Last Day of Work Today

xyz

Recycles dryer sheets
Today started as so many have before. Up at 3:45 shave/brush teeth.. check.
Suit up for a run this morning. Here in the northeast dressing to exercise outside is quite a chore.
I wear two shirts and a nylon shell, long running tights, sock liners, socks, glove liners and gloves.
A quick 3 mile run is all I am up to as I am still weary from the change of pace over the holiday.
It felt good after the first mile, it always does. When I am done I always feel good about myself and will do so for the day.
Quick check of the weather, take a shower and time to wake up DW as she drives me to the
train station at 5:50 every day for the past 12 years.

Of course we had to scrape the windshield of the car before we left,
a great reminder of what I am going to leave behind.
The train arrives at the station on time as it usually does, none of the regulars are here today.
Everyone always takes this week off. So I take my seat by myself,
no friends nearby to wish me well, they have already.

Reaching the train station I take the underground bus which lets me off across the street
from the building our office is in. In the elevator press lucky 13
the floor we are on.

Entering the office for the last time I arrive at 7:00 and as usual there is no one here except the cafeteria staff.
My office is empty, I have been cleaning it out for months..
Nothing really to bring home.

Nothing really to do here as everyone is out so I update my spreadsheet I have
been keeping for 5 years and cross out the last day on the calendar.

It’s over, I’m done with all the planning and it is time to put this new life into action.

Just a quick visit to the HR department to drop off my badge and cel phone and
I am no longer an employee of this company I have been a part of for 23 years.
The work was always challenging, the rewards were very good.

There have been some really great times, golfing in Bordeaux, hiking in Colorado,
riding the bum boats in Singapore, touring Melbourne, shopping in Shanghai the
list goes on and on..

Twenty three years is a long time for anything, in reality I have been doing this type
of work since I was 21 so it’s really 35 years.
Three wonderful children, a divorce, a second marriage it all has gone by so fast.

The last year has been difficult as my wife had open heart surgery followed by a
second less serious but nearly as difficult procedure 3 months later.

One thing I have learned as I have grown older is to realize how significant these
life changing events are and what a huge decision I have just made.

My life will change now, I hope for the better.

I have been a member of this forum for almost 5 years now, I want to thank all the regulars
for their sage advice, I may not have posted very much but I have visited almost every day
I truly enjoy this site.

Congratulations! It is strange to walk out that door for the last time. I was so happy not to have to go back. Six months later I am still happy. There is an adjustment period I think when you stop working. I am not through it yet myself. No regrets, just figuring out what I want to do now. Mostly that has been nothing.:dance:

Nice report to bring your working years to a close. Good luck and best wishes in your retirement.

What a great post!

I get tired of trite or combative comments here, but yours is refreshing. Enjoy your last day and the days ahead.

Nice post, and congrats & best of luck on the next chapter, make it a great one!

Congratulations! Be interested to hear your feelings after you walk out the door for the last time and get off the train for the last time.

Welcome to the first day of the rest of your life! :dance:

I did not author the following passage, posted on this forum years ago. However I believe (and has been the case in my life, after 5+ years of retirement) the words truly reflect what retirement is all about:

"It's not the beginning of the end.....it's the end of the beginning....only the end of one single chapter in life......there are many more chapters yet to be written....by you! You are you now, and you will continue to be you after retiring. The only major difference will be that you no longer will have a job to clutter or clog your mind and/or life! You'll no longer have to meet someone else's standards.....you get to set your own standards, and achieve whatever you want to achieve.

Your job is not who you are, it's merely been a means to reach the beginning of a new chapter in your life.....the beginning of a new journey.

It's like you drive to the airport....but the airport isn't your destination. At the airport you board a plane....but the plane isn't your destination. The plane drops you off in some port city.....but that port city isn't your destination. In the port city you hop aboard a cruise ship.....but the cruise ship isn't your destination. The cruise ship take you to some tropical paradise......and it can go on and on and on, limited only by your desires and your imagination. Each step is just a tiny piece of puzzle of your life's journey. As you keep pressing forward, the past will gradually fade into the distance.....not necessarily forgotten, but rather just not as important as the present. I remember the past, but I don't live there....and I look forward to the future, but I haven't reached it yet....so I just live each moment for all it's worth, and life is great!

I've had friends who've asked me, "So what's retirement like?" My answer to them is, "Remember when you were a little kid.....before the big people sent you to kindergarten? Remember those seemingly endless days of play? Those days when you got up and ate breakfast, then went out to play? Then you'd come in for lunch and a nap, and then go back out to play until supper time? Then after supper you'd go out to play until dark or until bedtime....whichever you could get away with? Then you'd start all over the next day? Well, that's what retirement is like!!!"

No need to fear....come on in! The water's great!!!"

Excellent summary of the last day. I'm so ready to experience the same thing. I don't think it will happen until the class of '14 though, unless MegaCorp has other ideas.

Congrats on achieving your goal. It is posts like yours (and this forum in general) that keep me focused and motivated to achieve my own ER by age 52, 6.5 years from now.

Quick check of the weather, take a shower and time to wake up DW as she drives me to the
train station at 5:50 every day for the past 12 years.....

Lovely story of your last day of this chapter, and I can picture your DW waiting for you at the train station to start the new chapter of your life together.

Congratulations on reaching your goal. Enjoy your last train ride home today and get started on the rest of your life. I hope your wife's health improves and you are able to do all the things you have planned for your retirement.

Have fun.

Congrats on your retirement! Looks like your had a great ride with your company, but I suspect the next chapter will be even better.

Best of luck.

Mazel tov! You seem to have a very balanced view of life thus far, best wishes for contented RE.

Congratulations on reaching your goal. Enjoy your last train ride home today and get started on the rest of your life. I hope your wife's health improves and you are able to do all the things you have planned for your retirement.

Have fun.

+1

Congratulations! It makes we want to join the "retired" class even more!

Congratulations! Be interested to hear your feelings after you walk out the door for the last time and get off the train for the last time.

Me, too. I remember all of the "lasts" on my final day at work (after 23 years, just like the OP), especially on the train ride home. I had to hold back tears as the train pulled into my home station and I began my short walk home. My knees were wobbly but when I walked through my apartment door, I through down my bag of personal items and yelled, "I'm FREE!"

Other parts of my return trip home were strange, too. The last elevator ride down already had me getting watery eyes. I had to leave my ID badge with the security station because nobody went with me down to the lobby. And the turnstile at the PATH train took my fare card because it was the last one left on it (an occasional event but I timed it to happen on my last day, too).

Congrats to you, xyz, in your retirement. And I hope your wife is doing well.

Great post. It should be mandatory for everyone retiring to tell us about the last day. Its good motivation!

Fantastic post. I enjoyed reading it. Please continue to keep us updated. I'm looking forward of reading about your journey through your 'endless summer' !

Congrats on your freedom from the daily shackles that have been part of your life for the past 35 years! I can't wait to get there myself. :)

Congratulations, xyz!

Yes, the best is yet to be.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom