Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-15-2011, 11:45 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm a Kindle owner (3rd/latest generation) and love it. Have tried other ereaders in stores but none seems as user friendly. Being on its 3rd version, the Kindle has worked out a lot of the little kinks. It's reasonably priced, the battery lasts me a month, and the screen is easy on the eyes: I already use a computer at least 8 hours a day, and don't need more eyestrain from backlit screens.

Most of the books on my Kindle are free, downloaded from places like gutenberg.org. Amazon says some form of library lending is coming soon.

Oh, the "experimental" web browser does suck though. I'd only use it as a last resort.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2011, 11:46 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsparks2 View Post
I have large hands and have developed the habit of holding the phone with one hand and turning the pages with my thumb (one handed operation). The Kindle is a two handed operation as the page turn buttons are on the sides in the middle and I cannot reach the button with my thumb.
GSParks2,
I am the same as you, large hands and like to read with one hand... I have the Kindle and the case that has an "elastic" band around it... when I open the case and use the band to hold the case open, I can then fit my hand in between the covers and hold the book with my right hand while turning pages with my right thumb.. works great.

If my description did not make sense, let me know and I will load a picture...

Old 08-15-2011, 12:39 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I use my iPad when traveling for reading books and when in Europe, as English books are sometimes hard to come by and expensive (am a big fan of the public library in the US!). I also just prefer the real thing, the smell and feel of a real book.

Btw, does anyone else lick their finger before swiping the top right corner of your iPad or eReader to turn the page? I still do that... Can't seem to break the habit.. :-)

Queenie
Old 08-15-2011, 01:15 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I just saw a Kobo for $70 at the Borders going out if business sale.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:15 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
That is about $10 below the going rate for used. But I doubt it is the WiFi Touch version. Most of the ads are from people wanting to upgrade.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:34 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

DW has the Kobo. She likes it because it was so cheap that if she accidentally leaves it on a plane or similar she will not be crushed. She is happy with its performance.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:46 PM   #27
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut
SafeHourbor, People by an e-reader because they don't want to spend $600 on an iPad. And, I think they e-book readers are easier to read in bright light, but I may be wrong there.
Basic iPad (which is awesome in a head to head comparison) on Amazon is $475 not $600. Reading in light is not an issue (it is on my MacBook Pro). Weight is an issue unless you can prop it on your thigh it does get "heavy". But over all I don't you'll find any iPad owners that would rather have a Kendal or a Nook. The IPad experience is "Magical".
Old 08-16-2011, 08:54 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenie View Post
I use my iPad when traveling for reading books and when in Europe, as English books are sometimes hard to come by and expensive (am a big fan of the public library in the US!). I also just prefer the real thing, the smell and feel of a real book.

Btw, does anyone else lick their finger before swiping the top right corner of your iPad or eReader to turn the page? I still do that... Can't seem to break the habit.. :-)

Queenie
I bet it's superhard to dog-ear the corners, too
Old 08-17-2011, 09:28 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

To continue the debate.............

I used an IPAD for 3 months before purchasing my first Nook. This is what drove my decision:

I have a NetBook, which I found to be far more useful than an IPAD when I travel for extended periods of time. The NetBook weighs much the same and is far more useful for downloading and installing to other devices, keyboard for sending email, and using over long periods of time -. I found holding the IPAD waaaaaaay to cumbersome and heavy.

I might add that I also use an Iphone 4 when on the road which I can toggle if necessary.

I know that there is a keyboard, stand, etc. available for the IPAD, but after you load up on all that stuff...you have more weight, more claptrap, and less flexibility than a NetBook. In my opinion-a NetBook is a much better value.

The Nook is great for reading. It is lighter and far more flexible with regards to downloading library books, etc. I enjoy being able to throw my very lightweight E-ink reader into my purse and read while "waiting" at various locations.

I think that IPAD is a very clever device. All my grandchildren are IPADDED UP. However, as a "reader" it doesn't do it for me. As a computer substitute---it has too many shortcomings for my only computer device when I am on the road.

Everybody has different needs. For me a NetBook and a Nook (or two) is the better solution.