Is ER a perculiarly America concept

We're hoping to raise our children to already be in ER as they start work. By putting everything they earn into savings/investments, and living off of only the interest.

I presume you mean "we're hoping to raise our children to be working towards FIRE as soon as they start work". Otherwise, I don't understand the above (how can someone start work and simultaneously enter early retirement?).

I presume you mean "we're hoping to raise our children to be working towards FIRE as soon as they start work". Otherwise, I don't understand the above (how can someone start work and simultaneously enter early retirement?).
Yes, I guess it may be better put that way. Keep in mind that if I had saved all my income when I was a kid until I left my parents house I could have lived off of the interest alone (which would have paid for rent/utilities/food. While I was single. Although I did earn about $12/hr when I moved out of my parents house (at 23).
One caveat. I was also in the service for a couple of years, wherein I rarely spent any of the money because I hardly ever went off base.

Back
Top Bottom