I'm retired, so I bought a travel trailer

dm

Full time employment: Posting here.
I havn't been camping in over 30yrs, so I don't know why I bought this thing. But now that I have time and reading about others here, with their RV's, I thought I'd give it a try. It's not a fancy new motorhome, but I figure the wife and I could try out camping this way.

Here is a pic, it is a 26' Streamline.

Attachments

• trailer before 001.jpg
    trailer before 001.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 32
  • trailer before 002.jpg
    trailer before 002.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 19
Nice! the top rear light(?) makes it look like an old railway sleeper car. All wood paneled interior?

Its a 64. Some of the interior is wood paneled and some is aluminum. The wife is already into planning the remodel.

Its a 64. Some of the interior is wood paneled and some is aluminum. The wife is already into planning the remodel.

I had an old Silver Streak. Inside looked like Ozzie and Harriet. However, it did not have trailer brakes, and it was too big to go without.

Ha

I LOVE IT! What a great old trailer!
Sigh...we have an Airstream motorhome, 1976, and sometimes I wish we'd sprung for a silver bullet instead, but we didn't have a tow vehicle.
Please share your pictures of the remodel--I am thinking that we'll pull up the carpet and lino this winter and put down laminate (wood) flooring in ours.

The laminate wood flooring is on the list, along with an A/C unit. It does have trailer brakes and they seem to work fine.

Here is a before pic of the interior. Our plan is to get it ready for a trip in the spring.

Attachments

• trailer before 003.jpg
    trailer before 003.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 25
Ah another fellow with aluminitus. Nice trailer.

How heavy is it? What do you tow it with? We have a small travel trailer (T@da) and tow it with our Jeep. My wife wanted a larger Airstream but not only would it cost a lot more but we would have had to get a bigger vehicle to tow it with. DW sure likes those shinny things:whistle:

You actually did the best thing, according to Clark Howard (talk radio show). You bought used.

He suggests either renting one for few trips or buying used until you're certain you're committed to using one. His advice is due to the fact that many people buy one, use it a few times and the novelty wears off and they end up getting stuck paying for an expensive new trailer/RV they rarely if ever use.

Also, by doing this you'll learn what features you wish you had, and what you don't need, before committing big bucks to something newer/nicer.

Have fun! Looks like a great deal!

How heavy is it? What do you tow it with? We have a small travel trailer (T@da) and tow it with our Jeep. My wife wanted a larger Airstream but not only would it cost a lot more but we would have had to get a bigger vehicle to tow it with. DW sure likes those shinny things:whistle:

It is suppose to weigh 3800#, according to what I found on the net for this model, but I havn't weighed it myself. I tow it with my Chevy Avalanche that is basically a half ton pickup with a 5.3 V-8. My fuel mileage went from 18mpg to 12mpg.

3800 sounds way too light at 26' even for an aluminium trailer. It may be the stripped version dry weight. More likely towed weight will be around 4800 to 5200 lb.

My 24' Argosy tends to run around 5200 lb towed weight ready for camping. On level or slight hills, lighter tow vehicles can handle it. Once in the 8% to 10% grade hills, which I run through routinely, things become more interesting (read as really bad) with light tow vehicles at this weight, meaning less than 1/2 ton and decent wheelbase. I like a large safety margin. Though in the towing forums many heated arguments on the subject. My TV is 99 Suburban with a 7.4 engine. A slight overkill, but no hassles on steep inclines.

Our first camping trip is planned for June. I still need to install the new A/C unit, and about a dozen other things, but I think we will be ready.

Attachments

• 001 (2).JPG
    001 (2).JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 002 (2).JPG
    002 (2).JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 003 (2).JPG
    003 (2).JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 12
I also have started cleaning up the outside. This thing could be polished up to a mirror shine. Not sure if I want that though.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 7
You actually did the best thing, according to Clark Howard (talk radio show). You bought used.

He suggests either renting one for few trips or buying used until you're certain you're committed to using one. His advice is due to the fact that many people buy one, use it a few times and the novelty wears off and they end up getting stuck paying for an expensive new trailer/RV they rarely if ever use.

Also, by doing this you'll learn what features you wish you had, and what you don't need, before committing big bucks to something newer/nicer.

Have fun! Looks like a great deal!

This is excellent advise. I know a few full timers, people who sell everything/setup residence via a group like http://www.escapees.com/index2.asp and are very happy. They say rent, preferably the unit type that you want to buy, and try it out before you commit. I also know and see alot of RV's rotting in peoples yards because that don't want to keep them up, pay insurance, registrar them etc.. My direct neighbor stopped using his when he got a boat, stating that he has to make a choice when vacationing and he can't tow both. He offered his $25k RV to me for $7k! Another observation that I have made is to to make the purchase close to when you are going to actually use the RV. RV's are full of rubber, plastics, steel, wood etc.. and these things wear over time. My wife and I will probably do something similar when we hit 55, deffinitly buy used!

The unit looks like it was well cared for - ENJOY and happy trails!

Another observation that I have made is to to make the purchase close to when you are going to actually use the RV. RV's are full of rubber, plastics, steel, wood etc.. and these things wear over time.
Since dm bought a '64 model I'm not sure buying a couple of years in advance would have made much difference...;)

Great looking rennovation!

Back
Top Bottom