Looking for Ideas on Where to Live in Retirement

Might be helpful if the OP piped up about which ideas they liked and which they didn't. Not sure if they've even read any of the responses.

Get on Zillow and see what you can get in zip code 72714 or 72715. 1/3 acre trees lots, 7 lakes, 6 golf courses, bike trails (thanks to Walton’s) nearby Bentonville amenities - Crystal Bridges Art, health care close (Rogers). Great music, art, craft beer scene all wrapped up in the Ozarks. Best kept secret...until now :)

But don't think that these are Sadie Hawkins days in the Ozarks. Walmart, their suppliers and Tyson Chicken have made Northwest Arkansas one of the fastest growing places in the country with 400,000 people in Rogers, Bentonville and Fayetteville's counties.

But with culture the university brings, more culture than most people realize and incredible lakes, Northwest Arkansas is somewhat of a secret place often overlooked. It and Springfield, MO are great retirement places if you like a mid size city.

...based on the original criteria by the OP I would probably think that a place in central TN might fit, something like either Murfreesburo (home of MTSU) {or nearby Smyrna, which is closer to Nashville} or Clarksville (which is more remote but is home of Austin Peay Univ).... they’re close enough to Nashville for higher medical but should be much lower cost places to live and have recreational activities available either in the area or due to the local university. Either would have more than enough rain to support the gardens but don’t have the higher snowfall of the midwest nor the stifling heat of farther south. Tennessee also ranks fairly high on tax-friendly states for retirees, as well.

Middle Tennessee is a great place to live, but Metropolitan Nashville's home prices have doubled and tripled in recent years to the point of unaffordability. And apartments have a 92% occupancy ratio--and are just not that nice. Housing is not expected to improve with 5000 new jobs coming to Amazon's new office hub in downtown Nashville.

Murfreesboro is a great college town, but it's getting to the point where affordable housing is about 50 miles from the center of Nashville--out in the country--in any direction. But the green, lush hills in that area are of breathtaking beauty.

OMG, that sounds horrible!

It was awful! :LOL: I didn't even see a doctor because it was my first day in the state, and I didn't know where to go.

It sure taught me about fire ants. We have them here, too, but they just don't seem as aggressive as they were in Texas. I don't even think I have been bit by a fire ant once during my 22 years in Louisiana.

LOL. Yes, I pick the ONE DAY in probably ten months that you happen to have snow on the ground to say you won't get any. Bet it's gone by tomorrow.

That area of Arkansas is interesting to me. It's on my radar for retirement (as is OK City) One thing I worry about is the humidity in the summer. The other is a relative lack of medical facilities. Comments on the mugginess and medical facilities?

Yes, there is a fair amount of humidity in the summer, but we have refrigerated air now :).

Mercy has many smaller clinics in the area and most with major procedures go to Rogers, AR (20 minutes S), Springfield, MO (2 hours NE) or Joplin, MO (1 hour N)

As others have said, WalMart, Tysons and others have brought the services with them and have continued to add to encourage younger talent to move to the area. It has become very much an outdoors oriented area.

Look at homes on Central Ave in downtown Bentonville, $600-700k plus, unbelievable what is going on with real estate there. Everyone wants to live near the Square. The Walton grandkids are heavy into the restaurant (Ropeswing) scene and higher density real estate, some neat stuff going on (expensive though). BV is well positioned 20 min to the North, with much lower cost of housing and still connected to 40 miles of hiking/biking trails, all the way down to Fayetteville.

Last edited:
The Walla Walla suggestion isn't bad.....if I had to move back to WA, that would be the first place I would look at.

What's not to like :)

Ozark beauty

Attachments

• Backyard snow.jpg
    Backyard snow.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 47
  • sunset.jpg
    sunset.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 246
  • rayburn 3.jpg
    rayburn 3.jpg
    361 KB · Views: 44
Seguin Texas Low population, about 30,000

Are you suggesting large cities of 30,000 people?

Or 'low population' towns?

Hmmmm....some on the ground right now :)

Enough to run snowsleds on?

When the rivers freeze-over can you run your snowsled out across the river? How about your car?

:)

Big issue for me is what kind of people live around me. Are they all lifetime residents who shun newcomers, or are they former city dwellers lobbying to increase amenities which will result in tax increases? Is it the type of place where owners have packs of pitbulls guarding their property? Are the locals out in force during hunting season, and how do I feel about that. Do I want to use my ATV/snowmobile but my neighbours will sign a petition against me. Is it all picturesque farms that rely heavily on manuring in the spring. Gotta look beneath the surface.

What’s a snowsled and why would you drive your car on a lake
To get to the other side! Or go fishing in the middle.

Make sure it's really frozen cause sometimes your car or snowsled sinks.

Thanks for that.

As a kid my DF and I fished off the shore of Wolfe Island, Ontario. We would take a ferry from Cape Vincent, New York or Kingston, Ontario to get on the island. There was a kid there about my age and I remember him telling me about the ferries couldn't run in the winter and they just drove to Kingston across the St. Lawrence. He said they lost a couple cars every year(it had to be a couple miles across). [emoji111]

Maybe that's the place?

The most important factor, IMHO, is where do the people who are important to you live - or more accurately where do the people for whom you are important live. Usually, that is family. As we age friends and acquaintances are less a factor in our lives.

The next most important is the availability of health care providers. Living in the country is great... until you develop a serious health condition or transportation is an issue.

Then there is lifestyle: activities that you enjoy. Maybe you are active in a particular religious denomination... can you find like-minded congregations. Perhaps you enjoy music or the theater. Hiking, camping, fishing ... I would add community culture. Some communities are outgoing and inclusive, others more reticent.

Weather is a factor for many. I can't tolerate mosquitoes (can never live in the UP). For many the cold and snow makes them home-bound. Others can't abide hot weather or high humidity.

There are cost of living issues where taxes are but one factor in this analysis. Usually, the cost of housing is a major factor. Even in communities regarded as expensive, you can find something suitable if you look long enough and are willing to be flexible.

LOL, Georgia is in the midwest? I've never considered TN or KY there either. Anyway, that seems like the right area. Throw northern MS and AL, and AR in there as well. You can find trees in IA, KS, NE, etc, especially closer to rivers, but you have to look harder. Taxes may throw some states out but look at overall costs. If you pay $1K/yr more in taxes but $50K less for the house/land you want, you come out ahead.

Being a nearly lifelong Iowa resident, there are more trees here than you think, but it doesn't meet the requirements for low property or income taxes. One of the highest for income tax and pretty high property taxes in many areas. I love Iowa, but I am gone when I retire in a few short years.

Try taking a drive west from Roswell, New Mexico, a popular retirement town of about 48,000, through the Hondo Valley until you reach Ruidoso. Do this in early October, and you will fall in love with that part of New Mexico.

I'm going to jump in here. I want to downsize from a 4 bedroom, 2000+ sq ft house in a high COL Chicago suburb. I have deep roots in my area, but I can reduce costs by going smaller and across local town borders.

I also dream of the snowbird life. I'm leaning toward a smallish (1300 sq. ft.) condo in a walkable/public transportation area in the Chicago area and plan to either RV travel or rent during the worst weather seasons.

Finding this perfect fit is the challenge.

I could easily live in the North Georgia mountain town of Hiawasse--10 miles south of the NC border. The county has about 8,000 population, and it's located on islands in the middle of Lake Chatuge. Hiawasse is at the northern base of Brasstown Bald, the highest point in the state.

To the west (over the mountain) is the town of Young Harris, and there is a small 2 year Methodist college there. I would love to live up on the mountain overlooking the valley and the Brasstown Resort golf course.

Life is simple, and people just so nice in the North Georgia mountains. And it's a world apart from those big cities I now loathe.

Have you looked into Idaho- Boise is a crazy great place . Nearby areas fit your description .

Greetings,

We were in a similar frame of mind pre-retirement. We looked extensively in Alaska: Soldotna, Seward, and Homer. Pretty much zero taxes and all the trees you could ever want! A couple hour drive or short train/flight to the big city Anchorage as needed. Plus a huge military/VA presence in Anchorage if that is of value to you.

We’re still in Germany but haven’t eliminated Alaska as a return option!

JQ

Back
Top Bottom