Nooks becoming real Android tablets

And the cool part is they just dropped the prices on the HD+ to $140-something for the 16gb and 179 for the 32gb. Target, walmart, bestbuy and B&N direct are selling at this price.

They're getting out of the hardware/tablet business and tried to sell the entire nook division to Microsoft, who curiously grew a brain and didn't buy the money loser.

But the good news is there is a whole hacking world behind the nooks. I've used a 7" nook tablet for almost a year now, hacked with the latest android release, for which I paid a whopping $80. My eyes needed something bigger though, so this 9" tab with a 1920x1080 res and a 1.5GHz dual core cpu fits the bill quite nicely for half its original price.

If you're not hacking inclined, you can download a microsd card image of the newest android, stick it in and boot it. If you're really not technically inclined at all, you can buy the microsd card with the software already on it.

Beautiful high def screen, nice form factor, no cameras or gps in it though, but my phone suffices for those needs nicely.

Staples is also clearancing all their nook accessories like cases and chargers...just a few bucks each although many of the stores are well picked over at this point.

Nice tab for the kids even with the stock nook ice cream sandwich and the play store, or for couch surfing.

I couldn't stand it! Rushed out to Barnes & Noble and bought a Nook HD+. I have a Kindle Fire and it was too small for me to read easily. I think I will like the Nook much better. I do like the screen format for reading. Haven't figured out how to get the Android and Google apps to display yet. Shouldn't be too hard. It seems to be noticeably faster than the Fire. The covers were also on sale so I got one of those for it too. Total cost: $182.70 with tax.

So I guess I am not exactly in the "frugal" category?

Google apps are up and running. First thing I did was download the Early-Retirement app so I could chat on the forum and the Kindle app so I could read the free books on retirement I got last week. ;)

I couldn't stand it! Rushed out to Barnes & Noble and bought a Nook HD+. I have a Kindle Fire and it was too small for me to read easily. I think I will like the Nook much better. I do like the screen format for reading. Haven't figured out how to get the Android and Google apps to display yet. Shouldn't be too hard. It seems to be noticeably faster than the Fire. The covers were also on sale so I got one of those for it too. Total cost: $182.70 with tax.

So I guess I am not exactly in the "frugal" category?

Did you get the 16gb or the 32gb version? >:D

omni

I bought a refurbished Kindle Fire a couple of weeks ago for $71 and then loaded the latest Android version on it (4.2.2) and it's like owning an entirely new tablet. I also have an older HP Touchpad and have also loaded the latest version of Android (4.2.2) on it and I love it too. There's a bunch of people out there that figure out how to load the latest Android versions on these older tablets and then post information on the web as well as create how-to youtube videos.

Apparently the same thing has been done with the Nook...here's a video showing the Nook with Android 4.2.2 on it.

Nook HD+ CM10 Jellybean 4.2.2 Running from EMMC Internal memory + Google Play Store - YouTube

I got a Nexus 7, which I guess Google brought out because the Kindle was such a success in the 7-inch space. Android 4.2.2 is great, especially "gesture typing", which I was convinced would never work, but doubles my typing speed and enables me to type when someone else is nearby without disturbing them with the jerky hand movements that hunt-and-peck implies on a touch screen keyboard. In fact I've barely used the Bluetooth physical keyboard that I bought, except that it makes an excellent snap-on hard-ish cover for the tablet.

I just picked up a Nook HD Plus for $150 at Wallyworld. I've been admiring DW's iPad, but I'm too cheap to buy one. I think with the Google Play app access, this is gonna work out nicely.

My confirmation bias excuse:

Does it still make sense to buy a Nook HD? | Marketplace Blog - CNET Reviews
I was a 'tablet holdout' until a couple of weeks ago when I also bit on the Google Play enhanced Nook HD+. After I had it for a week, DW decided she needed to upgrade her Kindle Fire and bought her own Nook HD+.

A lot of features for only $150...

I like my Nook HD+, but it keeps crashing on me. Anyone else having this problem? I hear the answer is to get it replaced. I'm up in the mountains doing my Hermit thing, so it makes it harder to do things like that. :)

I was a 'tablet holdout' until a couple of weeks ago when I also bit on the Google Play enhanced Nook HD+. After I had it for a week, DW decided she needed to upgrade her Kindle Fire and bought her own Nook HD+.

A lot of features for only $150...

Although I have had an IPad for the past 3 years (and probably the only American still using the original version), I succumbed to the temptation of a 7 inch tablet. I thought hard about the Nook, but went with an HP Slate 7 in. Mostly because of the price. Going through the credit card shopping mall, I gained another $30 off. A person can really save some extra money doing that with those cash back credit card "online shopping malls". I'm still made at myself because I forgot to do it with my trip I booked 2 days ago. Cost me almost $20 cash back dollars!!

Although I have had an IPad for the past 3 years (and probably the only American still using the original version), I succumbed to the temptation of a 7 inch tablet.

Don't worry - sometimes I feel like the only American who has neither a tablet, cellphone or indeed any mobile device whatsoever.

:confused: You need to check recent prices. Sure, you can pay $150+ for a router but there are many decent ones out there for $40 or less.
They are on Craigslist all day long for $20.

Don't worry - sometimes I feel like the only American who has neither a tablet, cellphone or indeed any mobile device whatsoever.

Guess I'm a "tweener".
Between my smartphone, laptop, & desktop I have yet to feel the need for a tablet. Although I can see my next laptop being a Win8 hybrid ("touchscreen laptop").

I got the first significant pang for a tablet sitting in the Auto Train waiting room in Lorton VA, with all the retirees around me (snowbirds heading down to Florida for the winter) using them, while all I had was my (comparatively) big, bulky laptop, practically unusable in a busy waiting room.

Back
Top Bottom