LOL: Why I quit my job to travel

Focus

Full time employment: Posting here.
A little ER humor...

Why I Quit My Job to Travel the World - The New Yorker

On paper, my life seemed great. I had a dream job, a swanky apartment, and a loving girlfriend. But something was off. I couldn’t bear being chained to my desk in a stuffy office any longer. So I decided to quit and travel the world, bringing only my passport, a small backpack, and my enormous trust fund.

LOL! So the burning question is.........why was he ever chained to a desk!?!

I wonder what his girlfriend thought!!!

I had a friend many years ago... was in the Navy... but when he got out was living in California... was living with a lady who had a young kid (not his)... I think he was with her two years or so....

One day he said F it and while she was at work packed up everything he could get into his car, put the rest on the driveway and lite it on fire!!! Then drove back to Texas... never did tell the lady he was leaving or had left... I always thought he was an ahole for doing that...

Ya. Hate to see that with a young kid involved in the household...even if not his... what a selfish pr1ck.

My college fraternity brother went to Hawaii in 1977. And he's never been back to the mainland. We visited him last year.

And he hasn't had a pair of shoes on since 1977--wearing flip flops all the time.

Ever see a 68 year old surfer boy? It's not a really pretty picture except that he's very, very happy with his life.

He didn't mention the blog income to supplement his meager $60k/mo income.

:ROFLMAO:

Thanks for the laugh - a much needed antidote from all the blogtirements lately.

My college fraternity brother went to Hawaii in 1977. And he's never been back to the mainland. We visited him last year.

And he hasn't had a pair of shoes on since 1977--wearing flip flops all the time.

Ever see a 68 year old surfer boy? It's not a really pretty picture except that he's very, very happy with his life.

Here in San Diego I see a lot of aging surfers.... Old Guys Rule is their motto. Most surfers are pretty fit - even as they age... IMO, not a bad look.

And what's wrong with exclusively wearing flip flops? That's my lifestyle and footwear choice. LOL.

I did a search for Joe Veix and his Twitter popped up, including this recent tweet from him:

"a bunch of people think the 'quit my job' piece was serious and are emailing me asking for travel tips"

Funny guy, funny article.

Why I Quit My Job to Travel

Small backpack? - check
Passport? - check
Enormous trust fund? - if only.....

I did a search for Joe Veix and his Twitter popped up, including this recent tweet from him:

"a bunch of people think the 'quit my job' piece was serious and are emailing me asking for travel tips"

Some folks here reacted to the quote I highlighted. I'm not sure they clicked through and realized it's a piece of very funny fiction.

Here's another quote:

As a citizen of the world, I rarely get lonely. Everywhere I go, I meet such diverse groups of people. In hostels, I’ve shared beers with friendly British and Australian twenty-somethings. In hotels, I’ve sipped wine with friendly British and Australian forty-somethings. We all became lifelong friends, despite the language barriers.

:LOL:

Last edited:
Small backpack? - check Passport? - check Enormous trust fund? - if only.....

But if one were to set out to travel with only a passport and a backpack, one no doubt would have an awfully large fund of trust in people and the world.

-BB

I guess I don't see the humor in this piece. I retired almost 5 years ago and I spend about 40% of my time traveling, mostly internationally. I'm writing this post from a burger joint in Reykjavik, Iceland. It's great. I just spent over a month on the continent in Germany and France. It was awesome. I've been all over the world, like a dream come true. Sometimes I travel with my girlfriend, but usually I am on my own. Sometimes I get lonely on my travels, but there are always new people to connect with (when I feel like it) and always another interesting place to visit. It's always - and I mean ALWAYS - better than the years I spent at work, pretending my way through tiresome conference calls and dopey meetings.

So I'm basically living the life described in that New Yorker piece, and I'm loving it. But I assume the article was supposed to be funny. What am I missing?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Sounds like a nice lifestyle but the guy's clearly not retired since he still has to write for a magazine for a living. Good luck when you're 60 and broke buddy.

Sounds like a nice lifestyle but the guy's clearly not retired since he still has to write for a magazine for a living. Good luck when you're 60 and broke buddy.

What about the "enormous trust fund"? :D Oh wait, that was a joke I guess (see Bestwifeever's post quoted below). So, I agree, he's going to be up a creek when he finds out he's broke.

He also indicates that he is not paying for health insurance. I sure hope he doesn't find out that he is riddled with cancer, one of these days. :(

Last edited:
What about the "enormous trust fund"? :D Oh wait, that was a joke I guess (see Bestwifeever's post quoted below). So, I agree, he's going to be up a creek when he finds out he's broke.

Even with the trust fund, he's clearly still working so must need the money. Therefore not retired. :D

Back
Top Bottom