Need Better Posts

boont

Recycles dryer sheets
We need better stories posted here in my humble opinion. Here is an example from another non-retirement site that just happened to talk about adjusting to retirement...

"I think I sold my husband and I short in my earlier post. We were younger than many, 58 & 60. We spent the first year or so of retirement getting in shape, physically. Lost 110 lbs between us and started a regular walking regimen that we have never stopped. Also began eating totally different from the quick, microwave meals we often had when we worked. We now eat lots more produce, fish, chicken, all the healthy stuff. These have been totally positive changes.

I devoted much time in the first couple of years to selling our 40+ years of accumulated flotsum and jetsam on eBay. Not to mention all the clothes that were now to big for me. That was fun and turned lots of unneeded objects that were just cluttering up closets into cash. Retirement before the internet would have been very difficult for me. I would've felt completely isolated and probably have found another job.

We spent much of the second year remodeling our house, dealing with contractors and all the things we didn't have time for when we were working. Our kitchen was the first project we had ever planned together. I did the aesthetics and Bud did the brute work. I have to say, it turned out well, though there were things we'd do differently if we were doing it again. I did a lot of finding small components on the internet, that was fun.

I did work parttime at my old job for a couple of years, until the state budget crisis did away with all those jobs, darn it. I really loved seeing my former co-workers and having just that bit of contact with the public. Especially since I no longer had to work, just wanted to.

All that being said, I still believe that retirement is a whole arena where interpersonal relationships are redefined, big time. And it is more or less a do-it-yourself task, as I could never find anything to read about it. I remember my friends in my twenties saying that you never really know a man until you marry him. While that may be true, I think it is even more true that you don't know him until you spend 24/7 together. Work is a tremendous buffer and an escape hatch from the intensity of difference of opinions and outlook, etc. Some of us miss that very much.

Not my husband, though. He is happy as a clam with our small world as it is today. Hopefully, we'll expand it a bit when we get that class B in a few weeks or months. I am proud to say, we have NEVER watched Jerry Springer. We are news junkies, though."

How about it? More stories is what I want to read.

boont

Interesting - I see some "phases" we have gone through too:

1.  Getting in shape.  This is a great thing to tackle in retirement, because you finally have enough time for no more excuses!  And since health has everything to do with quality of life, this is probably the best gift you can give yourself as an ER.

Yep - if you can't think of anything else to do during retirement, spend the first year or two getting back into shape.  What a great way to start!!!

It was a few years after retiring, but we invested 2 years working out weekly with a personal trainer and she got us into great physical shape. 

Oh yeah - at the same time we too changed our diet (cut out the refined carb crap) and lost the excess pounds we were carrying.  It wasn't that much - 20 or so pounds for me, just a few for the DH (he is slender).  But it makes a difference!

2.  Getting rid of excess stuff!!  After a few years we finally tackled this issue head on.  Didn't want to deal with it at first.  But when we were finally ready to get rid of the house it took a year of solid hard work.  What a fantastic thing to have your life "cleaned out".  Clutter is really a quality of life killer.  Unfortunately you don't realize it until after you get rid of the excess stuff.  Watch the show "Clean Sweep" if you want to get a taste of the benefits of getting rid of excess stuff and paring down to the essentials that really enhance your quality of life.

3.  Buying an RV! (I think that's what they mean when they say "class B" - that's a type of camper van).   It's a fabulous way to travel if you have the time.   Especially if you:  hate airports, hate rental cars, hate motels, hate suitcases, etc., etc.

We spent the first couple of years traveling quite a bit.  We had set aside an extra "travel budget" for those first years so we could catch up on all those dream vacations we missed due to work obligations. We had this idea that we had pent up travel needs and we would "get it out of our system" in those first years.  Well, we got the "go on organized trips" thing out of our system - that's an expensive way to travel but a good way to start.  But our wanderlust was only magnified by the experience - we wanted to travel even more - but totally on our own terms.

Hence our switch to the fulltime RV lifestyle.  We expect this "phase" to last many years.  Then we'll see what else strikes our fancy!

Any concerns I had about DH and I being together 24/7 - no problems!  We are  amazingly compatible.  I think I have to give most credit to my DH's tolerant personality and the fact that he tries to spoil me much of the time! 

Audrey

Hmmm...better posts...I think that is an "eye of the beholder" thing.

Everyone is in a different stage of life here. Some have ER'd many years ago and are past the decluttering/get in shape phase. Others are young dreamers, still in the grind, but looking forward to the future, while still enjoying the present. Others like me, (age 43) are in a different phase of life altogether. Retired from Phase I, but exploring Phase II.

There's something to learn from everyone, IMHO. 8)

We need better stories posted here in my humble opinion. Here is an example from another non-retirement site that just happened to talk about adjusting to retirement...

I'm only aware of a few ER boards, but this one sets the bar, IMO.

If this board doesn't cover it, it ain't worth mentioning. And there are stories of all kinds, every week. What's not to like?

the only other forum i participate on is for alzheimer's disease. it is often very sad. many of the caregivers are my age (49) & older, who don't even have enough money to retire themselves, yet they care for their elderly who have even less. as i've mentioned in previous posts, caregivers frequently die of stress before the person who actually has the disease. nursing home costs about $60k/year, probably twice what many of these people made in their yearly incomes.

i find the dichotomy of the financial thinking of these two forums at least, well, interesting.

though there are many such posts, i just copied this recent one from a discussion of medicaid (i hope that is not too dirty a word on this forum):

"I have to find another place to live for my mother. I live three hours away and for the past three years have been handling things...home care workers, bills, doctors visits, etc... Anyway, I told the social worker there that I have been looking for a place closer to me but haven't found anything yet. I will be bringing mom to stay with me for a couple of weeks and then bringing her back to her apartment with more support services (home care) until I do. I don't think they can throw her out can they. WhileI am tired of the drives back and forth upstate. I am more afraid of what is in store for me now that I have no choice but to move her in with me. Money is a problem. She has none and I was ready to retire in a year...and I have no savings. My entire check will go to housing her in an assited living if I can find one. So I am scared...It is a real gut wrenching fear when choices have to be made. I also have to remain calm and supportive to Mom who has no idea that they want her out and will fight with me on this. I do not know what to do...Obviously I cannot sleep....third night in row."

"I have to find another place to live for my mother."

If this person lives in California there is a way to deal with this problem. She needs care advice.

boont

boont said:
"I have to find another place to live for my mother."
If this person lives in California there is a way to deal with this problem. She needs care advice.

ya, thanx. there's actually a lot of caring and knowledgeable people on that site offering advice. i'd been following that person's posts. turns out she took the mil in. but then her sil caused so much trouble that they let the mil live with the sil. then the sil and bil ran up $30k on the old lady's credit cards. so, despite good advice, i guess it all just got even worse anyway.

Sundance Kid said:
Th is the best ER board, I've found! :D

I agree completely. There are terrific people here, skilled in many different areas, and they share freely. As for stories, many of us have made hundreds or even thousands of posts- before long one poster will have 10,000. There is more than a story on each one- there is a complete dossier.  :D

Ha

And I thought this was going to be a discussion about fences. :p

:LOL:

Anyone wants better posts, write some!

Besides, if you make me read more stuff, I have less time to write tripe.

HaHa said:
I agree completely. There are terrific people here, skilled in many different areas, and they share freely. As for stories, many of us have made hundreds or even thousands of posts- before long one poster will have 10,000. There is more than a story on each one- there is a complete dossier.  :D

Ha

Did I ever screw up. :D I thought I was agreeing to "This is the best ER board around."
Ha

OldAgePensioner said:
If I get the nerve (I'm a bit shy), I'll start a thread on SEX and how often, what positions, number of participants, devices used, roles played, sweets smeared, and sheets stained by strawberry.

But until then, well somebody else go first.

And you wonder why, you get nasty email regarding yor "immoral" ideas. :D

You want to do a collaboration. I don't have a lot of 1st hand experiences but what a vivid imagination. Think 5 course meal from appetizer to hot fudge sunday.

MJ said:
You want to do a collaboration. I don't have a lot of 1st hand experiences but what a vivid imagination. Think 5 course meal from appetizer to hot fudge sunday.

:eek: :eek: I come here looking for *better* posts only to be side tracked by a couple of dirty ol' men. :eek: :eek:

I can offer additional side tracking by a dirty young man, if that puts you in a better mood. :)

Try your racist material, it might work better.

b.

Here's a good story:

I saw a car with a Yuba City license plate holder. I rolled down my window...

"Hey, are you the Cute Fuzzy Bunny?"

and he gave me the finger.

The End.

Who says we don't have good stories here?

boont said:
We need better stories posted here in my humble opinion. . . .

How about it? More stories is what I want to read.
Do the stories need to be true?  I've always felt like you shouldn't let the truth screw up a good story.  I don't mind making up stories.  I'll even make up stories about other posters if you'd like.   :) :D :D

Maybe someone should run a poll and see what posters most want to see as subject matter in future stories.

boont said:
Try your racist material, it might work better.

b.

Why am I being attacked here as a racist? Please give me the evidence to support your attack on me!

Back
Top Bottom