Nords! - We have good news and bad news!............

C

Cut-Throat

The good news:

Hawaii and Minnesota were #1 an #2 in Longest Lifespan States.

The Bad news:

Our SWR's just went down!

Before you start gloating too bad. I think the county I live in is just as Dark Blue as the one you live in. - We've got a lot of Indian Reservations up North that drags our state down a bit. The county that I was raised in also has one of the highest L.E.s in the nation.

LifeExpect.jpg

I was amazed when they said on the news tonight that MA was 5th on the list. Guess I'd better work a few more years LOL

Cut-Throat said:
Hawaii and Minnesota were #1 an #2 in Longest Lifespan States.
After years of aspiring to be something higher than #45, it's ironic that our local newspaper is running around muttering "Asian Americans, Asian Americans" and trying to find the "real" reason for Hawaii's longevity. I guess ancestry triumphs over lifestyle. http://starbulletin.com/2006/09/12/news/story04.html But apparently our longevity achievements also pale in comparison to the Asian-American women in Bergen County, NJ (sorry, Brewer, they didn't give a turnpike exit number!).

Considering how long we may lead productive lives, it's also ironic that we're locked into a vicious Democratic Senatorial primary to replace our 82-year-old Dan Akaka with that disrespectful young upstart former Representative Ed Case (yes, he's Steve's cousin).

Cut-Throat said:
Our SWR's just went down!
Well, if the alternative is seeing our spouses work longer then I'm OK with a lower SWR... I'm surprised to see that my hometown of Pittsburgh did so well, too.

On a separate rant topic, why are Hawaii & Alaska tilted so far clockwise? Wouldn't there be more room for the graphic if the Mainland was rotated to put CA on top and the East Coast on the bottom?!?

Nords said:
On a separate rant topic, why are Hawaii & Alaska tilted so far clockwise?  Wouldn't there be more room for the graphic if the Mainland was rotated to put CA on top and the East Coast on the bottom?!?

The reason that the continental US, Alaska and Hawaii are as they are in the diagram is that they were lifted off of a World map using a Winkel tripel projection (or something very similar) about the central meridian and then shifted together on the page.

Attachments

• World.jpg
    World.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 268
  • World.jpg_thumb
    33.1 KB · Views: 0
It appears to me that a correlation regarding poverty/education levels could be made with the LE map. Somehow, Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia don't surprise me when it comes to the aforementioned map.

And who was giving Nebraska crap earlier? Seems to me they're living pretty long in the wasteland you call the midwest. :LOL:

The lower Rio Grand Valley is dark blue. It's a very poor area, except for the snowbirds. Interesting to see that pattern also.

Ha

(Ahem.)

All aspiring retirees please note that Bellingham, Washington (Whatcom County, on the border with Canadistan*), is deeeeep blue. (I want to have several bidders when I have to sell and move to Timbuktu.)

Gypsy

(* Courtesy the National Post. I don't make this stuff up! :D ).

The actual study is here.

You'll live the longest if you're an Asian female.

The northland low-income rural whites (like those in MN counties) had the best health plan coverage of any of the groups.

wab said:
You'll live the longest if you're an Asian female.

I fear that I will never be able to ER when I read Bud Hebeler's site.  I'm even more scared now.  Makes me think of "leveraging" my probable long life by consuming more pork products (as someone in the book "The Number" was doing.)

But thanks for the info and for the study link.

That's all fine and dandy for males combined with females. But what's the expectancy for females who combine with females? Or males who combine with males? :D

DOG52 said:
Ya'll know us southerners...............we like our fried chicken.  ;)

I wonder if a lot of that delta problem isn't water from the Mississippi. I notice that the Ohio valley doesn't look great either.

Must be 2/3 of the industrial effluent of America winds up in the Mississippi.

Ha

HaHa said:
I wonder if a lot of that delta problem isn't water from the Mississippi. I notice that the Ohio valley doesn't look great either.

Ha

The Mississippi starts in Minnesota. That's why we are so healthy. We get rid of all of our toxic waste and let it go downstream. :D

HaHa said:

Ha

Far more likely to be poverty, IMO. The San Luis Valley in southern CO is very por and not surprisingly has about the lowest lomgevity in an otherwise long-lived state.

Cut-Throat said:
The Mississippi starts in Minnesota. That's why we are so healthy. We get rid of all of our toxic waste and let it go downstream. :D

Thanks.  We've been shat on most of our life, doesn't surprise me. :dead:

I think Brewer is correct tho. Mississippi is a poor state in general but the delta is very very poor.

Doesn't look like Las Vegas is a great place to settle down in either!  Sheesh, who'd a thunk that all that sun, drinking, smoking, gambling and prostitution would shorten ones life span?

Back
Top Bottom