Just how cool is this?

DRiP Guy said:
I would personally take a VERY proactive stance to get it cleared up, and also change all my security settings (maybe even ask for new account numbers) once something like this has occurred.
Sounds like you should volunteer to spend some time with redduck navigating the interactive voice response menus, waiting on hold, and then arguing with the "customer service" rep about who's making what mistakes...

Yesterday I spent 30 minutes on the phone with NFCU trying to get them to reveal the location of an ATM that was listed in their database as "[military base] Kunia, Pearl Harbor". (Kunia and Pearl Harbor are about 15 miles apart.) After dealing with the national 1-800 call center (branches don't publish their phone numbers anymore) I was grudgingly handed off to the Pearl Harbor branch, where they cast about for someone who knew the ATM's location. A guy came on the phone and gave me excellent directions.

I found out later that he wasn't an NFCU employee, he was just someone standing in the teller line who heard the receptionist trying to figure out where the ATM was. He told her he could answer the question, so she gave him the phone...

I think redduck has been patient above & beyond the call of duty, with complete disregard for his own personal safety. They won't "resolve" the problem until he tries to cash out.

Nords said:
A guy came on the phone and gave me excellent directions.

I found out later that he wasn't an NFCU employee, he was just someone standing in the teller line who heard the receptionist trying to figure out where the ATM was.

I've been that guy before...

:LOL:

Nords said:
I think redduck has been patient above & beyond the call of duty, with complete disregard for his own personal safety.

Aah, you're just sayn' that. (But, I'm still not gonna' share any of my ill-gotten gains with you--it's all going to end up in the pockets of some high-priced defense attorney).

It's gone. Somebody took the DODFX out of my account. It increased approximately $1400 in value during the couple of weeks that it was under my crafty stewardship. Scottrade also called to tell me that it was taken care of. And, apologized for the inconvience. I have a friend who deals with Merrill Lynch. He said when his account was screwed up, they gave him a box of cookies. So, that's another perk when dealing with a toney brokerage.

I guess I can try to return those books to Amazon--you know, the ones that explain how to hide your assets, hide your identity and give you info re: extradition treaties with the U.S. But, the best thing is: I no longer have to be fearful of Martha.

Nords said:
Yesterday I spent 30 minutes on the phone with NFCU trying to get them to reveal the location of an ATM that was listed in their database as "[military base] Kunia, Pearl Harbor".

The other day I encountered the ultimate phone recording from hell when I called an 800 number to make a reservation at the Annapolis Navy Lodge. After pushing the requisite number of buttons I finally got transferred to the musak and a recorded voice that said "Caller number one has been on hold for approximately one minute. You are caller number one." Then I got to hear a number of Navy oriented commercials, none of which were of any interest to an ex AF retiree. Five minutes later the recorded voice returned "Caller number one has been on hold for approximately five minutes. You are caller number one." That's when I hung up, called the direct Annapolis line, and got a real person.

SoonToRetire said:
The other day I encountered the ultimate phone recording from hell when I called an 800 number to make a reservation at the Annapolis Navy Lodge.
I think the root cause of your problem is that you wanted to go to Annapolis!

I'm getting the same treatment from the happy staff at USMA's Five-Star Inn. It's also a poignant reminder on where retirees rank in the heirarchy. That priority is the way things should be, but rudeness doesn't need to be part of the package.

FWIW I sent an e-mail to NFCU about their ATM database. Two days later I got a phone call from the Pearl Harbor branch with their secret back-channel direct phone number, and the database has been fixed. It was almost rewarding enough to make me think about moving a PenFed CD or two back in their direction. Almost...

redduck said:
It's gone.

Way to blow a golden opportunity. We could have set you up across the border in Pskov with your own harem and a river of vodka, but hey, to each his own I guess. ;)

My story is that Vanguard double counted an electronic transfer (through Pershing I think) of a simple IRA I did last year. It wasn't a big account ($70k) but for six weeks the account records showed $140k being transferred. I even got one written statement with the mistake included. I never said a word just to see when they'd finally spot it, and they never called when they finally figured it out. It does make you think twice about all these electronic records :p

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom