Not the kind of reponse I expected

I remember seeing a film on beef slaughter house about 35 years ago. Didn't eat red meat for a several years.

MJ

MJ said:
I remember seeing a film on beef slaughter house about 35 years ago. Didn't eat red meat for a several years.

Well, it's gotta come from somewhere. I can't say it bothers me, and still better than it used to be.

http://www.chipublib.org/digital/sewers/history3.html
Bubbly Creek, the old South Fork of the Chicago River, became a notorious open sewer as the newly constructed Chicago Stock Yards dumped animal carcasses into the stream. The waterway's new name derived from the bubbles caused by decaying matter which filled the river bottom.

MRGALT2U said:
Hello Kitty! It sounds great to me. In fact, I might go that route myself
if I had the energy and DIY skills. Good luck with it.

JG

I read the about this couple called the Nearings Helen and Scott Nearing. He was a radical left wing Professor who fought for things like child labor laws to keep children out of coal mines-imagine that. He realy was a P.I.A. he even got kicked out of the Communist Party he was such a pain. But I digress. He got fired from his job as a Professer at some university and could't get another job so he moved to VT, or NH and bought an old farm and lived there for years growing his own food writting books and lecturing. His wife Helen wrote a book called Living the good life. This book was a hit and they became celebs to the hippie generation.

So, what has that got to do with energy and DIY skills? They didn't have any either they learned how to do stuff by reading and asking questions and thinking things out. Energy you say? He was sixty something. When he was in their seventies they moved to Maine and started another farm and wrote more books. He lived till he was a hundred and was upset he couldn't chop his own firwood.

Their program was to work hard for half a day and rest study and interact the rest of the day. They grew their own food and built their own buildings with help from friends. They indeed lived the good life.

Kitty

Kitty said:
I read the about this couple called the Nearings Helen and Scott Nearing. He was a radical left wing Professor who fought for things like child labor laws to keep children out of coal mines-imagine that. He realy was a P.I.A. he even got kicked out of the Communist Party he was such a pain. But I digress. He got fired from his job as a Professer at some university and could't get another job so he moved to VT, or NH and bought an old farm and lived there for years growing his own food writting books and lecturing. His wife Helen wrote a book called Living the good life. This book was a hit and they became celebs to the hippie generation.

So, what has that got to do with energy and DIY skills? They didn't have any either they learned how to do stuff by reading and asking questions and thinking things out. Energy you say? He was sixty something. When he was in their seventies they moved to Maine and started another farm and wrote more books. He lived till he was a hundred and was upset he couldn't chop his own firwood.

Their program was to work hard for half a day and rest study and interact the rest of the day. They grew their own food and built their own buildings with help from friends. They indeed lived the good life.

Kitty

Like I said............lifestyle sounds good to me. No longer an option for us.

JG

MJ said:

MJ
I saw that film. It was black and white (thank goodness). They followed the cows all the way from the feedlot to the slaughterhouse. The cows entered and. . . well you don't wanna know. As they say, they use everything from the cow except the moo.

Kitty said:
So, what has that got to do with energy and DIY skills? They didn't have any either they learned how to do stuff by reading and asking questions and thinking things out.

Energy you say? He was sixty something. When he was in their seventies they moved to Maine and started another farm and wrote more books. He lived till he was a hundred and was upset he couldn't chop his own firwood.

Their program was to work hard for half a day and rest study and interact the rest of the day. They grew their own food and built their own buildings with help from friends. They indeed lived the good life. Kitty
It's amazing what you can learn to do when you can't find a good contractor. I'd love to know how much money Home Depot & Lowes gain from their classes. They're teaching entire generations to do what their great-grandparents used to do... only now we're using credit cards & power tools.

When we "senior students" compare our martial arts pains the testosterone-poisoned competitive whining occasionally gets out of hand. Eventually someone says "Geez, I hope I'm not THAT old when I'm your age!" OTOH I want to live longer than our mango trees, and I don't want to still be pruning them when I'm in triple digits.

Half a day sounds good, especially if the "hard work" is between a late breakfast and an early lunch. You're gonna enjoy it!

MJ said:

MJ

Want to get off of red meat? Read Mad Cowboy by Howard F. Lyman. The book is written by a former cattle rancher who won't eat meat.

Kitty said:
I read the about this couple called the Nearings Helen and Scott Nearing. . .

He was sixty something. When he was in their seventies they moved to Maine and started another farm and wrote more books. He lived till he was a hundred and was upset he couldn't chop his own firwood.

Kitty, I have read about the Nearings as well. Reminded me of my grandfather. When I was growing up my family heated with wood. My grandfather, though blind and over 90, could still chop wood. Taught me that chopping wood was more about finese than strength.

Martha said:
Want to get off of red meat?  Read Mad Cowboy by Howard F. Lyman.  The book is written by a former cattle rancher who won't eat meat. 
"Fast Food Nation" by Eric Schlosser, but I got over it. Still eat tofu though.

Nords said:
Still eat tofu though.

Ohhhh man, you don't want to know what they do to those poor little soybeans.

--Greg

Apocalypse . . .um . . .SOON said:
--Greg
I'm guessing you'd draw the line at kimchee!

HaHa said:
Eagle, you know how certain smells really stick with you? New cut hay or freshly plowed bottom land on the good side. But on the evil side, nothing compares to what a chicken smells like after it's been dipped in the boiling cauldron so the pin feathers can be plucked.

Now that was really sickening!

Haha

One of the biggest arguments my parents got into was over how to slaughter chickens. Daddy was for the scientific way with a special knife ,,,,, Mother was all for the blood and gore. The compromised he killed half his way and she killed half her way.....

Kitty

Apocalypse . . .um . . .SOON said:

--Greg

You all do realize that it's people? Soylent green is made out of PEOPLE!! :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom