I've been paroled!

utrecht

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
After 24 years of service on the Dallas PD, my wife and I both retired on Friday, which not coincidentally also happened to be my 50th birthday. We had a large retirement party and it was a blast. People we had worked with in various different assignments over the years showed up and congratulated us and told every funny and embarrassing story they could remember. Some I think were even made up. I had one guy show up who I had served in the Army with in Germany in the late 80's. It was very humbling to say the least.

The wife and I met at work when we were both rookies and we have our 20th anniversary coming up. We both spent about half our lives with these people doing a very challenging and rewarding job but now we are ready to move on to our next adventure.

People keep asking how it feels to be retired and honestly right now it just feels like Sunday, but I'm sure very soon its going to feel quite different. We already have 3 trips planned between now and July.

Thanks to everyone here who has given out advice having no idea that I was soaking it all in. Its been a great help as I prepared for this huge transition.

first of all, thank you for your service.

Enjoy your well earned retirement.

CONGRATULATIONS!!! :D:D:D

I am so happy for you and your wife. Retirement is wonderful. I especially love watching the traffic reports on Monday morning, over coffee, realizing that I never have to be out there in morning traffic again.

:dance: :dance:

Thanks for your service! On to bigger and better (and hopefully less dangerous) things.

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum

Congrats!

I'm just recently in the ranks of FIRE myself - loving it so far!

Yippee. Welcome to the club.

The wife and I met at work when we were both rookies and we have our 20th anniversary coming up. We both spent about half our lives with these people doing a very challenging and rewarding job but now we are ready to move on to our next adventure.

People keep asking how it feels to be retired and honestly right now it just feels like Sunday, but I'm sure very soon its going to feel quite different. We already have 3 trips planned between now and July.
Congratulations!

Don't leave the ER site now, I feel safer with a former law enforcement guy here. ;) Just kidding of course, I've enjoyed some of your insights on security matters posted here.

Besides travel which is great, what do you want to dive into personally?

Wonderful, wonderful post. The party sounds lind it was so much fun. Congratulations to you and Mrs U. So great that you can begin the new journey hand in hand.

Fantastic, Utrecht! I have no doubt you will enjoy your retirement. What are your plans?

Congratulations. Now you get to enjoy "Sunday" every day!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Congrats! Enjoy all your travels in this new adventure in your lives! DH retires on Feb 3rd. We have planned a "no time limit" travels around the US.

Congratulations to you and your DW, Utrecht ! Don't feel bad about feeling like its Sunday. EVERY day is now Sunday !!! Happy Retirement:)

Congrats to you and your wife, Utrecht.

How long is your parole for? When will you be totally free? LOL

Who's going to catch all of the bad guys in Big D now?

Not his problem any more.:LOL:

I did get teased after I retired because there was a major crime issue that happened right after I retired and moved to WV. They were not going to get me back that easy.

congrats on the hard work that led to this, I know quite a few civil servants (You don't make Megacorp $$$) and most either cant retire at this age or are forced to work other jobs, you obviously LBYM and much deserve this

Congratulations!

Don't leave the ER site now, I feel safer with a former law enforcement guy here. ;) Just kidding of course, I've enjoyed some of your insights on security matters posted here.

Besides travel which is great, what do you want to dive into personally?

We will be moving to the Ft. Lauderdale area at the end of the school year. The wife has a gaggle of relatives there and I actually get along with them better than my own. The next few months will be spent doing lots of small projects around the house getting it ready to be sold. Nothing major. Just some painting, fixing some loose floor tiles and other things like that.

Once we get to Florida, we plan to spend lots of time on hobbies that we've neglected over the years and see what new ones interest us. I love woodworking and have made some pretty nice furniture in the past and will love to have more time to devote to that. I play guitar moderately well and want to buy a nice guitar and take some lessons. She is an amazing cook but wants to go to culinary school to refine her cooking. She wants to learn Italian and grow a huge garden.

Long term, we have a goal in the next 5-7 years of buying a 40+ foot catamaran and sailing around the world.

We have definitely lived well below our means for the past 15 years and we both also have nice pensions, although she is only 45 and will have to wait until 48 to draw hers to avoid taking a huge hit. She will take a small hit by not waiting until 50 but in our situation I think its worth it.

Congrats! Enjoy all your travels in this new adventure in your lives! DH retires on Feb 3rd. We have planned a "no time limit" travels around the US.

We would love to buy an RV, travel the country for a year or so and then sell it when we get back. Not sure if/when it will happen but its on our list of adventures.

Congratulations. Time to become a PI? ;)

Actually we are considering getting P.I. licenses in Florida mainly just to keep our minds strong and occupy us from time to time. Between the two of us we have years of experience working as patrol officers, investigating crimes against children, family violence, public corruption cases, working undercover, chasing fugitives and finding people, ect. I think we would make a pretty cool husband and wife P.I. team.

Back
Top Bottom