Join Early Retirement Today

Re: NC or PA?
Old 06-20-2006, 09:02 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
They have goodwill stores on the Mainland too!*
Battery powered socks... thick-soled boots... exposure suits... frost hoods... facemasks... a portable generator to power the heat lamp that I'll have a personal assistant dragging along behind me...

You know, the typical stuff everyone needs when they've lost all their own thermal insulation.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2006, 06:16 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107
anyone look at riverview estates in northampton county ?* we are thinking of going in 2 weeks to check it out,it looks beautiful

http://www.riverviewestates.com/
I have been there. It is a nice area. I live about 12 miles from there and pass by frequently.

Old 06-21-2006, 08:22 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Battery powered socks... thick-soled boots... exposure suits... frost hoods... facemasks... a portable generator to power the heat lamp that I'll have a personal assistant dragging along behind me...

You know, the typical stuff everyone needs when they've lost all their own thermal insulation.
I thought you were talking about Pittsburg, not Minnesota.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:50 AM   #24

What's all this badmouthing of Pittsburgh. We visit Pittsburgh in the winter to get a BREAK from the ice and snow!

RE2Boys, living 100 miles north of Pittsburgh in the land of lake effect snow storms.........after 22 years in northern Alabama!!

If I was looking to live in NC, would look in the Asheville area western part of state. Near Smokies. Has a touch of real winter each year but otherwise moderate.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:13 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
I thought you were talking about Pittsburg, not Minnesota.* *
Pretty much anything north of 33 degrees latitude!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 09:19 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to yelnad Send a message via Yahoo to yelnad

We had the mildest winter ever in PA this year.

I read in some magazine that PA was one of the worst places for retirees because of taxes and such. That said, I'll probably never leave. I would miss the 600 lb bear that ran down my driveway last week.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:27 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelnad
We had the mildest winter ever in PA this year.

I read in some magazine that PA was one of the worst places for retirees because of taxes and such.
Did you actually mean "best"?* In PA, you don't pay state income tax on distribution of 401K/IRA's (you pay it on the "front end", when you contribute to the fund).* Most other states are reversed (you pay state tax on the distribution side).
Old 06-21-2006, 09:36 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

It was definitely on the worst list. I wish I could remember the magazine, but I think it was in the last 2 years. I don't know much about taxes after retirement since I'm still a long way away.

I found this on the web: "Retirement Income Taxes: At 59½, Social Security, civil service, state/local government, and private pensions are exempt. IRAs are exempt as are out-of-state government pensions."

I think I found it in Kiplinger magazine. Check out this article.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:02 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords

I beat feet outta there after the winter of 1977-78 when even the Navy looked like a better deal than watching the rivers freeze while Duquesne Power & Light ran out of coal. I visited sporadically (Navy vs Pitt) over the next few years but the last one was 1983.
I remember the winter of 77-78, extremely cold and mucho snow; but that was the exception. Last winter was extremely mild, both temps and snowfall.
The snow belt is about 80 miles north of here; big time lake effect snow up there
To clarify: pensions are not taxed and money put into a 401k was taxed going in and is not taxed coming out.

check this: http://money.cnn.com/best/bpretire/snapshots/45798.html
Yelnad: I checked out the article you mentioned; it's about Harrisburg PA
I don't know why anyone would go there to retire; it's not representative of southwestern Pa. From Harrisburg east to Philly, the cost of living is much, much higher than the Pittsburgh area.
Old 06-24-2006, 11:14 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks. I didn't realize it was just Harrisburg. It's such a hole in the state. Definitely not our best.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:34 PM   #31

NC or PA?

I'm here in Carolina Beach, NC surrounded by former PA residents. How many PA residents are surrounded by former North Carolinians?

Do the math. Come on down!

BUM
Old 06-26-2006, 09:05 PM   #32
Dryer sheet aficionado

I live in Central PA...cost of living is low, plenty of nature (saw deer, turkey, ring neck pheasant, owls, woodpeckers and a muskrat in the last two weeks....and I am not a hunter), lifestyle is slow, and people are nice. Basically only requirement here is that you have to be a Penn State and Steeler fan . I understand that a house in my neighborhood is going on the market...you could buy it and for a small fee, I might let you mow my lawn and enjoy the great outdoors .
Old 06-27-2006, 10:50 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUM
I'm here in Carolina Beach, NC surrounded by former PA residents. How many PA residents are surrounded by former North Carolinians?

Do the math. Come on down!

BUM
BUM, you live there or just visiting?
But, you're right; lots of western PA. folks vacation on the outer banks of NC and
the Myrtle Beach area which extends north into NC.
Don't want to live there though; don't even want to vacation there either.
That's just my preference; enjoy it there!!
Old 06-27-2006, 11:53 AM   #34

MMMM, Carolina Beach, now you're talking! Gawd it's beautiful up there! And so what if we get a hurricane every now and then, it is still better than snow!
Why do people want to move to Myrtle Beach, anyway? It is gross. Really. And when you could live in the Wilmington, Charleston, or Savannah areas instead?
Myrtle Beach :P
Sarah

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 06:26 PM   #35
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

hows the flooding been in the north forks township been?
Old 07-01-2006, 07:26 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

The water was high in Easton. I didn't see it myself, but I'm sure the river overflowed north of there too. Riverview is on high ground well above the river. Even though one aproach to it might be flooded, access from the west is never a problem. If you visit there you'll see what I mean.