Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-25-2008, 10:48 AM   #61
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
When you choose a house, evaluate the distance of the drive to town. We are 30 minutes from the closest town over 30,000, and that can be pretty inconvenient sometimes. If you need to be in town in the morning and in the evening, for example, you're spending two hours on the road.
Thanks - - good observation. If we move to Springfield (tentatively!) I am planning for my ER house to be inside the Springfield city limits, within walking distance of stores and so on. I have a couple of great neighborhoods tentatively in mind, though I will know more after I am living in a rental up there, after ER. The neighborhoods that I like are not too far inside the city limits but are near larger streets where grocery stores, hospitals, big box stores, and other stores are located. There is no way a city girl like me could be happy with a septic tank and cows. I want infrastructure and Cable TV/internet, which are available in Springfield.

So far, Frank has acted like he wants to buy a house close to mine, maybe even on the same block. So, despite his inclinations, I think he will end up with a house in town. I am strongly encouraging such sentiments, pointing out the advantages of city police and fire protection, city water and sewers, nearby hospitals, and more.

He could surprise me, though! He wants to be someplace where he can set up a ham radio tower without scandalizing the neighbors, so I expect he will be checking with the local ham club about various areas, building codes, and so on. Either way, he also wants to spend a day or two now and then alone on an isolated remote hilltop somewhere, playing with his portable ham radio. We will need to look for various parks where he could legally camp and do that, if he decides to live in town.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2008, 11:21 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

what's that phrase: you can't judge the future based on past performance or something like that?

after 4 hurricanes hit florida in 2005 with two of them passed directly over my house (katrina as a baby but wilma knocked our lights out), i wanted to run away from hurricaneville. the following season made me very nervous to be here but i was more relaxed in 2007. going into 2008 i'm considering moving to a cheaper location of florida and i would even move to another coastal area here.

what are the odds of another four-hurricane season? and while stronger hurricanes are predicted due to--for another few years--its normal cycle as well as, generally, global warming, who is to say that global warming will not disrupt historic hurricane tracks. maybe the northeast will get them now instead of us or maybe they will just dissipate into the high atlantic. who knows, maybe they will head for springfield.

from what i've read and seen on tv, i imagine that living in new orleans now continues to throw katrina in your face whereas in south florida we have hardly any blue roofs remaining from wilma so the memory, while still there, isn't as traumatic to consider.

and i've just a quick comment on living in a politically conservative area. you're worried about neighbors commenting on your careers but not on your premarital sex? just goes to show there's no accounting for priorities.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:49 AM   #63
Moderator Emeritus

I think Missouri is a really nice state. JPatrick also moved there and he must be having so much fun that he hardly posts here anymore.

My only problem with Missouri would be the summer heat, but that should be nothing for a person from New Orleans. The winter issue I see is the ice storms they seem to get in that part of the country. But they are not likely to kill you. Especially as you can stay in your nice, cozy, inexpensive home.

A fair number of northerners from around here seem to be moving to Missouri or Arkansas when they retire.

I'll come to the virtual house warming.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:57 AM   #64
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
and i've just a quick comment on living in a politically conservative area. you're worried about neighbors commenting on your careers but not on your premarital sex? just goes to show there's no accounting for priorities.
ROFL!!! Touche - - good point.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 02-25-2008, 12:03 PM   #65
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I think Missouri is a really nice state. JPatrick also moved there and he must be having so much fun that he hardly posts here anymore.

My only problem with Missouri would be the summer heat, but that should be nothing for a person from New Orleans. The winter issue I see is the ice storms they seem to get in that part of the country. But they are not likely to kill you. Especially as you can stay in your nice, cozy, inexpensive home.

A fair number of northerners from around here seem to be moving to Missouri or Arkansas when they retire.

I'll come to the virtual house warming.
Great! We may have quite a virtual crowd, but there will be plenty of virtual snack foods to go around.

I agree. The summer heat is bad, but we are used to it. I can stay in my nice, cozy, cheap home during ice storms and light a fire in the fireplace.

And if New Orleans magically recovers to where it was before the storm (not that I am holding my breath) before we can retire and sell our houses, or if the Mother of all Tornados destroys 100,000 homes in Springfield and the surrounding area before we move, then we could always think about just staying put. Even I might get religion at that point.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 02-25-2008, 02:43 PM   #66
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Very true for Illinois folks as well.

In addition to the Minn, Wis, Ill, Mich, Iowa, Ind, folks retiring down there in large numbers, there also seems to be lots of "rebounders." That is, folks who originally retired to traditional spots like Fla or Ariz, got tired of it and are moving to less expensive, four season areas like Mo and Arkansas.

My folks retired in northern Arkansas and we visited regularly to partake of the free baby sitting services while we fished, paddled, hiked and otherwise enjoyed the fabulous outdoor activities there.

BTW, both we and my folks found the predictions of an excessively conservative political and religious climate to be dramatically overstated.

They did get some nasty ice storms and chilly weather, but nothing like Chicago. We often arrived to 50f temps on Christmas visits. July and August were damn hot, sort of like Chicago having an unusally hot summer, but it happens every summer. Spring and fall and long and beautiful.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:56 PM   #67

"BTW, both we and my folks found the predictions of an excessively conservative political and religious climate to be dramatically overstated."

When I moved from the Midwest to CA the only thing I noticed was off the wall prices for homes and well everything. I didnt notice a vast liberal populace. People tend to be "people" where ever you go. At least in my experiences.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:48 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

I have lived in NE Missouri for over 25 years. My son lived in Springfield,MO for two years and then the first town south (Ozark) for two years before having to move to St. Louis for work.

Springfield,MO is a very nice area and I would have probably moved there when grand kids came if he was still there.

Look at some of the small towns just minutes south of the City when you get ready to go.
Also, if you are going for two houses, there are lots of Duplexes in the area that would let you be next door to each other but have your own space.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:10 PM   #69
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
I have lived in NE Missouri for over 25 years. My son lived in Springfield,MO for two years and then the first town south (Ozark) for two years before having to move to St. Louis for work.

Springfield,MO is a very nice area and I would have probably moved there when grand kids came if he was still there.

Look at some of the small towns just minutes south of the City when you get ready to go.
Also, if you are going for two houses, there are lots of Duplexes in the area that would let you be next door to each other but have your own space.
Thanks for the information. I think it is a very nice area, too! We looked at Ozark the last two times we visited, and Nixa the time before that. But, we still like Springfield itself. We are thinking about duplexes, or perhaps it would work better for us to just buy houses that are close together. If we were next door neighbors, we wouldn't have any neighbor problems on that side. I guess we will see what is available that we like, when the time comes.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 02-25-2008, 05:15 PM   #70
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post

Lazy has a good point when I first moved to Florida I was shocked at the prudish attitude towards living together or spending the night !

Also, I am currently in Jamestown,Ny visiting my daughter and it's not the snow so much as the constant grayness that's depressing in winter .
Old 02-25-2008, 05:16 PM   #71

W2R, good luck to you. Sounds like a real adventure...something DW and I would like to do. Once we are back in the states, we plan to keep our home in CA, with the well, septic, and cows/horses next door. We will be doing some RVing and exploring other places that we might like for either a second home or possibly a move sometime down the road. We won't be able to move for at least 4 years after we get back as we try to get the benefits from living in each of our two homes there for a couple years each, in order to qualify for the tax benefits on the sale. But that's OK. Once we are free to roam, we'll just set up household in one for a couple years while roaming around in the RV (and prepping for sale), then set up HH in the other, while continuing to roam.

Gotta stop dreaming of FIRE now and get to w*rk...

R
Old 02-25-2008, 05:32 PM   #72
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
W2R, good luck to you. Sounds like a real adventure...something DW and I would like to do. Once we are back in the states, we plan to keep our home in CA, with the well, septic, and cows/horses next door. We will be doing some RVing and exploring other places that we might like for either a second home or possibly a move sometime down the road. We won't be able to move for at least 4 years after we get back as we try to get the benefits from living in each of our two homes there for a couple years each, in order to qualify for the tax benefits on the sale. But that's OK. Once we are free to roam, we'll just set up household in one for a couple years while roaming around in the RV (and prepping for sale), then set up HH in the other, while continuing to roam.

Gotta stop dreaming of FIRE now and get to w*rk...

R
Thank you, Rambler.

But wells? Septic? cows? RVing? I am glad you are looking forward to these things in ER, though that would not be my dream ER at all. For me, a nice house (that isn't going anywhere or floating away) with city water and sewer (working infrastructure!) on 1/3 acre, peace and quiet, in a walkable neighbood within the city limits would be ideal. I doubt we would leave except for day trips. Maybe once in a while we might spend a weekend in Hot Springs or St. Louis.

Isn't it interesting that few of us have identical dreams, but we all have same goals of living a delightfully happy ER!

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 02-25-2008, 06:48 PM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

W2R,

Have you checked for a coffee house that serves beignets and cafe au lait? These are a few of the things that I miss about NO.

2soon
Old 02-25-2008, 07:22 PM   #74
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2soon2tell View Post
W2R,

Have you checked for a coffee house that serves beignets and cafe au lait? These are a few of the things that I miss about NO.

2soon
So far, Morning Call hasn't set up a branch in Springfield!

Why not order the beignet mix from Cafe Du Monde - Original French Market Coffee Stand New Orleans - Our Beignets and make some yourself? That might ease the pain.

Beignets and cafe au lait are a big part of our lives in New Orleans, but so often we locals must only indulge on special occasions due to the demands of work, fitness, and similar mundane concerns.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 02-25-2008, 07:37 PM   #75

Want2Retire: Have you checked your cities on these?

tornadohistoryprojection/tornado.php? (Tornado history in USA)
hurricanecity.com (click on city ratings at top left of page) (Hurricane history in USA
& Islands)
Old 02-25-2008, 07:45 PM   #76
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Want2Retire: Have you checked your cities on these?

tornadohistoryprojection/tornado.php? (Tornado history in USA)
hurricanecity.com (click on city ratings at top left of page) (Hurricane history in USA
& Islands)
Thanks for the links. Yes, I have researched weather history in Springfield and other towns, but it is always interesting to read more about it. Most of the towns that interest us are subject to tornados. Oh well! C'est la vie. A basement might come in handy when the skies turn yellow-green.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 02-25-2008, 08:23 PM   #77
Dryer sheet wannabe

I'm from Missouri originally. I think Springfield does sound like a good fit; it is a quietish town, and pretty homogeneous (you mentioned "big box" stores). Even though I live in a Midwestern city now, and you wouldn't think it would be too much different, but when I go home to St. Louis, I definitely notice a shift in the mindset. It's pretty subtle, but it's there--families tend to be nuclear, there are far more yellow ribbon magnets on cars, and I find people generally to be much more friendly and neighborly (the flip side to neighborliness, though, is that people tend to be nosy--and it is possible that you will raise some eyebrows and whispers with your living arrangement). You certainly won't get any flak for your service to the country.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:56 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Thank you, Rambler.

But wells? Septic? cows? RVing? I am glad you are looking forward to these things in ER, though that would not be my dream ER at all. For me, a nice house (that isn't going anywhere or floating away) with city water and sewer (working infrastructure!) on 1/3 acre, peace and quiet, in a walkable neighbood within the city limits would be ideal.
The peace and quiet is why we got the 2 acre place, and with the two acres came the need for well and septic. I actually like having my own fresh out of the ground water. You are right though, we all have our own goals and dreams, and those goals and dreams tend to morph over time to blend well with your companion...and your age-related abilities. I know that we won't be able to do the RVing forever, nor will I be able to care for two acres forever, but I enjoy that kind of thing, so want to get to it as soon as I can FIRE. When I can't do that much anymore, perhaps the 1/3 or 1/4 acre in the city limits will probably be what we gravitate to.

R
Old 02-25-2008, 11:06 PM   #79
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
When I can't do that much anymore, perhaps the 1/3 or 1/4 acre in the city limits will probably be what we gravitate to.
You never know what life may bring. Maybe before the time you can't do that much any more, you won't WANT to do it any more. Or, maybe you will want to do it until you are 90. Septic tanks have never been my cup of tea and are not my idea of how I want to spent my precious retirement time. There are a few properties for sale around the Springfield area now and then that are a couple of acres and stll have city sewage. However, about 1/3 to 2/3 acre within the city limits will be plenty for me.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 02-26-2008, 07:02 AM   #80

Good point W2R...perhaps I won't WANT to do some of those things even when I still can.

BTW, we lived with a septic system when I was a teen, and that system and the one at our new home has never been a problem (really haven't ever had to spend any precious time on them). Perhaps we have been lucky...or you have had some bad luck with them sometime. Oh, yeah, NOLA is below sea level...
R