Intercst, still renting

goinfishin

Dryer sheet wannabe
Intercst, just curious if you are still renting or have decided to buy.

Nobody has beaten the rent vs. buy to death over here, so I figured I better start it ;)

I'm still an avid renter. Only cutting my current rent from $1,420 / month to $625 in August, now that's a return I like.

Surely :D this depends on

a) your personal like/dislikes (i.e. house vs apartment, big vs small)

b) your family size

c) your area's housing/rental market

I have 3 kids, I like my personal space :D, I purchased when rents where high and prices where low. Unfortunately, renting or buying, transaction costs are higher than index funds and "rebalancing" becomes difficult on a year-by-year basis.

Yes. I'm still renting with a lease at less than $600/month

intercst

Come on Fireman,

It usually takes us much more name calling and spreadsheets before we get the "it's a lifestyle" decision. :D

To be fair, if it wasn't for the kids, I would be renting as well. If rents rise, I could always move to where they were cheap.

Then again, you could turn this on its head and say, "Is buying rental property a good long term investment, and if so, why are you renting :confused: ?"

Food for argu .. I mean, discussion.

Opportunity cost of capital, what else could you do with your money. Of course having looked at my portfolio the last couple years, maybe buying wouldn't be such a bad opportunity ;)

At any rate I couldn't buy the place I am going to be renting for $600 a month in the neighborhood I am moving to. To buy something as cheap would require me to settle for a substandard neighborhood. So yes the landlord is likely making money off of me but in the end my lifestyle dictates where I want to live and the cheapness allows me to save a ton of money that I would not otherwise be able to do if I had to buy in the same area.

Plus, I like the idea of being able to pack up on a whim and move.

Plus, I like the idea of being able to pack up on a whim and move.

Now that's the bit I like the best! Kids, you're living with grandma for the next 20 years :eek:

I sold my house a while ago and would rent an inexpensie place now if I was going to stay in one place for awhile. I'd probably just rent a room (if I didn't have dogs) that included utilities and was probably furnished too, as I spend practically zero time at home, don't cook, and entertain at home. This gives me the greatest flexibility for the least cost and would still meet all my needs. I figure all I really need is a bed, a comfortable chair and maybe a desk to write on. Oh yeah, and my own bathroom! Plus by renting a room, I can live in areas that may be nicer than I could afford to live in if I had to pay for full rent alone. If I planned on living somewhere permanently, I'd probably buy a small condo.

Back
Top Bottom