Is It MONDAY Yet?!?

Well it is Sunday and a neighbor two houses over has been mowing his 1/2 acre lawn for the past hour and still going strong at 6:53PM.

So no hanging out outside, enjoying the benefits of triple pane windows, and mucking about on the forum. OTOH it is humid outside. Castle doctrine does not apply to noise.

I know that it must annoy the neighbors terribly when I use a pushbroom and a rake to clean up my lawn debris. That constant, gentle "swish, swish" can really get on people's nerves.

You beat me to it...I was just thinking about this thread as I was raking up the leaves this morning :LOL:.

I don't care what day it is, leaf blowers should be banned!

Love electric lawn equipment. My battery powered mower is so quiet I doubt my close neighbors can even hear it. Same with the trimmer. I do have a blower that makes some noise but not as bad as most. And I only have it own maybe 2-3 minutes total. Small lot's are wonderful. :)

Well it is Sunday and a neighbor two houses over has been mowing his 1/2 acre lawn for the past hour and still going strong at 6:53PM.

So no hanging out outside, enjoying the benefits of triple pane windows, and mucking about on the forum. OTOH it is humid outside. Castle doctrine does not apply to noise.

When I was getting quotes from home builders, I wanted sound proof windows. I dont even know if they even exist, however one builder told me "no problem" there is a company in Canada that makes them. P,S. we didnt use him, and we got Andersen windows. I hear everything. Planes, leaf blowers, barking dogs, basketball dribbling, police sirens, fire engines, firecrackers, car alarms. :facepalm:

You know, I never read Hermit complaining about his neighbor's noise. Maybe the answer to the OP's problem would be to move out in the middle of nowhere.

Personally, my pet peeve is the random but pervasive sound of sirens when I'm in FL for half the year. As my buddy says every time we hear one, "I guess there's another condo available now".

Personally, my pet peeve is the random but pervasive sound of sirens when I'm in FL for half the year. As my buddy says every time we hear one, "I guess there's another condo available now".

So what's more irritating, the sirens or your friend's comment? I'd tire of the comment quickly.

I have two noise stories. I was humping at the CPA firm working a ton of hours and in Michigan, it snows. So I get home, eat and run out to snow blow at about 11PM. Neighbor wasn't too happy and came out to tell me so. It does suck to have to get your outside stuff done when you can versus when you get around to it.

More currently, I moved into a new to me house last year and all was well. When all of a sudden, these little noisy little creatures (I think they call them boys), moved next door. I don't know which is worse, the kids or the parents constantly yelling at them. A once quiet neighborhood is starting to get loud again. Circle of life.

I LOVE Mondays! No frantic wage slaves at the grocery stores and not very crowded until the SAHM's arrive with the cranky kids around 10 AM. Only contractors at Home Depot and Lowes, great to hit those places around 9 AM. Yep, I LOVE Mondays!

+1 !

I recall a recent thread where somebody mentioned how the "tick tick tick" of 60 Minutes coming on TV was a trigger for the anxiety of having to go back to w*rk on Monday. No more! :)

And "frantic wage slaves?" ROFL :LOL:

I see nothing wrong with doing outside chores nearly two hours after sunrise. 8:30 is later than I will likely wait when I need to start doing yard work soon. I hate the noise of outdoor power equipment which is why I plan to buy all EGO battery powered equipment which is much quieter. IMO, if the sun is up then it's fair game.

I see nothing wrong with doing outside chores nearly two hours after sunrise. 8:30 is later than I will likely wait when I need to start doing yard work soon. IMO, if the sun is up then it's fair game.

+1

Here in the SW desert, 2 hours after sunrise during the summer months typically means temperatures close to 100 degrees.

You know, I never read Hermit complaining about his neighbor's noise. Maybe the answer to the OP's problem would be to move out in the middle of nowhere.

Any in Boca? Top floor 2 bedrooms., 2 bathrooms, terrace, overlooking the water. And cheap

Last edited:
So what's more irritating, the sirens or your friend's comment? I'd tire of the comment quickly.

I have two noise stories. I was humping at the CPA firm working a ton of hours and in Michigan, it snows. So I get home, eat and run out to snow blow at about 11PM. Neighbor wasn't too happy and came out to tell me so. It does suck to have to get your outside stuff done when you can versus when you get around to it.

More currently, I moved into a new to me house last year and all was well. When all of a sudden, these little noisy little creatures (I think they call them boys), moved next door. I don't know which is worse, the kids or the parents constantly yelling at them. A once quiet neighborhood is starting to get loud again. Circle of life.

When the snow blower noise comes near my house, all 16 Floodlights on my Chateau come one. I humbly run to the front door with a box of Morton salt and make a feeble effort to try to shovel. I get waved off by the snow blowing neighbor, A bottle of Chivas Regal is on his door step the next day as a sign of thanks.. I love hearing the snow blower:D

+1 !

I recall a recent thread where somebody mentioned how the "tick tick tick" of 60 Minutes coming on TV was a trigger for the anxiety of having to go back to w*rk on Monday. No more! :)

And "frantic wage slaves?" ROFL :LOL:

Must be a relative of mine, I hated that sound since high school.

I see nothing wrong with doing outside chores nearly two hours after sunrise. 8:30 is later than I will likely wait when I need to start doing yard work soon. I hate the noise of outdoor power equipment which is why I plan to buy all EGO battery powered equipment which is much quieter. IMO, if the sun is up then it's fair game.

Laws in my city "On weekdays between 8 AM and 7 PM or sunset (whichever is later)
On weekends and New York State and Federal Holidays between 9 AM and 6 PM or sunset (whichever is later).

You are 30 minutes fairer than my law is. Ill call you if there is a for sale sign:D

I love Monday mornings, like right now. I am sitting here with my coffee and I can hear all the neighbors leaving for work. :)

I love Monday mornings, like right now. I am sitting here with my coffee and I can hear all the neighbors leaving for work. :)
+1... for me the day does not really matter other than the ticker is still ticking.
I'm not sure I could use a 2 stroke leave blower or or weed wacker as the ignition would likely be to close to my pacemaker.

The fastest way I've found for doing my leaves is to set it for mulch and run the tractor over the leaves. Then set it for bagging and bag up all the mulched leaves. These go into a mulch pile for use the next year.

OP - I don't hate Sunday mornings... or like them any more than any other day. You could offer to do your neighbor's leaves to save them some time if they give you some added quite time.

Laws in my city "On weekdays between 8 AM and 7 PM or sunset (whichever is later)
On weekends and New York State and Federal Holidays between 9 AM and 6 PM or sunset (whichever is later).

You are 30 minutes fairer than my law is. Ill call you if there is a for sale sign:D

In my village in New York State (Long Island), we have noise bans before 8 AM on weekdays and 9 AM on weekends, too.

Many years ago, I had to battle the landscaping company which liked to start work at 7:30 AM with their leaf blowers and weed whackers. Our co-op's Managing Agent was telling them not to start until 8 AM but they often ignored them. One Sunday night, after getting a letter from my MA telling me they had told the landscapers not to start before 8 AM, I went out and stuck signs on the shrubs telling them not to break local laws. My co-op's super saw the signs and got pissed at me, until I showed him that letter. He ran off with his tail between his legs. :cool:

That was over 10 years ago, and there have been sporadic problems with the landscapers but now they don't appear near my building until the afternoon. It's still somewhat annoying but at least they don't wake me up any more.

Here in Switzerland, Sundays are rest days for families. By law, no retail stores open, cannot make too much noise in your garden, no lawn mowing, no car washing, etc. Bliss.

-BB

WARNING!!! This is a little bit of a rant...you have been warned!

I was up this Sunday AM about 7:30 and have been enjoying some coffee and the local paper out on the deck as the weather is beautiful. But, that peace was destroyed at 8:30 when some jackwagon decided it was a great idea to break out his leaf blower and go to town.

Jackwagon is my new favorite word!

I feel your pain! One of my greatest pet peeves is the "nails on chalkboard" sound of a nearby leaf blower that goes on and on and on... and on.

However, in my neighborhood, the scourge of ear-splitting power landscaping tools is far worse on weekdays than weekends. This is due to the nearly ubiquitous use of professional lawn maintenance services by my neighbors. Every single one of my adjacent and across-the-street neighbors uses these companies to handle their yard work, and they often show up like a plague of locusts on weekday mornings during the spring, summer, and fall to conduct their jarring, cacophonous weed whacking and leaf-blowing sessions. They rarely start before about 8:30am, but a few times I've been woken up by the grating, whirring, buzzing noises from h*ll as early as 7:00. In my book, they are truly one of the worst aspects of living in suburbia.

We do have the weekday yard work, but those dudes are efficient! Most of the lots in the 'hood are 3/4 to about an acre and they can have a yard cut, bagged, trimmed and blown in about 30 minutes..it's really amazing how fast they are. But the average Joe...well, they aren't as efficient. :D

And I am happy to report that I thoroughly enjoyed my coffee and paper this morning...nice and quiet. Happy Monday, everyone!

It's NFL Sunday, you should be indoors behind that double pane glass

Yeah, I don't think so. I think I would rather have a root canal than watch an NFL game.

Here in Switzerland, Sundays are rest days for families. By law, no retail stores open, cannot make too much noise in your garden, no lawn mowing, no car washing, etc. Bliss.

-BB

+1 on this. It's fascinating that in Europe, it seems that the most secular of states seem to have done the best job of protecting the weekly day of rest. I have become entirely enamored with the European concept of Sunday in just my few trips to the Continent.

-BB

I really appreciate that weekly "rest day" when I am in Geneva. In practice, I have never heard of someone getting fined for running their lawnmower on a Sunday (even the cops take it easy on Sunday), but the neighbors will definitely voice their displeasure.

Sunday mornings are pretty quiet in my bible belt neighborhood since most everyone is at church. But Sunday afternoon gets really noisy...

Back
Top Bottom