List your most effective expense saving moves

Good for you, Nash! My DH is mighty handy with cars and knows his way around the pick and pull, too!

So satisfying to figure the problems it and seems there is a YouTube video available for every repair. He also uses the various forums for specific cars to help diagnose stuff.

I believe the question pertains to post-FIRE, when, hopefully, things like getting married to a like minded person, educating kids economically, and maxing out savings accounts are all been-there, done-that items.

The benefit of minding the small things in FIRE, for us at least, is that the monies freed up can be directed elsewhere as we see fit. We have bumped up several budget lines over the years through efficiency achieved elsewhere, most notably our travel line. And our stockpile of boutique wine and craft beers which we categorize under 'Entertainment.' :)

Yes, ElizabethT! This is exactly what I had in mind when I posted the opening thread. I LBMM, married right, didn't divorce, was lucky with jobs, and learned as much as possible about smart money moves before FIRE. But I didn't have time to research the small stuff, and since I was able to save despite not always doing the cheapest thing, I didn't worry about it. Now I'm making time to find ways to maintain my lifestyle more frugally. And I'm turning to the experts - That's all of you FIRE folks - for advice about how to do that.

Great job Nash. I've been maintaining our cars as long as I can remember (and that's a long time). I even considered installing a lift in our garage but DW nixed the idea.:mad:

I even have my daughter trained to do simple car maintenance and she has quite a good garage full of tools. Being "handy" can lead you to maintaining appliances and other home contraptions. Plus you can save a good bit of money as you found out.

I have decided the best way to cut expenses is to give my wife a vacation to Rome for our 25 wedding aniversity, but then my pastor said what are you going to do on my 50th wedding aniversity I said go visit my wife.

My DIY skills have saved me countless money over the years.

It also helps to know the right people. I have an extensive network of family and friends who all enjoy helping each other, and we all benefit from other people's skills. I helped a friend shingle his garage...he did some body work on my car. I helped another friend build a deck...he mudded the drywall in my basement. My brother helped me build a garage...I helped him build a sunroom, etc.

Most effective savings move?

Switching to a passively managed portfolio of index funds with no 'financial adviser' attached. That got rid of a huge 'invisible' expense.

So satisfying to figure the problems it and seems there is a YouTube video available for every repair. He also uses the various forums for specific cars to help diagnose stuff.

Totally. The IACV and throttle body work was entirely done via Google and YouTube. I don't think any of this stuff is really terribly hard, but just getting under the hood can be intimidating. I've found cracking the code on these problems is, as you said, extremely satisfying (and saves money, too!)

Totally. The IACV and throttle body work was entirely done via Google and YouTube. I don't think any of this stuff is really terribly hard, but just getting under the hood can be intimidating. I've found cracking the code on these problems is, as you said, extremely satisfying (and saves money, too!)
I replaced the vehicle speed sensor (VSS) on my Honda a while back. There was a great YouTube video that some saint had made and posted that showed some tricks which made the whole thing simple. I wouldn't have tried the repair without the online guidance.

The two cats we've rescued over the past 10 months have reduced the need for our arguably-bourgeoisie monthly Paratex small rodent pest control service. Granted, the cats are still underwater when you factor in their food & pet insurance, but $60/mo cost reduction is better than our dogs or young kids are pulling. Good kitties :)

Back
Top Bottom