Life and health insurance... buy online?

Gearhead

Dryer sheet wannabe
Where did you buy your life and health insurance, from a local agent or online? I've been doing some preliminary surfing online and it's a daunting experience.

You might get some quotes online, but I think that a good independent agent may be helpful in steering you through the morass. Plus if you have any health issues at all the agent can be very helpful.

I bought mine online -- I was so green I didn't know about independent agents for individuals. It was an awful experience even without any health issues at all.

I'd definitely go with an agent.

Health insurance I have through my former employer, but life insurance I bought online. I used insure.com and got quotes, then picked through them and chose an insurer that I had (have) confidence in, and got my policy. Not sure which route I'd take if I had to shop for a health insurance policy....probably shop both online as well as local agents....then flip a coin.

We get life insurance through DH's professional organization. This is fine as long as we remember to pay his professional dues each year. But we got amazing rates, and didn't need to use an agent.

We'd probably do the same for health insurance if we didn't already get an amazing deal through his employer.

I am pretty sure you can buy term online. If you want Whole Life or UL.. you may need to go through an Agent.

IMO - I would buy term if I were in the market for Life Insurance.

The biggest question is: how much life insurance do you need? And how much are you willing to pay. Balancing out those two will provide you some key insight.

Personally, I would only buy Life Insurance from a Triple A company (rated tops by 2 or more rating agencies) that has strong net worth and is conservative. Life insurance is a long-term contract... you will want a company that can last.

Back
Top Bottom