My Hometown!

I like that shot of the tram car in the snow W2R - very nice (makes mental note - "Must visit New Orleans.")

I also need to learn how to properly post images to this forum so they don't take up too much space.

I like that shot of the tram car in the snow W2R - very nice (makes mental note - "Must visit New Orleans.")

Thanks! I like it too, so I copied it from the Times-Picayune (newspaper) website. :D Probably shouldn't have done that, but it is SO pretty. I would be scared to stand in front of a streetcar here, myself... and yes, you must visit New Orleans. Everyone should, IMO. :)

Major Tom, your pictures and perspective are really very cool. I love to see what "real" photographers can do with composition. I especially like the one that includes the StudioDepot building--lovely contrasts.

So Walt, speaking of awesome photographers, can we see some of yours? :)
Thank you Sarah - that's very nice of you to say. I used to wonder whether I was any good, but now I think of it in a different way. If the picture comes out the way I envisioned it, and if I can show people what I wanted them to see, then it works for me.

And yes - Walt. That sunset picture you posted a while back was lovely. Anytime you want to post anything else, there are some eager eyes here :)

PS - please just call me Tom!

Yes, I am moving to SF. Did you live around around Nob Hill?

Telegraph Hill, right in North Beach, and loved it. I'd move back in a second if given the chance. But, not sure I'd want to be an old person living in The City.

A few from my new hometown area of SF:

103303043.jpg

101676223.jpg

One of the nice things about SF is that there are hiking trails and woodsy areas in the City:

102895008.jpg

102895010.jpg

Just a few blocks from the beach in the Outer Sunset. Even the summer can be pretty chilly here:
111976665.jpg

Good to take a heater with you when waiting for the train:
102008702.jpg

I hope you enjoy it here FIREd.

Last edited:
Sarasota ,Florida

Attachments

• herald_square-sarasota-apartment.jpg
    herald_square-sarasota-apartment.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 116
  • Burns-Court-Villas.jpg
    Burns-Court-Villas.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 7
  • 65181096.jpg
    65181096.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 6
and a few more from Sarasota

Attachments

• st_armands2.jpg
    st_armands2.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 4
  • beachfront-restaurant-sandbar.jpg
    beachfront-restaurant-sandbar.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 96
Such a romantic picture of the trolley in the snow. Did you take it?
No - - as I told MajorTom last night (six posts up), I did not. During that (rare) snowstorm, I was stuck at w*rk and they wouldn't let us out to play in the snow. :( Even if they had, I would have been afraid to stand in front of a streetcar like that.

I took the two others, though. :)

Here are some that I took, including MY photo of a streetcar.:D Also I included some street music in front of the Cafe Du Monde, and a statue in City Park of General P.G.T. Beauregard that I like.

Attachments

• streetcar2.JPG
    streetcar2.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 4
  • CafeDuMonde2.jpg
    CafeDuMonde2.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Beauregard.jpg
    Beauregard.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Here are some more that I took:

The inspirational statue of Joan of Arc, one of our cemetaries, and St. Joseph's, our biggest church and a beautiful one IMO.

Attachments

• JoanOfArc.jpg
    JoanOfArc.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 5
  • ElkCemetary01.jpg
    ElkCemetary01.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 3
  • St. Josephs2.jpg
    St. Josephs2.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Here's a few from my current adopted hometown:

Attachments

• home2.jpg
    home2.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 7
  • home3.jpg
    home3.jpg
    377.4 KB · Views: 7
  • home4.jpg
    home4.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 8
  • home5.jpg
    home5.jpg
    393.9 KB · Views: 8
  • home6.jpg
    home6.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 6
Gumby, did not realize we were once neighbors, I was born and raised in Huntington and then lived many years in Upper Brookville. Your photo's bring back many memories of how beautiful life on the North Shore really was. Been along time since I have been back and so I can not place the harbor? I could be way off but it but that church is reminiscent of the one out in Port Jefferson/Setauket area?

Other side of the Sound.

Gumby, I grew up across the sound from you (and a little westward), in Huntington, NY. For a second, I thought your picture was of Huntington Harbor:

Huntington-Harbor-3.jpg

Last edited:
It does look oddly similar, doesn't it? Right down to the ballfields at the head of the harbor.

I played on those fields once or twice.

Back
Top Bottom