Last day at work today

Jackson D

Dryer sheet aficionado
Woke up at 5:00AM today thinking about what comes next. I've been planning ER for many years and it officially starts tomorrow. I basically started working at age 13 and feel like I am 13 again because now I can do whatever I want to and the possibilities are endless. I used to have a dog that loved chasing tennis balls that I would throw. He would run out ahead and at times I had to hold him back to let the ball get farther away. He would just be trembling with excitement waiting for me to let him go and when I did he was off like a rocket doing one of the things he loved best.

That is how I feel today,

Jackson

Congratulations--I have two friends who both retired within the last 3 months and they both couldn't wait for that last day. Sounds like you made it and now can enjoy your life. It would be cool to have that clean break like you have but I am enjoying my slow slide into retirement. Congratulations and run after that ball now! :dance:

Congrats, Jackson! Welcome to the club!

Congrats and welcome to the class of 2012:dance:

Hey Jackson, congratulations on your upcoming retirement. Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of your life. Best wishes for good health and a long retirement.

I would like to join the others with, best wishes for you ER.:dance:

Congratulations, Jackson! Hope your last day at w*** is a great one. We KNOW tomorrow will be wonderful! :D

Congratulations on one of life's true milestones. I remember the thoughts that went through my mind on my last day, a little overwhelming and exciting. Enjoy the day, and especially the days after...

Congratulations.....take the rest of the day off!!!

Actually I am curious if Jackson did this--both the people I mentioned in my post above went in for their last day, but both were gone about an hour after they went in. At that stage what is anyone going to say? Your fired? They had nothing to do as all their work had been transferred to their replacements, so they went in, stopped by and said goodbye to everyone and left. Sounds about right to me!

Actually I am curious if Jackson did this--both the people I mentioned in my post above went in for their last day, but both were gone about an hour after they went in. At that stage what is anyone going to say? Your fired? They had nothing to do as all their work had been transferred to their replacements, so they went in, stopped by and said goodbye to everyone and left. Sounds about right to me!
I left about 2pm on my last day. I could have left whenever I wanted, but I used that morning to thank (select) folks one on one. Had a dinner with my 8 favorite employees the night before, and others took me to lunch my last day. Cake in the conf room about 1:30pm, short thank you/good luck speech, general goodbyes and out the door for the last time.

I am jealous...but also very genuinely happy for you. Congratulations and enjoy your retirement!

I am envious, too.
Congratulations... Hope to joining you and the others in early retirement in the next few years.

Congratulations!!! I remember that last day well-after the obligatory cake and brief farewell DW and I headed to our favorite pub. The beer never tasted better! Enjoy Jackson it is an unbelievable feeling and a great accomplishment.

Last day

I had already checked out on all HR related items and retirement party was already done so instead of going in and leaving at noon, I went for a nice bike ride with my wife and went in at 1:00. A few good byes and a couple of emails later I walked out the door a free man at 3:00. The best part was being asked to come to the monthly staff meeting this evening one last time which runs from 5:30 to infinity. I just laughed and my administrator laughed with me because I am sure she wishes she didn't have to go either. Off to dinner in awhile with friends and then it is time to go chase some tennis balls.

Jackson

Congratulations, Jackson D. Enjoy chasing those tennis balls!:)

I add my congrats as well, Jackson. Your story reminds me of my not-so-distant retirement (coming up on 7 years now). If I could offer one piece of advice (make it a suggestion): Don't wait to start "living" your retirement dream. Start right away. The days and years will slip by so quickly it will make your head spin (as you look in the rear-view mirror of life). Go for it because YMMV.:cool:

Back
Top Bottom