Osher Lifelong Learning Institute

jaybones

Dryer sheet wannabe
I just retired and we moved to Charlottesville, VA. I was looking around the web to see what was available to do in town. I found the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute. They offer 6 week classes taught by retired college faculty at various colleges. You can take up to 12 credits a semester and they only charge $100 a semester, at least at UVa. I don't know how good this program is, but they are apparently all over the country and the price is right. You can find if they are in your neighborhood by going to this website: www.osherfoundation.org

If anyone has any experience with this organization, I would love to hear your reaction.

Interesting. They have branches at American University and the University of Maryland, both near me.

They have 3 locations here in the Seattle area sponsored by the University of Washington. Cost is $120 members plus $5 or $10 per class. They offer 8-10 classes per quarter, three times a year. Some are 6 weeks, others are shorter.

I took one class and the instructor was excellent.

There is another retiree education non-profit group sponsored by Bellevue College that offers similar classes. You don't pay a membership fee, classes are 8 weeks, and generally run $55-$65 per class. Instructors are good to excellant, depending on the subject. I'm currently taking a geology class run by a former president of the local geology society.

In the long run, I've found the Bellevue classes (called TELOS) to be the better value.

Bottom-line: look into your local community college for classes run for retirees, or discounts on tuition if you are over 65 (I have a friend who was auditing college French at the local cc for $5 plus books).

-- Rita

Thanks for the tip. Nothing out here in Podunkville but that's the choice I made.
Maybe it is worth a drive into the "big city" once a week?

Free to canoe

I took a financial planning course at the one at SFU near me . It was great . Today I received the winter offerings in the mail and I'm considering a writer's course . It is $65 per course and they also have lots of free lectures you can attend . Also for people living in Florida Publix supermarkets has a cooking school . The prices vary depending on the course and the instructor . They have gotten Paula Deene and several of the food network chefs . It is a great way to spend an evening . Some courses are hands on and some are demonstration only . The all include testing the recipes (eating ) at the end of the class with wine sipping . I've taken several courses and it is always well worth the price .Plus I usually come home with a few new recipes .

The "Osher" you are referring to is the "Bernard Osher Foundation". They provide grants to many Life Long Learning Institutes (LLI's). When an LLI receives a grant they must use the "Osher" name as part of their own. There are many Osher LLI's throughout the country.

However, there are many, many LLI's that are not affiliated with Osher. I have been a member of an LLI since I retired 4 years ago and I am currently the President of the Board of Directors for it. Being a member in our LLI has definitely enhanced the quality of my retirement. Two years ago we sponsored an LLI conference and had representatives from LLI's all over the country, and even Canada, in attendance.

Many LLI's can be found at the Elderhostel web site. That's how I found the one I am in. Below is the link to the Elderhostel Institute Network. Click on the green map of the USA to find the one's in your state. There is also a lot more information on LLI's on this site.

Exploritas : Welcome to the Elderhostel Institute Network

I have taken several classes through OLLI. They have ranged from a financial course to Tai Chi. The last class that I took was a beginning Bridge class and some of us are continuing to meet and play bridge after the class ended. We pay $65.00 per year and can take as many classes as we want throughout the year. I have enjoyed taking the classes in retirement and will probably start taking a lot more classes, since my granddaughter moved across the country. I also took a day trip with them to Gettysburg and had a good time.

Back
Top Bottom