I'm gonna give it all away...

Those two are possibilities. And no reason to have just two.

You could set up a scholarship endowment at a college/university or at your local high school (or where you graduated). The advantage of setting it up at the HS is that you can broaden the scope to cover tech schools and trade apprenticeships or you could narrow the scope to specific career fields you are passionate about. That could really make a difference in a young person's life and get them started with little/less debt. Or if you do not want your kids to have to be involved in granting the funds, consider mikeroweworks.org and have them grant scholarships to help students (of any age) to get training in the trades.

If you are a member of a church, you might create an endowment to have a "loaves and fishes" offering/fundraiser every year. One Sunday, a basket is passed with bills of different denominations and attendees take money OUT of the basket. Then a few weeks later, there is a "fair" where those people either sell items that they made (baked, etc) with that money or turn in the profits from what they used that money for (as in, bought gas to power a lawn mower to mow lawns, bought a sander and then refinished furniture. printed up business cards for a cleaning/babysitting service). That may help not only the church budget but also help those who cannot afford to donate annually to contribute to the church.

But going back to your original question. My daughter/family has stayed in all of the Ronald McDonald Houses in Phoenix because of their son with many medical challenges (the end is finally in sight for some of them). They were even the RMH Arizona poster family one year. The families who stay get one room (no matter how many family members) and are asked to contribute $50/night, if they can afford it (or insurance picked up the tab). But some families are financially devastated by the medical costs for their child and stay free. The RMH's are run separately in each state (municipality?) so you may need to be more specific on where your donation goes.

Another variation of the RMH is the Fisher House Foundation. It is specifically for military families, military retirees and veterans. The home-like facilities are near many military hospitals and VA hospitals - and it is for any age of patient for their families to stay while they get care. Some places like near Bethesda have families that may be there for literally months (the family can include the parents of an adult patient too). And Fisher House is very highly rated by charity watchdog organizations.

Or, you did not say what the medical condition is but, especially if it could be inherited, leave money for research to find out a cure, or to at least extend quality of life.

All the best in your journey.

Ronald Md House has a good reputation but St. Jude's and Shriners Hospitals are known by me to be great institutions.

Two sets of friends with young children needing hospital care were able to use Ronald McDonald House facilities. BOTH families were blessed and sing its praises.

God's blessings on you Stormy.

I've learned a bit about the effective altruism movement and found the ideas unexpected and a bit unsettling. Specifically that our human brain wiring isn't very good at what to do when it comes to giving. It turns out that if you want to eliminate the most suffering or save the most lives, your donations should not go to US causes. One reason is if your dollar doesn't show up in a US charity, the recipient will probably catch some other program and not go completely wanting. And second, a dollar goes a very long way in other parts of the world...an order of magnitude or more than being spent in the US. Check out givewell.org if you want to explore further. But as indicated, we don't get the same warm fuzzy by literally saving lives of kids from distant lands...we would rather do smaller things here at home.

Condolences. My aunt ran a Ronald McDonald house and did lots of good work. We have always supported their mission. Would love if you would donate

I've learned a bit about the effective altruism movement and found the ideas unexpected and a bit unsettling. Specifically that our human brain wiring isn't very good at what to do when it comes to giving. It turns out that if you want to eliminate the most suffering or save the most lives, your donations should not go to US causes. One reason is if your dollar doesn't show up in a US charity, the recipient will probably catch some other program and not go completely wanting. And second, a dollar goes a very long way in other parts of the world...an order of magnitude or more than being spent in the US. Check out givewell.org if you want to explore further. But as indicated, we don't get the same warm fuzzy by literally saving lives of kids from distant lands...we would rather do smaller things here at home.

Good points.

That's why the OUS charities we support are run by people we actually know. We (often) have monthly communications with them (including pictures, text, even phone calls.) We have come to trust the folks on the ground who are doing the w*rk and helping the people. In many cases, we have gone or sent people to the actual places to help physically AND to learn how efficient and effective these charities are. In most cases, the forwarding agents are in the USA and 501c3 structured - making it easy to donate, get tax credit and also to be more certain the money is used where/how promised.

We in the USA are so blessed with safety nets that, as you indicate, there are options for those of our citizens in need. Nothing is perfect, but if I were to be hungry or homeless or without health care, I'd rather live here than in a village in Africa or Asia where the closest decent sized city is 200 miles away through bush or jungle and a 10 hour jeep ride (if a jeep is available to me.)

Some of the OUS charities I support are all that is available in a certain region. If they don't do it, it doesn't get done.

In terms of efficiency, DW and I in some years have together "consumed" $250K worth of health care (between MC and supplement and our own deep pockets - full disclosure: That's the "list" price, AKA un-discounted by MC price.) That amount of money will run a small clinic/hospital in the African bush for a year. It will deliver a couple of hundred high-risk babies (many c-sections and/or AIDs moms), treat infections (including AIDS), provide ambulance service within the bush, feed and treat malnourished kids, provide routine surgical care other than hearts/lungs to several scattered villages and rural areas. I haven't personally visited this bush hospital but know several people who have visited and done things like build buildings to house (for instance) the new nursing school. When I was w*rking on my MS, I met and became close to the man who is trying (now) to retire as director of this particular hospital. He was doing his pre-med training at "my" school. Thus I DO trust him to use any money I send to him (again, via a 501c3 covering agent).

I've mentioned before that I envy people who have a passion (for anything, really. Maybe they love motorcycles or sky diving or foreign travel, etc.) I've never really had that "passion." The closest I come to a passion is supporting folks like my friend who meets needs that (literally) would not be met without him and (in this case) a hospital that I support. We are blessed to be able to support a dozen or so similar kinds of OUS charities (medical facilities, schools, refugee assistance, etc.) My contributions are magnified many times compared to what they would accomplish here at home where we have it so good.

Heh, heh, yeah, if I have a passion, I think this is it. Returning you now...

I applaud your accomplishments and your desires. Here's just my 2 cents. Large national charities have loads of money given by corporate sponsors and foundations. Maybe look at a small local charity or non profit that serves something you have a connection with. Those you mentioned see that kind of donations regularly. Find one where your contribution can make a very large improvement in their bottom line. I know because my retirement is being a volunteer at a small non profit summer camp that serves about 40 children and adults with physical and mental disabilities per year. If you can see where your financial assistance goes it will be heart warming.

This is an organization we work with directly. Mi Casa International in El. Salvadore. [mod edit] A friend started the orphanage there many years ago. The friend is from Oregon.

There is a girls home, a boys home and this past year a Mother/baby home started with young underage girls who are pregnant due to incest, trafficking, etc..The organization is really great, the kids are given opportunities for quality education, medical care, counseling, etc, all in a family like atmosphere. My husband and I and another couple friend have been there multiple times to help with some renovations, including building new kitchen cabinets in a fully renovated amazing kitchen that is now almost 3 times the size of the one torn out in November. The girls home has upwards of 20-24 young ladies, and many have been there for years and they have no where else to go and this is there home. Bob, the director, is their "papa" and he truly loves the children, his mission and calling. The boys home kitchen will also be renovated and enlarged this coming year and we will also do that work.
The mother/baby home has 3 girls and babies born since December. There is room for another 9 girls and babies. The girls and babies can stay until the mother is 18, or longer till 24 in that country. The girls stories are tragic, but they and the babies receive loving care. If you want more information please let me know. This is direct impactful work for kids in need. Blessings for others is wonderful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stormy Kromer I hope all is going well with you. Glad you are back posting, and I always enjoy reading your posts.

I am thinking about where to give it to. The children will get what I inherited. I want to help those who need it and have no other source (government) to look for.
You posted that you've already made your decision, but when you mentioned you were an orphan, I thought of Mooseheart.

https://www.mooseheart.org/

I have no experience with them whatsoever except what I read in Moose International's monthly magazine. And obviously they put the best gloss on it possible, but these kids' stories make me glad they had a place to go that at least wasn't a known terrible option, or possibly no option at all.

Again, I have no experience with them at all, but they've been around a long time and as far as I know haven't been embroiled in scandals. I will leave my entire estate to charity and they're on my list of possibilities (subject to further research).

Mail Lists

Howdy,

I haven't given to many charities as i suspect they have sold or given my name to others since I get bombarded with requests for donations soon after.

Thirty years ago I am pretty sure ST Judes gave my name to others...

I would give more to charities but I can't find any that state anywhere in the solicitations that they will not share your info with other organizations. We especially like St J and wounded warriors...

Anyway to to get assurances that they won't share info?

Thx

Wally

We have made donations via money order. Completely anonymous.

Okay, but often it's a good idea to get the standard charitable acknowledgement letter addressed to you stating no goods or services, etc, etc.
This is true both for QCDs and other donations.

I realize that most of us don't get audited that often, but still...

Okay, but often it's a good idea to get the standard charitable acknowledgement letter addressed to you stating no goods or services, etc, etc.

I was thinking that this may become more important if we go back to using itemized deductions in a couple of years. The IRS has always said it's required, but I doubt whether many people bother.

Yes, I agree. But once they have our names, there will rarely be any assurance that our contact information will never be shared.

If someone is taking the standard deduction, no proof of donations should ever be needed for tax audit purposes, so an acknowledgement letter is not needed.

What's more important: an acknowledgement letter or anonymity? Different people will answer this question differently.

Anonymity in the age of Facebook?
I agree that different folks will differ.

As for me, I have way more paper bags to hold unopened junk mail than I'll ever need...

The IRS requires it by the charities, for the sake of their records, for donations above $75.

Letters from charities are easy enough to get and toss in a folder. I have caller ID and don't have to answer the phone if I don't want, and excess mail is easy enough to toss. I am solicited constantly by businesses (by phone, e-mail, pops, etc.), so I am not going to worry about charities.

Howdy,

I haven't given to many charities as i suspect they have sold or given my name to others since I get bombarded with requests for donations soon after.

Thirty years ago I am pretty sure ST Judes gave my name to others...

I would give more to charities but I can't find any that state anywhere in the solicitations that they will not share your info with other organizations. We especially like St J and wounded warriors...

Anyway to to get assurances that they won't share info?

Thx

Wally

I wonder, could you simply leave the money to them in your will? An additional advantage that occurs to me, is that you would still be able to access the money in case an unexpected emergency need for it arises between now and the day you die.

I wonder, could you simply leave the money to them in your will? An additional advantage that occurs to me, is that you would still be able to access the money in case an unexpected emergency need for it arises between now and the day you die.

Yes that's a thought but I think you should leave them a fixed dollar amount not a percentage. Have heard of cases where charity fights for top dollar for everything to maximize their cut. Can really bog the process down.

We want to leave half to charity and half to nephews. If we spend more than we think we need now, Nephews get screwed and charity gets more if we don't keep updating Will.:facepalm:

Thx

Wally

Yes that's a thought but I think you should leave them a fixed dollar amount not a percentage. Have heard of cases where charity fights for top dollar for everything to maximize their cut. Can really bog the process down.

We want to leave half to charity and half to nephews. If we spend more than we think we need now, Nephews get screwed and charity gets more if we don't keep updating Will.:facepalm:

Thx

Wally

This is very similar to our estate plan (half to charities, half to younger family members). But, with the younger (i.e. early 30-something) family members, there are also some dollars set aside to help them with certain major life events (ex. downpayment, education, birth of a child) well before we intend to expire. I firmly believe dollars sooner are much more valuable than dollars later in those still getting on your feet years. Now, I just need these nephews/nieces to get their career acts together, get married, have kids, buy a house, etc. Their generation in no big rush to do those things like we were.

Back
Top Bottom