Never Have I Learned So Much

Youtube has been a great learning tool for me. I repaired appliances, rebuilt a transmission on my 4x4 Jeep, all sorts of things I'd never tackle on my own.

So true, isn't it? I can't tell you how many times I dropped tools and walked into the house thinking "This probably isn't on YouTube..." and it was. I even used 30 minute video to completely (and I mean completely) disassemble our washing machine to replace a known failure item. I had a laptop in the shop and just kept advancing and pausing the video until I got it all done. No way in hell I ever would have figured that out on my own.

And on the same learning topic, I find myself (sometimes hours) reading and exploring things that while working would never have had the time for. Someone will mention something about a historical event, or technology, or an old car (hobby of mine) and Google and read, and watch videos for house. Yesterday Googled the Porsche 356SL and ended up watching a 30 minute video of Jay Leno's garage where they featured "#46" a 1951 SL that was Porsche's first entry into Le Mans....

I fixed my dryer, saving probably $100+. It might not seem like much to you handy types, but testing and replacing the thermostat was a great accomplishment for this 65-year-old, bookish woman!

Fortunately, one guy in YouTube was demonstrating on the exact same model!

Thanks for the lift! Sometimes while reading threads from all the high-rollers on this forum, I forget that I RE'd because I valued my time more than all the extra money I could bring in working for another 10 years.

Certainly learning is high on my list, and the internet helps a LOT. I find it interesting that some have mentioned DIY.

Ironically, the DIY forum I frequent has an off-topic section full of radical political rants, often referencing web sites which are no more than propaganda platforms for closed-minded and even hateful positions. There's no intellectual growth going on for those folks. Fortunately they are (I hope) in the minority.

I guess some of us choose to learn and grow, others to isolate ourselves in an echo chamber. The internet can be used to further either goal.

I guess some of us choose to learn and grow, others to isolate ourselves in an echo chamber. The internet can be used to further either goal.

Yeah, speaking of the echo chamber, there is a downside to Youtube, in that it will continually feed you more of the same viewpoint. For instance, if I like to watch people who have a particular socio-political viewpoint, then Youtube will make recommendations of more content along those same lines. So after a while, you just get lots of reinforcement for your point of view, without really hearing the other side.

That's similar to what a lot of social media does, so there's nothing unusual about that, although it's something to be aware of. You have the option of turning off recommendations and deleting your history, but the recommendations will still reflect your viewing history.

Another thing to be aware of is that Google and Youtube are not socio-politically neutral. They squelch (demonitize or delete) certain points of view in a biased fashion. There is still quite a lot of variety in content and perspective, but the curators are by no means neutral.

To clarify, I love Youtube, and I can say without reservation that it's changed my life. I just think it's useful to point out the downsides, too.

p.s. Another downside I forgot to mention. It's addictive. I have spent hours in the chair, watching one video after another. There is a ton of content out there, and it's available for free at the touch of a button. Hours can go by before I know it.

Last edited:
And it's a win-win because content providers get the positive effects of giving away their expertise. I'm on both sides of YouTube, and I'd suggest everyone post something, even if it's not "perfect" . Really, especially if it's not perfect; I've gotten more compliments on my circuitus appliance fix videos than the ones where I actually look like I know what I'm doing. You might need an occasional thick skin because the world has trolls, but mostly people just appreciate finding a video that SGOTI posted, and has no axe to grind.

Ever since childhood, I always like to read, and would like to think that I have learned a lot.

The problem is with retention of what I have learned.

Ever since childhood, I always like to read, and would like to think that I have learned a lot.

"I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me." - Emerson

I'm the same way. I can consume an entire book or video on quantum physics (or whatever) and really enjoy it. No way could I explain it to someone later, but just knowing that such knowledge exists is somehow rewarding. And I believe I get enough of the "big picture" that it adds to my understanding of the world.

Yeah, speaking of the echo chamber, there is a downside to Youtube, in that it will continually feed you more of the same viewpoint.

I guess I thought that went without saying, but I suspect a lot of folks aren't even aware they're being spoon-fed their own biases back to them.

I set my browser to clear cookies on exit, and I don't log on to sites like YouTube or Amazon. My browsing and searching are unbiased by my history.

YouTube is particularly interesting. Try launching it in a "clean" (no cookies) browser. The mindless drivel which is offered represents what is currently popular. Sort of makes one question one's faith in mankind.

I guess I thought that went without saying, but I suspect a lot of folks aren't even aware they're being spoon-fed their own biases back to them.

I'm sure most people notice it after watching Youtube for a while. Just something to keep in mind.

Personally, I don't consider it a downside. I like being fed more of what I'm interested in. My views tend to be pretty idiosyncratic, so they'd never turn up if it were just a general feed. I prefer that I hear more from people who speak sense to me or make me laugh, rather than just a random roll of the dice.

And although the echo chamber thing can be a danger sometimes, I personally don't worry much about it. The material I listen to tends to either be nested within a debate that includes the other side, or else it is an alternative to a mainstream/conventional view I've heard a million times already.

YouTube is particularly interesting. Try launching it in a "clean" (no cookies) browser. The mindless drivel which is offered represents what is currently popular. Sort of makes one question one's faith in mankind.

Yeah, I've seen that result a couple of times. Not pretty.

Back
Top Bottom