nm

Re: A retiree co-worker of mine - dead at 63...............

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
AUG 12 Moved to our new home in Boston. It is so beautiful here. The rolling countryside is breathtaking. Can hardly wait to see the snow. I love it here.
If you change "Boston" to "Pittsburgh", and "California" to "Hawaii", you could have been posting from my diary...

Coincidental, this thread.

In the last week I learned that three old friends are trying to survive cancer of various sorts.

Once again, I am thinking about the unthinkable: ER'ing on an undersized pot of assets. I know how to do it now. Such a step would mean renegging on some family obligations. This is tough.

If anyone needs some extra encouragement to not put off retirement, I'm sitting here waiting for a phone call from my best friend from my college and early working days. He's supposed to have a doctor's appt today and get some idea if he's likely to be able to see the end of April.

About 50/51, competitive amateur bicycle racer, non-smoker, very fit except for the melanoma he's been fighting for the last 4 or 5 years. Doing not too bad up until a week or two ago, I got an email from him earlier in the week saying he now is barely able to get out of bed or walk.

Having lost a couple of other friends in the last 1.5 years in that 50-57 age group to cancer (with another one who is 57 and probably not able to plan on more than another 4-5 years) it is very clear to me that you've got no assurance of hitting that "I'll retire later" date, even ignoring the not uncommon fatal car accident etc.

Grab that carp before it gets away.

Sorry if that bummed anyone out.

Michael
extremely glad he got out last year at 52

When I joined this forum last year I was concerned about my money lasting. Now I'm not concerned about that at all.

Whether you are able to retire or not, now (right now, today) is the best time to enjoy life.

I get some amount of grief on the amount we spend on travel. But I have a chronic illness that doesn't make me look ill (unless you happen to be looking when I throw up or fall down or drop something or understand that when I'm not thinking clearly, it's more than just a senior moment). I feel completely groovy with spending $10-20k per year on travel. If I knew I wouldn't live out the year, I wouldn't need to change a thing about my life except to visit the kids and distant friends an extra time or two, and ask the hubster to take fall semester off. And I'd probably spring for that TiVo  :LOL:

REWahoo! said:
Poboy, I'm not sure what it is either, but a retired friend of mine from Buffalo, NY loves to tell a story that he thinks is hilarious...

When he left the w*rking world, he got rid of most of his stuff, packed his few remaining posessions in his car, tied something he called a "snow shovel" to the roof and started driving south. He said he would stop in small towns all along the way and walk around for a while tying to get a feel for where he would like to settle down. One day he pulled into some small burg, parked, got out and someone asked him, "What's that on the roof of your car"?

This is actually from the Odyssey. Odysseus finally gets home and kills the suitors who have been trying to take over his property. Then he has to make amends to mollify Poseidon, the sea god, who is really pissed off at him. His punishment is that he has to carry an oar so far inland that the residents think it's a paddle for winnowing grain, and build a temple to Poseidon there.

But I think it's funnier the way your friend told it ...

This book will get your attention. At least, it did mine.

A snippet: QUOTE

I was told I had three months to live.”

On May 24, 2005, Eugene O'Kelly stepped into his doctor's office with a full calendar and a lifetime of plans on his mind. Six days later he would resign as CEO of KPMG. His lifetime of plans dwindled to 100 days, leaving him just enough time to say goodbye.

Eagle43 said:
This book will get your attention. At least, it did mine.

A snippet: QUOTE

I was told I had three months to live.”

On May 24, 2005, Eugene O'Kelly stepped into his doctor's office with a full calendar and a lifetime of plans on his mind. Six days later he would resign as CEO of KPMG. His lifetime of plans dwindled to 100 days, leaving him just enough time to say goodbye.

Looks like a good read! There are a lot of folks that still believe that they control their own destiny. Hopefully they will read this book, instead of wake up call like this.

Back
Top Bottom