Lifetime learning institutes

Rich_by_the_Bay

Moderator Emeritus
There is a group called the Osher Lfetime Learning Institute which sponsors "senior" educational courses and lectures often in conjunction with affiliated local university faculty. I've gotten fairly active with them, including taking courses in Chinese Civilization, Ted Bundy, Humanism, civil war, and New Guinea through a biologist's eyes. Highly recommended if you have an affiliate nearby.

A few weeks ago they asked me to organize (volunteering) a health care-related series of lectures. I had in mind a format where the first half I'd give a brief lecture (keeping it interactive, topics like prostate screening) and the second half would address questions submitted via email in advance (anonymous to the group). To keep it light, I'd throw in humorous but instructive pop quizes (e.g. anatomy: quick, put your finger on your glabella; point to your spleen, squeeze your medial malleolus) which has worked very well for me in similar nontechnical teaching scenarios -- lots of laughs.

Any suggestions, must-do lecture topics, cautions or whatever - all appreciated. I am looking forward to this.

Any suggestions, must-do lecture topics, cautions or whatever - all appreciated. I am looking forward to this.
I've found your posts about the utility (or not) of various medical screening procedures to be interesting. It's a subject that comes up more and more "as we get older," and it might be worth a short blurb just to explain why the experts have changed their recommendations on the advisability/frequency of various tests.

I' can't think of any must cover topics you wouldn't likely hit (dementia, osteoporosis, prostate health, DNRs advanced directives, LTC...). But on a side note, if you took a course on New Guinea you might find Lost in Shangri La interesting. It is a true story about the rescue of a WAC and two men who were in a plane that crashed in a "lost" valley in New Guinea in WWII. Great adventure story and an interesting look at cultural miscues in both directions.

Sounds like a great idea for a course. I suggest throwing in lots of interesting anecdotes of things that happened in the hospital or during your years of practice.

No suggestions, but your humorous / instructive pop quiz idea sounds like one that would appeal greatly to a diverse audience. I know I would enjoy it.

A few weeks ago they asked me to organize (volunteering) a health care-related series of lectures. I had in mind a format where the first half I'd give a brief lecture (keeping it interactive, topics like prostate screening) and the second half would address questions submitted via email in advance (anonymous to the group). To keep it light, I'd throw in humorous but instructive pop quizes (e.g. anatomy: quick, put your finger on your glabella; point to your spleen, squeeze your medial malleolus) which has worked very well for me in similar nontechnical teaching scenarios -- lots of laughs.
It sounds pretty much like what you've been doing here for the last five years-- are you thinking of starting a teaching gig again?

Of course it's different from the board because you're doing it in person, and it might involve biohazard containers. But seriously, you could mine your old threads & posts for material.

Colonoscopies would probably be a perpetual favorite.

Cool! This sounds like a lot of fun, Rich. Are you volunteering your time? As with any adult learning opportunity, the adults will be there partly to build on their own experience. Learner participation is important. One risk is the person with a chronic problem or one bad healthcare experience who has an agenda and uses it to take over the class. An experienced teacher like you will know the importance of keeping the class on theme.

Have fun!

It sounds pretty much like what you've been doing here for the last five years-- are you thinking of starting a teaching gig again?
All this is as a volunteer, just for fun and just a couple of hours a month. The group is over 65-70 in age on average, I'd guess. And very feisty and smart.

These volunteer gigs have given me a great deal of satisfaction, require a limited amount of work and I can, of course, opt out any time I want.

To keep it light, I'd throw in humorous but instructive pop quizes (e.g. anatomy: quick, put your finger on your glabella; point to your spleen, squeeze your medial malleolus) which has worked very well for me in similar nontechnical teaching scenarios -- lots of laughs.

Well now....:cool: (...and no, I didn't look them up. I prefer to leave it to my imagination.)

Topics...maybe OTC drugs/vitamins, the 'noise' on the internet, how to safeguard homes from causing injuries...

Back
Top Bottom