Kindle fans?

Hey braumeister- same thing happened to me.

On Saturday night, Feb 10, I purchased a book for my Kindle Voyage (2015). The book downloaded to 98%, then stopped. I returned the book and purchased another- same thing happened again. 24 hours of troubleshooting and no luck. I did attempt to download from WiFi away from my home- nope, didn't work.

I purchased a Kindle Paperwhite yesterday- awaiting delivery.

My "broken" Kindle still works, as I can read what's already loaded onto it, but can't add anything new. Pretty much forces me to buy a new Kindle, I guess.

Also, I wonder if Amazon creates/causes this download problem so loyal Kindle owners need to spend money for a new one:confused:

My "broken" Kindle still works, as I can read what's already loaded onto it, but can't add anything new. Pretty much forces me to buy a new Kindle, I guess.

Also, I wonder if Amazon creates/causes this download problem so loyal Kindle owners need to spend money for a new one:confused:

Similar here. The old machine works fine except that I can't connect to any wifi anymore. I can't believe Amazon is messing with it, just a functional failure of the wifi radio chip in it.

I have to say the new Paperwhite seems a lot better than they used to be.

Similar here. The old machine works fine except that I can't connect to any wifi anymore. I can't believe Amazon is messing with it, just a functional failure of the wifi radio chip in it.

I have to say the new Paperwhite seems a lot better than they used to be.

My WiFi still works as I'm able to surf the Kindle store, and access Goodreads, but no dice downloading books beyond 98%.

I'm excited for the new Paperwhite to arrive. I'm positive the download problem will disappear with the new device. I suppose 9 years is long enough wait for an upgrade.

... I purchased a Kindle Paperwhite yesterday- awaiting delivery.

My "broken" Kindle still works, as I can read what's already loaded onto it, but can't add anything new. Pretty much forces me to buy a new Kindle, I guess...

While you're waiting, you can download the book you purchased by going to https://www.amazon.com/hz/mycd/digital-console/contentlist/booksAll/dateDsc/ on your computer. Click on "More Actions" and select "Download & transfer via USB". Connect your Kindle to your computer with a USB cable and copy the downloaded file to the documents folder.

I bought a Paperwhite about 1-2 years ago. I wanted a nice ereader and heard great things about it. I was very disappointed. It was dog slow. It would take seconds to flip the page and downloading a book took forever. It also was slow starting up each time. I just sold it used for a song and got a Fire tablet instead. I have a Fire HD 8 Plus. It is great.

I bought a Paperwhite about 1-2 years ago. I wanted a nice ereader and heard great things about it. I was very disappointed. It was dog slow. It would take seconds to flip the page and downloading a book took forever. It also was slow starting up each time. I just sold it used for a song and got a Fire tablet instead. I have a Fire HD 8 Plus. It is great.

There was something set up wrong or defective in your Paperwhite. Pages turn in a fraction of a second going all the way back to the original Kindles. And I just test downloaded 3 books - about 4 seconds each.

There was something set up wrong or defective in your Paperwhite. Pages turn in a fraction of a second going all the way back to the original Kindles. And I just test downloaded 3 books - about 4 seconds each.

Agreed. I am on my 3rd Kindle since 2008. I read a lot and it seems the battery life is the area that they fail in (like cell phones do). But I do get many years out of one before I have to consider a new one. I like the Paperwhites better than the others. I like them to be book size and visually to look like a book when I am reading them. (although I do like the backlighting at night that the originals didn't have).

I agree. I am on my third Kindle. The first was from back in 2011 before they had the lighting (and by the way, they aren't backlit, they are front lit. Tiny LED lights wash across the surface of the screen. They don't shine from behind like computers, phones and tablets. That's why they are easier on the eyes). When they came out with the Paperwhite I got one in 2018 for the lighting. My husband borrowed it one time to read something and like it so well he kept it! :facepalm::facepalm: So I ordered myself a new one in 2021. Both Paperwhites are still going strong (I traded in my old Kindle for one of the Paperwhites, but it too was still working just fine). Page turns are almost instantaneous. Books download in seconds. I love my Kindle!

The young wife is on her second Kindle (the newest one is a Paperwhite). She loves it for traveling and bedtime reading, and she has never complained about slow book loading or page flipping.

Another thing I like about it is the size. Most of the jackets I wear when traveling have a pocket it will fit into. So I never have to fret when I encounter a delay -- I just pull it out and read a book.
I could do that with my iPad Mini as well, which would often be a nicer experience, but it's much heavier so I carry the Kindle instead.

Wow.
I spent a lot of time playing with the settings on the PW too.
Maybe it was defective.

I still desperately miss my kindle keyboard. I do not care for the paperwhite nearly as much as I want to hold and turn pages with left hand only and I cannot seem to do that with the size of the bezel and the lack of buttons.

Last edited:
I don't have a Kindle, so I don't know if this is possible, but on my Kobo device I can select where on the screen page turns happen. By default, you tap on the right side to go forward and the left side to go backward, but I changed it to tap on the bottom third to go forward and the top third to go backward. This way it doesn't matter which hand is holding the reader when turning pages.

I’m very happy with my paper white. I especially like the fact I can adjust the text size. Page turning is quick and easy.

I have a Paperwhite I got about 3 years ago. Honestly I don't often use it. I don't actually know where it is right now. I keep intending to use it but I find myself just using the Kindle app on my phone....

In 2023 I read 87 books on my paperwhite. That is decent value even if it only lasts a few years!

Has anyone tried the scribe version that lets you take written notes on it? I’m thinking of getting one.

Quoting my own post here ...

I did buy a Kindle Scribe a couple weeks ago. So far, I'm really impressed with it. Having the large screen to read on is kind of nice tho I admit a bit strange.

But I am really loving the handwriting/notetaking capability. It works very well and the battery life is amazing. I've been doing light note taking (perhaps using it one hour/day on average) plus some reading and I haven't charged it since the day I got it. It still has 50% power.

The handwriting is quite fluid and they have enough settings (paper style, pen style, etc.) to make it really usable. Unlike OneNote on the iPad the page size is fixed which in some ways makes it less flexible but I find really helps me keep things from become 100 different sizes.

Amazon needs to invest in more ways to get things on/off the device. The only way to get notes off are to mail them to yourself. They really need to do a few integrations with Google Drive and OneDrive at least. I'm also bummed that they killed their ability to subscribe to publications. The large screen format would be perfect for things like the NYT, etc.

You can also send a PDF to the device that you can write on. But weirdly it stashes this in your book library rather than into a notebook. That's just silly.

Overall though, I'm a big fan. I now have a single, light device that stores all of my notes on every topic, allows me to read on a big screen and has a battery that lasts forever. I'm hopeful they will address the other stuff via future software updates.

Thanks for the report. Very useful.

I considered it but went with the Paperwhite because I rarely make notes on something I'm reading, and when I do the iPhone is always handy for that.

It is a bit surprising they didn't incorporate your suggestions, but maybe in the next generation.

Well, I have to reverse myself on this one.
Replaced my Kindle a couple of months ago due to problems with it staying connected to wifi. The new one (Paperwhite) was great, but then started having similar problems. It would disconnect itself after some random period, from a couple of hours to a couple of days, and then not want to reconnect.

I went through Amazon's troubleshooting steps a number of times, with no luck, and finally just reset it to factory settings and went through all the setup stuff all over again. But the same problem came back within a day or so. What's strange is that I have a fairly new router and every other device shows the wifi as rock solid.

Alas, Amazon only gives you 30 days of warranty, so I'm out of luck and will just be using the Kindle app on my iPad Mini from now on. No more Kindles for me. :mad:

Well, I have to reverse myself on this one.
Replaced my Kindle a couple of months ago due to problems with it staying connected to wifi. The new one (Paperwhite) was great, but then started having similar problems. It would disconnect itself after some random period, from a couple of hours to a couple of days, and then not want to reconnect.

I went through Amazon's troubleshooting steps a number of times, with no luck, and finally just reset it to factory settings and went through all the setup stuff all over again. But the same problem came back within a day or so. What's strange is that I have a fairly new router and every other device shows the wifi as rock solid.

Alas, Amazon only gives you 30 days of warranty, so I'm out of luck and will just be using the Kindle app on my iPad Mini from now on. No more Kindles for me. :mad:

You probably tried this but in case you didn't: Did you reboot your router? A few years ago I had that problem with a tablet. Even did a factory reset and it didn't resolve it. All of my other devices were working fine so I didn't suspect the router. I finally rebooted the router and the problem was solved.

Back
Top Bottom