Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-02-2011, 12:14 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
... (though I am already letting a few structured activities back in).
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Fight back, Rich! "Structured activities are the hobgoblins of unretired minds."
Hang in there for "just one more year", Rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyp View Post
I am only getting about another 30 min of sleep extra each day with the occasional afternoon nap. I am one of those people who only needs 6.5-7 hrs per day . . . even after retirement.
I find that 18-hour ER days are much more enjoyable when interrupted by a 30-45-minute nap. During my working days I could usually make this happen on sea duty, and I really really wish I'd been able to do this on shore duty.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2011, 12:19 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Hang in there for "just one more year", Rich!
Hmm... let me think about it.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:40 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Congratulations. I think many of us had not realized how much stress we were carrying around until it was gone. Maybe that is why it is so hard to think about ever w*rking again, for me.
Agree. Excellent point.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:11 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats Marty, thanks for the post. Glad it's going well.

Arnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:48 PM   #25
Confused about dryer sheets

Marty:
Winter is a brave time of the year to ER, definitely in the Northeast, and possibly too in SF, where you are. It's great you are doing so well with the transition.....imagine what it will be like when spring rolls around in a few months.
(written in midst of an Ice Storm)
Old 02-02-2011, 04:31 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congratulations martyp! Retirement is really a good thing. Thanks for sharing your 1st month experience.

I just hit the 1 year mark at the end of January and all is good and I just couldn't imagine going back to work.

My morning starts early since I go to the pool 5 mornings a week for water aerobics at 6 am so I only sleep in a bit on Sat. or Sun. The morning is so much more relaxed though. I often hang around the lobby after my waterX and read the paper, then home for a cup of tea and breakfast. I spend lots of time surfing the internet although overall computer time is much less than when I was working. Anyway retirement is much more about doing things when and how I want rather than meeting someone else's schedule.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:40 PM   #27
Dryer sheet aficionado

Marty, Thanks for your post, it is most encouraging to a want a be. My biggest concern about early retirement is the weather and coldness that goes with Winter time. How does that affect you? Seems that Spring and Summer would be a breeze but not sure about that cold indoor time. Do the walls close in on you as cabin fever developes?
Old 02-02-2011, 05:43 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

I really enjoyed reading this, particularly the point about stress reduction. When the time comes and I'm asked why I am retiring -- stress is going to be at the top of my list.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:49 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

I had to check and make sure I didn't write that about 6 months ago. It sounds very familiar. Congrats on the new life.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:39 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossonova
Marty:
Winter is a brave time of the year to ER, definitely in the Northeast, and possibly too in SF, where you are. It's great you are doing so well with the transition.....imagine what it will be like when spring rolls around in a few months.
(written in midst of an Ice Storm)
Sorry about your ice storm. I remember them from my childhood. Jan in CA has been 60 deg & sunny. We do get rain sometimes.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:44 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun in the sun
Marty, Thanks for your post, it is most encouraging to a want a be. My biggest concern about early retirement is the weather and coldness that goes with Winter time. How does that affect you? Seems that Spring and Summer would be a breeze but not sure about that cold indoor time. Do the walls close in on you as cabin fever developes?
I am running out vacation until Mar 1st. One advantage to leaving in Dec were all the paid vacation days. Weather has been nice in CA. I am looking forward to spring to take some good motorcycle trips.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:45 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations. Keeps those of us still working inspired to get where you are someday! Please give us updates!
Old 02-06-2011, 07:49 PM   #33

Next update will be early March when I run out my vacation and am officially retired (and no longer collecting full salary . . . )
Old 02-09-2011, 02:26 AM   #34

Congrats and a good post. I too experience what you wrote and I'm on my 6th month of retirement. Early retirement cured my insomnia which I've had all through my working life. Now I have more sleep nights than sleepless nights. Work stress is really bad for health. Looking forward to your next update.