who is retired and in their 50's.

If there's anyplace that has a large concentration of early retirees, I'd like to know where it is! I haven't totally nailed down my target retirement yet, but it's somewhere between now (age 44) and 2020 (age 50). The only people I know, personally, in that age range who have a lot of free time are unemployed and looking for w*rk! Or if they have free time during the day, it's because they have schedules that vary, such as waiters and so forth.

Back
Top Bottom