NC or PA?

We had the mildest winter ever in PA this year.

I read in some magazine that PA was one of the worst places for retirees because of taxes and such. That said, I'll probably never leave. I would miss the 600 lb bear that ran down my driveway last week.

yelnad said:
We had the mildest winter ever in PA this year.

I read in some magazine that PA was one of the worst places for retirees because of taxes and such.
Did you actually mean "best"?  In PA, you don't pay state income tax on distribution of 401K/IRA's (you pay it on the "front end", when you contribute to the fund).  Most other states are reversed (you pay state tax on the distribution side).

It was definitely on the worst list. I wish I could remember the magazine, but I think it was in the last 2 years. I don't know much about taxes after retirement since I'm still a long way away.

I found this on the web: "Retirement Income Taxes: At 59½, Social Security, civil service, state/local government, and private pensions are exempt. IRAs are exempt as are out-of-state government pensions."

I think I found it in Kiplinger magazine. Check out this article.

Nords said:
I beat feet outta there after the winter of 1977-78 when even the Navy looked like a better deal than watching the rivers freeze while Duquesne Power & Light ran out of coal. I visited sporadically (Navy vs Pitt) over the next few years but the last one was 1983.
I remember the winter of 77-78, extremely cold and mucho snow; but that was the exception. Last winter was extremely mild, both temps and snowfall.
The snow belt is about 80 miles north of here; big time lake effect snow up there
To clarify: pensions are not taxed and money put into a 401k was taxed going in and is not taxed coming out.

check this: http://money.cnn.com/best/bpretire/snapshots/45798.html
Yelnad: I checked out the article you mentioned; it's about Harrisburg PA
I don't know why anyone would go there to retire; it's not representative of southwestern Pa. From Harrisburg east to Philly, the cost of living is much, much higher than the Pittsburgh area.

Thanks. I didn't realize it was just Harrisburg. It's such a hole in the state. Definitely not our best.

NC or PA?

I'm here in Carolina Beach, NC surrounded by former PA residents. How many PA residents are surrounded by former North Carolinians?

Do the math. Come on down!

BUM

I live in Central PA...cost of living is low, plenty of nature (saw deer, turkey, ring neck pheasant, owls, woodpeckers and a muskrat in the last two weeks....and I am not a hunter), lifestyle is slow, and people are nice. Basically only requirement here is that you have to be a Penn State and Steeler fan :D. I understand that a house in my neighborhood is going on the market...you could buy it and for a small fee, I might let you mow my lawn and enjoy the great outdoors ;).

BUM said:
I'm here in Carolina Beach, NC surrounded by former PA residents. How many PA residents are surrounded by former North Carolinians?

Do the math. Come on down!

BUM
BUM, you live there or just visiting?
But, you're right; lots of western PA. folks vacation on the outer banks of NC and
the Myrtle Beach area which extends north into NC.
Don't want to live there though; don't even want to vacation there either.
That's just my preference; enjoy it there!!

MMMM, Carolina Beach, now you're talking! Gawd it's beautiful up there! And so what if we get a hurricane every now and then, it is still better than snow!
Why do people want to move to Myrtle Beach, anyway? It is gross. Really. And when you could live in the Wilmington, Charleston, or Savannah areas instead?
Myrtle Beach :p
Sarah

hows the flooding been in the north forks township been?

The water was high in Easton. I didn't see it myself, but I'm sure the river overflowed north of there too. Riverview is on high ground well above the river. Even though one aproach to it might be flooded, access from the west is never a problem. If you visit there you'll see what I mean.

Back
Top Bottom