Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-28-2013, 10:08 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm2 View Post
Our County library has come in very handy, even when we have lived elsewhere as we still are property taxpayers there.

I would like to have similar online access to a major University library. Anyone figure out a way to do that?
Are you an alumnus of a university? Many universities offer library services to alumni. Some, but not all, offer library services to unaffiliated members of the public. For example, here is the relevant link from the University of British Columbia (with which I have no affiliation). Unaffiliated seniors can get a library card for $40, for personal use only.

How to Get a Library Card | Use The Library

I would start by checking the websites of universities that you have attended or taught at, and those in your city or state. It might be worth asking a librarian if the website is not clear.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2013, 11:10 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

https://libwww.freelibrary.org/register/getcard1.cfm

looks like you can pay for an out-of-state card at the link above. I believe in Indiana, you can buy access to a statewide card for a fee also.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:11 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

This has been a great thread. I mainly like to watch special interest videos. Netflix and Amazon have some, but are geared more toward Hollywood type entertainment videos.

I found out from this thread I can look up special interest videos on Overdrive, and then pay to become a member of libraries that carry the videos I want. I could join a few libraries much cheaper than I can buy DVDs, and change libraries each year or so to get access to different DVDs. I never knew Overdrive had a world wide search feature, or that I could pay to become a member of university or out of state libraries before.

Thanks to all who contributed.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:47 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

We have a new free service called Zinio. Popular magazines you download and keep on you tablet, pc, whatever. Look for a library that has that. You'll never carry 10 heavy magazines on vacation again!

Having cards from different cities and counties allows you to use all the wonderful databases all from home.

This is a subject near to my heart. I retire as a librarian in 1 month, 2 weeks and 6 days, but I'll always be a library lover and supporter.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:33 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by linny727 View Post
We have a new free service called Zinio. Popular magazines you download and keep on you tablet, pc, whatever. Look for a library that has that. You'll never carry 10 heavy magazines on vacation again!

Having cards from different cities and counties allows you to use all the wonderful databases all from home.

This is a subject near to my heart. I retire as a librarian in 1 month, 2 weeks and 6 days, but I'll always be a library lover and supporter.
I just got a library card with Zinio a few weeks ago! That is one of the items on my ER expense cutting list. No more magazine subscriptions for us.

I love the library, too. We use the free passes for museums, plays, zoos, gardens and all sorts of attractions. That was one of our great finds in semi-ER. We have had many fun day trips with library passes for free except for gas to get places.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:40 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, the free museum passes! In the SF Bay Area you can get a pass to almost any museum or cultural/science center. With current DVD's, ebooks, books on CD, online magazines, newspapers, and, oh yes, books - the library is the best free source of entertainment and learning. We also have docent lectures from museums at our library,the Great Books discussion group, maker events, authors. Support your libraries!! They are among the first things cut during hard budget times.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:32 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Have used my libraries link into Zinio for magazines also, it's a great addition to the library offerings. Our library is also tied into Freegal Music which offers MP3 songs and music videos. There is a limit to how many MP3 songs you can download in a week and the selection is somewhat limited, but it is free and there's no expiration as far as I can tell.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:16 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Zinnio (thanks for the tip!)

OK, it's confession time for me. I have been reading this thread for a couple of days, and I had no idea what Zinio was, so I finally googled it a few minutes ago. Then I checked my local library's website, and lo and behold, they have the Zinio service available.

Once again the collective wisdom of this forum has provided me with a way to save money. I ceased buying magazines years ago as part of my LBYM plan, but I have really missed some of my favorites.

Just a cursory look at the library's Zinio offerings tells me I can find some of my favorites (Audubon, Consumer Reports). On behalf of myself, and several local family members who are about to get an email from me about Zinio at our library, thank you to everyone who brought this to my attention in this thread.

A special thank you to all the librarians out there - libraries are one of the foundations of a civilized society IMHO.