Join Early Retirement Today

Medicare for overseas retirees
Old 11-05-2019, 01:46 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Medicare for overseas retirees

I know that Medicare doesnít cover overseas but my question is somewhat different: we live in the UK and donít have immediate plans to move back to the Us. But you never know! My wife is going to start taking SS this December. Her question is whether to sign up for Medicare part B even though she canít see any immediate use for it simply to avoid penalties if we ever did move back. My view is ďnoĒ - pocket the savings and use that to cover the fees if we ever did go back. Are there other overseas retirees on the board whoíve made this decision? What did you decide? Thanks.

Dd852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2019, 08:05 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm also retired in the UK.

The decision is very much dependant on individual future plans. I don't plan on returning to the US so elected not to take Part B. Future travel to the US would be infrequent, if at all. The cost of travel insurance does double if a US destination is included, but nonetheless, insurance would seem to be a long term less expensive option for those not intending to return to the US permanently.

As you point out, if you do not opt for Plan B and at a later date do return to the US permanently, the then cost of Plan B carries a penalty for each year you elected not to take it.

Never say never, so if I did end up permanently in the US sometime in the future it could be costly. Unfortunately, I seem to have misplaced my crystal ball.

theOAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 01:31 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I helped a relative sign up for Medicare Part B spring of last year...because of limited finances they delayed signing up for over 5 years until they fell ill.

So it ended up more expensive, but paying the penalty is not the end of the world.

Just remember it doesn't take effect until July 1 even if you signup January 1.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote