Moving help needed

cbo111

Full time employment: Posting here.
No, I don't need help lifting the piano!
Wife and I are retiring in mid 2015 and will move from Calif to Florida. We own a furnished condo in Florida which we will live in until we decide where to purchase a home. We will sell the current home in California and must do something with all our furniture and belongings. I anticipate it may take up to 8 months to find a home in Florida.
My question to you wise folks is what to do with my household goods for 8 months?
Chuck

Do you want to keep the furniture for the new place? Or do you anticipate needing different furniture at the new place.

Personally I would look hard at my furniture and only keep the items that I was sure to want in the new place.... family heirlooms, favorite items... But some of the other stuff could be sold on craigslist. For the items I wanted to keep - I'd get some PODS. They can be shipped and stored at your new location. Then when you have the new house - you can have the pod(s) delivered and unpack them.

I would seriously consider Rodi's suggestion to sell the furniture and only keep the very important pieces.

A system like PODS (there are also several competitors) seems ideal as they allow both transport and storage. However a good friend of my mother in law had mold problems from storing furniture for several months over the summer.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

X3 it is best to sell the stuff off and not deal with moving and storage if you can.

The nice thing about the PODS or similar is you do not have to load and unload the stuff multiple times as you would if placed into a storage unit.

I had an acquaintance who moved fairly regularly, always in search of the perfect windsurfing location, with a family in tow. Luckily, he was a skilled Java developer and could easily find good pay most anywhere.

Anyway, he swore by PODS and their competitors to make his household moves. A couple of pointers he gave me many years ago when these services were becoming popular, not sure if they are still valid:

• The low cost company depended greatly on both origin and destination since [low cost] service areas were limited.
  • The incremental cost past the first container (for 2 and sometimes 3) may be much smaller than you would expect. Generally, three of these fit on a single truck.

We've used a PODS type company for an in town office 6 week storage, then move and it worked beautifully.

Thanks all for the great feedback.

Given the high humidity in FL I would definitely want a climate-controlled storage spot. Costs more yes, but your stuff won't come out moldy.

Back
Top Bottom